ITR010342 Home Theater Build - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 22 Old 04-10-2012, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I am new to the forum and have been lurking a bit getting ideas and knowledge for my small theater build. It is a very humble build, but I am only 25 and live on an engineering budget... LOL! All work was done by my brother and myself, except for the carpet I am having installed.

The entire room will be "done for now" within the next two weeks. The basement of my house was finished (about 40 years ago) and was very dingy and not in good shape.

Before of the 70s basement and what I had to work with:

I removed everything and completely demolished all that was once finished in the room:

Waterproofed and installed a waterproofing underlay on the floor:

Framed in the new theater room and playroom area:

Insulated the theater room (bad picture):

Drywalled and ran electrical for sconces and recessed lighting and tray lighting in the ceiling:

Built a frame on the wall to install lighting behind screen and have sconces installed with recessed lights as well:

Painting the room, the frame, etc:
Forgive my crack... LOL

The frame will have a 110" Elite Sable Screen installed on front with blue lighting behind it. I have all this completed, but will post pics later when all is installed.

As far as Audio and Video, i will have an Epson 8350 projector mounted to ceiling, Sony 7.2 receiver, 2 12" subs, towers, etc...

Projector mounted in ceiling:

Thanks for taking a look! Still have to get the carpet installed and run all the audio wiring. Will post completed pics with my good camera as soon as I can!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 04-10-2012, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Looks very nice - Especially considering what you started with. Did you put rope lighting behind the crown molding around the soffit? I'm not seeing any speaker wiring on the stage or front wall - where are the speakers going?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 22 Old 04-10-2012, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter

I built an 8" bulkhead with 6" high crown molding to create the tray and had blue rope lights cut for the room and around the perimeter of the screen.

I will have 2 towers, 2 12" subs, and a center on the stage for now. I built the room to have a 14" wide space behind the walls all around that I can run the wiring and do any plumbing or electrical work at any time. I will also have 2 mid and 2 rear satellite speakers as well mounted accordingly in the room. The rear satellite wiring is already run because they are within the non-accessable wall.

Have the rear wiring hanging through holes in the back and will mount the speakers on the ceiling centered around the bar window.

I will have all my components in a cabinet in the back corner to the left in the picture.

The room is pretty small, only about 15'x15', so I have it so there can be other people in the other room at the bar that can see whats going on on the screen too.
post #4 of 22 Old 04-10-2012, 12:27 PM

Liked: 10
do you have an integra type r or am i just reading your screen name wrong?
post #5 of 22 Old 04-10-2012, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter

haha... yes I do. It is production #0342 2001 Integra type R in Phoenix Yellow. Car is my baby, barely driven, and mint.

Nice Username by the way... LOL
post #6 of 22 Old 04-11-2012, 05:19 AM - Thread Starter

Giving myself another shameless bump with better camera and newer pictures haha...

Another of the room looking back

Now the front (not quite finished painting) without the screen, but the blue lighting installed and on:

A short time exposure to make the room look like TRON... LOL!

So happy with the way the tray lighting turned out!
post #7 of 22 Old 04-11-2012, 05:34 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 608
cool!

PROJECTS:

post #8 of 22 Old 04-11-2012, 01:03 PM

your room looks as sick as your car, but id walk all over yours in mine. commence the **** talk!!! hope your going to the type r expo if you are ill see you there. i am really digging the rope light behind the screen looks amazing.

post #9 of 22 Old 04-12-2012, 05:51 AM - Thread Starter

[quote=flat black ricer;21895252]your room looks as sick as your car, but id walk all over yours in mine. commence the **** talk!!! hope your going to the type r expo if you are ill see you there. i am really digging the rope light behind the screen looks amazing.

QUOTE]

Nice man! That's a sweet little track hatch you have. What all is done to it?

