Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 3 Post By pmoynahan

post #1 of 7 Old 04-19-2012, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
So I have somewhat of a unique space for my home theater in the attic. The ceilings are vaulted, fairly typical of an attic. They are 8-10 ft at the highest in the middle and 4 1/2 feet on the sides. My goal was to transform the space into a dedicated home theater. First, I was toying with the idea of a motorized screen hanging from the vaulted ceiling, but after research, I didn't want the potential of waves or to spend the $$ on a tensioned screen, so I set my sights on a fixed frame, hanging from the ceiling. After further research, hanging fixed frames from the ceiling is not recommended b/c of possible frame bowing / warping. My next challenge, I didn't have a flat wall to hang the screen on.

Both of the walls that are large enough to hang a screen have windows right in the middle with window A/C units. I knew I would need to offset the screen from the wall to accomplish mounting the screen. I searched the forums for ideas, but nothing really suited what I was trying to do, so I took pencil to paper. I came up w/ the idea of using shelf brackets, 2x4s, machine bolts, and lag screws to create an upper mount and lower support. Below is sort of a how-to / documents what I did in hopes it will give some other folks ideas. The pictures are from my phone, so they're not the greatest. Enjoy.

Here's the wall I chose to offset the screen from. These walls were covered with mirrors. I'll spare you the pain of prepping them for the screen and fast forward. Note the window and A/C unit. I also had to consider overall screen width due to the limitations of the angled ceiling:

Here we have the heavy duty shelf bracket. 2 large for the upper mount and 2 small for the lower support, bought at any big box store. I cut a 2x4 to four 29 in pieces to offset from the wall. I drilled holes in the 2x4 pieces and connected each to the shelf brackets using machine bolts and screws:

I then marked and pre-drilled holes to the wall where the brackets would be mounted to the wall. I fasted the brackets to the wall using the lag screws. Here is the end result:

Once all four offset brackets were fastened to the wall, I horizontally centered and marked two 104" 2x4s against the upper and lower brackets, pre-drilled holes into the left wall offsets, predrilled holes into left marked 104" 2x4s (including a recessed hole for the connecting hex lag screws), and fastened the left offset to the 104" 2x4 with the hex lag screw. Next I lifted and leveled each 104" 2x4 against the right offset, predrilled the same holes as the left, and then connected the right side offsets to each of they're respective 104" 2x4. Pictured below we have the upper, lower results along with a view from the front:

Next I mounted the screeen to the frame. I purchased the Elite Sable 120" screen. It came with 2 mounting plates which connect w/ wood screws and have a slight lip on them for the screen to rest. After centering each mount plate on each side of the screen, and with the help of a friend, I mounted the screen. Here is the result:

Fast forward a little bit. I mounted the projector (Panny AR100U with a monoprice ceiling mount), hooked up audio and video equipment, adjusted picture, and voila. "At my signal, unleash hell":

I still have some work to do. I'm planning on putting up acoustic transparent material around the screen to create a false wall effect (anyone have some good, recent, recommendations on fabric to use?) and conceal all the cables and wires.

Please feel free to post any questions. I'd be happy to answer them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-26-2012, 09:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
This looks really good. I was curious if something like this was possible as I would prefer to have a fixed frame than a motorized screen. My issue is that I have a window on the wall I'd like to project to so I would prefer to do something like this. Thanks for the pics and instructions.
post #3 of 7 Old 10-29-2013, 12:36 PM

Liked: 10
Man, you saved me a lot of hassle with this post. I was able to utilize this idea for my Projector screen as well. I had cabinets that the screen slightly blocked when mounted to my built-in and using this idea, I was able to extend the screen out enough to clear the doors opening and it also gave my projector screen a somewhat 3D look to it. Excellent idea and thanks again for posting it...I will see about posting some pics of how I did mine. I did not install the lower brackets as mine is hanging straight down and doesn’t seem to be moving at all. Very solid solution! Have I mentioned that this cost me a total of 20 bucks to do as well? Kudos man!
post #4 of 7 Old 10-29-2013, 12:44 PM

[IMG ALT=""]
post #5 of 7 Old 11-22-2013, 02:46 PM

I have the exact same issue as your and would like to use your awesome Idea. I have not yet purchased the screen, please share the full product name of the screen. when I search Elite Sable 120" screen i get lot of models

post #6 of 7 Old 11-22-2013, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsbshetty View Post

I have the exact same issue as your and would like to use your awesome Idea. I have not yet purchased the screen, please share the full product name of the screen. when I search Elite Sable 120" screen i get lot of models

Welcome to the forum vsbshetty!

I'd suggest checking out the screen forums here at AVS. There are a bunch of manufacturers that make great screens.

I built a floating screen variation with a DIY screen - pics in my still unfinished theater build linked in my signature.

High Desert Theater - work in progress
Building Bass - Subs

Surrounds - Easy as Pi

Storage - unRAID unDELL

post #7 of 7 Old 09-05-2014, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter

KillerCams101,

For whatever reason I wasn't getting notifications on replies, probably user error on my part, so my response is about a year delayed, but awesome work on your screen mount! I'm glad you liked my design, and that it helped you solve a similar problem. Enjoy the many movies and shows you've watched and will watch on it.

vsbshetty,

Sorry I didn't reply to your post, but I hope petew's response was helpful.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page