[linear] actuators, transducers, bass shakers – anybody know of comparative reviews? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 04-21-2012, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anybody know of any reviews where the different systems

- D-BOX,
Buttkicker,
Clark Synthesis Tactile Sound Transducers,
Crowson Tactile Motion,
AuraSoundBass Shaker,
... -

are compared with each other?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-21-2012, 12:20 PM
FOH
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Good question, I don't see enough about tactile transducers around here,...I too have become interested in the Crowson. I feel if you're going to pursue such a thing, go quality and Crowson seems to possess that to me. A fellow AVs'er Craig John utilizes them and has shared his user experience with them.

Be mindful, in my opinion, much of the experience is strongly dependent on two factors; proper optimization and blending with the primary subs/mains, and secondly how the floor is constructed in your listening room (how strong an effect relative to a high ULF/LF performance sub system).

Even though I've got a main-floor listening room built on a crawl space, I'm still interested in a tactile rig. Most high output sub systems should be able to put in motion a floor,...thus generating a similar effect of that one may have with a tactile transducer system. Craig john has articulated how the Crowson rig he installed complements his multiple SubMersive based HT system. You can read some of his comments here.

Good luck and hopefully this thread will gain some traction.

------------------------------------
Flat, Deep, Clean, Linear, and Loud
------------------------------------
Active 16.8kw, 7.3 system
(3)Seaton Cat12C up front, (4)QSC K8 sides/rears
(2)Seaton SubM-HP, (4)18" IB
post #3 of 5 Old 11-04-2012, 05:59 PM

On the same boat, waiting for some factual reviews prior to jumping on board. Heard about the buttkickers have some reliability issue and the rest are still a mystery.
post #4 of 5 Old 11-24-2012, 10:42 PM

I've got the buttkickers (no problems experienced with them) advanced transducers with wireless transmitters, they are really cool and add that extra wow when watching the movies. Buttkicker usually goes on sale a few times a year, 30% off just a few weeks ago.
D-Box from what I've been able to gather is pretty expensive (like win the lottery and I'll get one of those) You need the motion controller what ive seen range from $899 for pc based to $3599 for stand alone unit. Then you need to purchase the actuators which can be $10k depending on setup.
post #5 of 5 Old 11-25-2012, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 56
I have the buttkickers, so I can't speak to the others. Lokking at the specs, the Fs of the BK is 9Hz, whereas the Aura is 30Hz. From what I've read int he forums, the BKs extend a lot lower (as supported by the Fs).

Then again, if price is an issue, many people are happy with their bass shakers.

Tim

ICC Certified.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
||
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
||
||

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page