Towers behind AT screens? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 04-12-2012, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Still planning but hoping to start soon. Room is 11.5 x 20.

If I go with a Seymour AT screen (110 to 120w) on an AT false wall, the bottom of my screen is going to be around 2' from the floor.

I would like to go with 3 Energy RC 70's for l/c/r. The left and right will be inside the outer frame, but they will all be obstructed by the three inches of bottom frame. How big an issue is this? Should i only be considering bookshelf type speakers that can fit completely inside the frame.

Thanks,
Pat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-12-2012, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Many have built stands/mini platforms/shelves for their speakers to get them high enough. For the RC70, it doesn't look like you would need to go that high to get that bottom driver above the bottom of the frame. Since your entire false wall is AT, including the portion below the screen, you might not even be able to tell the difference.

Spaceman Theater Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 Old 04-12-2012, 05:22 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 612
+1 looking at the picture of the RC70 all the speakers are in within a 24 inch vertical alignment, I would move them up a bit. Make some sand filled boxes big enough that the bottom woofer clears the bottom of the screen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PROJECTS:

post #4 of 7 Old 04-12-2012, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys, that makes sense. I'm just wondering if I should shop around a little and find a more compact monitor that isn't stretched so vertically. Still going through the threads and trying to get ideas. Someone should add a "show mw your speakers" thread on the sticky...

Thanks again
post #5 of 7 Old 04-12-2012, 07:38 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 612
My mains are DIY Wayne Parham's 4Pi's design and the subs are a work in progress. The 4Pi's use a 15 inch JBL woofer and a 1 inch compressor driver on a eminance horn. And before you ask they sound very natural, no honking horn sounds.

PROJECTS:

post #6 of 7 Old 04-12-2012, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter

Those look awesome. I went back to the " show me you're screen wall" page, and there were a lot more option than I remember... Thanks again.
post #7 of 7 Old 04-13-2012, 04:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

+1 looking at the picture of the RC70 all the speakers are in within a 24 inch vertical alignment, I would move them up a bit. Make some sand filled boxes big enough that the bottom woofer clears the bottom of the screen

This is exactly what I did and it works admirably. I built 12" cubes sand filled and with speaker spikes on the bottom to make them rigid.

I'm currently moving to something like BMinDC uses for higher dynamics as the speaks just don't keep up with the screen IMO.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page