Definitely want to go to the Expo, but may not be able too. Something always comes up when it's Expo time... still haven't made it to one yet.
post #10 of 22 Old 04-12-2012, 09:08 AM

its a fully built crvtec, type r trans, fully caged, upgraded everything on the suspension yada yada its an amazing track toy i am in the midst of shedding weight as it is a heavy pig. the car was actually in january 2012 edition of honda tuning.

i have been to two itr expos and they are stupid fun and get a little crazy. one of the guys i go with has a j32 swap itr its slow but he has fun. find time to come out you wont regret it. i am currently building my ef drag car with a one piece front end that is going to rock face.

ok sorry for derailing the thread.
post #11 of 22 Old 04-12-2012, 10:40 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 608
It is well know that the perfect trifecta AVS theater thread has pictures of a great theater, killer car and a trophy wife/girlfriend.

PROJECTS:

post #12 of 22 Old 04-12-2012, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 96
And if you have those 3 AND a shed, you're golden.

Spaceman Theater Build

post #13 of 22 Old 04-12-2012, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat black ricer View Post

its a fully built crvtec, type r trans, fully caged, upgraded everything on the suspension yada yada its an amazing track toy i am in the midst of shedding weight as it is a heavy pig. the car was actually in january 2012 edition of honda tuning.

i have been to two itr expos and they are stupid fun and get a little crazy. one of the guys i go with has a j32 swap itr its slow but he has fun. find time to come out you wont regret it. i am currently building my ef drag car with a one piece front end that is going to rock face.
ok sorry for derailing the thread.

That is awesome man! Love it! Turned that thing into a beast! I think I have that issue sitting by my toilet still... will have to crack it open! LOL!

I'd love to see that thing in action!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

It is well know that the perfect trifecta AVS theater thread has pictures of a great theater, killer car and a trophy wife/girlfriend.

LOL!

I'll bite... my girl and I!
post #14 of 22 Old 04-12-2012, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman View Post

And if you have those 3 AND a shed, you're golden.

Have a shed and detached garage!
post #15 of 22 Old 04-13-2012, 07:14 AM - Thread Starter

Well... my carpet install got pushed back almost a week, so the room can't be finished quite yet. I did get a pic of it all set up for the most part!

Just finished running all the internet and cable lines last night... Can't wait until i can set everything up finally and get furniture in there!
post #16 of 22 Old 04-20-2012, 05:04 AM - Thread Starter

So the carpet was installed yesterday, so the room is essentially complete! Have to do a nice photoshoot for it soon, but for now a cell phone pic lol!

Absolutely love the way it all came together!
post #17 of 22 Old 04-20-2012, 05:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Very nice! It sure is a great feeling isn't it!

Doug
Where there's a beer, there's a way.

post #18 of 22 Old 04-20-2012, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kezug View Post

Very nice! It sure is a great feeling isn't it!

Yeah, now I just need to save up for some nice furniture for it! It has been a long 3+ months!
post #19 of 22 Old 04-20-2012, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITR010342 View Post

Yeah, now I just need to save up for some nice furniture for it! It has been a long 3+ months!

3 months? I wish mine was done in 3 months. I'm on month 15 and I'm still not done. And even that is considered fast by some on this forum.

Looks great by the way. You really did achieve a lot in those 3 months.

post #20 of 22 Old 04-20-2012, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockmonkey2000 View Post

3 months? I wish mine was done in 3 months. I'm on month 15 and I'm still not done. And even that is considered fast by some on this forum.

Looks great by the way. You really did achieve a lot in those 3 months.

It was a small room and not too complicated given some of the theaters on here... but it is the way I wanted it. It was basically just me and my bro and a lot of man hours! Couldn't be more pleased!

Thanks all for the nice input!
post #21 of 22 Old 04-20-2012, 07:45 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
One word..... Awesome

Always Up for a Good Zombie Flick
post #22 of 22 Old 04-24-2012, 06:05 AM - Thread Starter

Finally got afround to taking good pictures with my good camera! Couldn't be more pleased with the way the room turned out!

Before and After of the game room (pretty much empty for now):

Before and After of the theater room:

The theater withe screen and ceiling lit up all together:
scoyne88 likes this.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page