AnalysisParalysis Analyst

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychdoc View Post

Looks like you need to get those split systems fired up STAT! biggrin.gif

Nice work, as always. Love the sconces. Can't wait to see the effect when they are lit up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 780 Old 06-03-2013, 01:28 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
You aren't worried about reflections off all those shiny wood finishes ?
post #363 of 780 Old 06-03-2013, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 70
No. I've watched lots of movies so far and it hasn't been a problem at all.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #364 of 780 Old 06-03-2013, 05:19 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post

Looks like you need to get those split systems fired up STAT! biggrin.gif

Nice work, as always. Love the sconces. Can't wait to see the effect when they are lit up.

No worries about the ac, that isn't sweat. He was still wet from his day of surfing. biggrin.gif Don't you know how those Hawaiians do it? Up at the crack of high tide, surf all day, come in take a couple pictures of their theater, go down to the sand , roast a pig and party all night.
It's getting closer, I'm really enjoying seeing everything coming together, I really dig the style of your sconces too, especially with the close up. I couldn't troll in the first pic that the perferated sections were chrome, I thought the entire fixture was oxidized copper. Good stuff.

“Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”---Mark Twain
post #365 of 780 Old 06-03-2013, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:

No. I've watched lots of movies so far and it hasn't been a problem at all.

Wait now, first you're in Hawaii, second you have the projector working, third you are watching movies and you are still getting work done? I'm calling shenanigans here. I'm thinking I seem some evidence of Menehunes in the background there.

-

Is it solipsistic in here, or is it just me?
post #366 of 780 Old 06-03-2013, 10:20 PM - Thread Starter

Wow..... A mainlander who not only knows what a menehune is but you can spell it?!?!? I had to ask my wife who grew up here and is part Hawaiian how to spell it.

Watching movies is actually pretty hard as it is just a major reminder that the room isn't done. rolleyes.gif

Acras.... I have surfed before but I suck. Basketball was my sport. Surfing, in my opinion, is best left to vertically challenged out there (said only with pure jealously of those that can surf well).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #367 of 780 Old 06-03-2013, 11:41 PM

Quote:

Wow..... A mainlander who not only knows what a menehune is but you can spell it?!?!? I had to ask my wife who grew up here and is part Hawaiian how to spell it.

Watching movies is actually pretty hard as it is just a major reminder that the room isn't done. rolleyes.gif

Acras.... I have surfed before but I suck. Basketball was my sport. Surfing, in my opinion, is best left to vertically challenged out there (said only with pure jealously of those that can surf well).

I know the feeling , I used to surf all the time until I was about 15 or so . I was 6' and about 150 then. Came back to it when I was 30 or so , I've filled in a bit , 100# heavier give or take, and it was not the same . More controlled falling , but still fun to get home from work walk down and get in the water for a while , especially when I was dating a girl who surfed too. Now that I think about it , I think the best part was our shower after , she reintroduced me to the joy of having a beer in the shower . I just sold my board a few days ago to help fund the PJ I want to pick up.
What lamp do your sconces take ? is it a low wattage , or are they dimmable ? I really like them , but not sure if they'll fit into my plan (if I even have a plan ) .

“Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”---Mark Twain
post #368 of 780 Old 06-05-2013, 12:30 AM - Thread Starter

I painted the grills that were originally bright white. They blend in pretty well. I used three different colors in different amounts to soften the look and have them blend in as much as possible. I taped the small control panel so they remain bright white. They are easy to find now! eek.gif Overall, not great but pretty good.

post #369 of 780 Old 06-05-2013, 07:28 AM

Great job on the painting, those look much better than huge white squares on the soffit. Are you taking wagers on how long it is before you passing the controls too? I know I would have to myself . I saw something a couple days ago that you might be able to play with on those grills to blend them even more. There's a special brush you can use to simulate wood grain, I think it was in the Martha Stewart paint section at Home Depot.

post #370 of 780 Old 06-05-2013, 07:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Love the Sapele, what trim are you planning on for the corners of the columns?

(flood resilient build)

Play like a Raven

post #371 of 780 Old 06-05-2013, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Acras….. yes, I am already thinking of painting the control panel. That bright white patch is annoying but I’ll have to figure out how to paint it without painting over all the control labels next to the small round lights. My wife laughed at me last night for spending all this time on something this small. I told her it’s all about the details (and being a crazed fanatic when it comes to home theater). I’ll have to check out the wood pattern brush although I can’t imagine it will book match at all with Sapele. Still, I’m at Home Depot so much lately I might as well check it out. Thanks.

Hi Design….. Thanks for the shout-out regarding the Sapele. I love it too! biggrin.gif If it didn’t take virtually forever to do the finish myself I would have done more of the polyurethane on more than just the columns (the wood for the columns was bought as unfinished wood while the Sapele on the walls was prefinished). As far as molding on the edges and wall, I have been planning/ sanding a bunch of Sapele 4/4 wood that I will rip and use a router on to make the molding. Here is an example of a strip of unfinished Sapele that the router bit was tested on. I like the medium width with the bilateral edging. I plan on using a lot of this with other types of molding as well. This part will either look great or be pretty bad (not quite sure yet as I have exactly NO experience ever making molding)….. we shall see. wink.gif

http://s1263.photobucket.com/user/armypsychdoc/media/image_zps0eab22ec.jpg.html][/URL]

post #372 of 780 Old 06-05-2013, 05:00 PM

Psych, for the labels and lights, could you mask them off with a piece of tape trimmed to just fit what you don't want painted, or would that still leave to much white? If the labels are stickers you might be able to carefully pull them (after several close up pics), paint then reapply the stickers.
As for your comment about the molding, I think it's pretty safe to say it's going to look great, isn't most of this build your first time? Everything is looking great and I'm sure the molding will follow suit.

post #373 of 780 Old 06-05-2013, 10:25 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 26
A/C covers? I can't see any A/C covers. cool.gif

Re the control labels... Have a look at the Brother label makers. They have white lettering on clear tape that you could apply over the brown paint. And tape widths down to 3/16" wide or so. http://www.brother-usa.com/ptouch/compare-label-makers/#.UbAasLX22DA This is the one I got (twice as much in Canada for some reason mad.gif). You can even connect it to your computer to design labels from included software. You can even do bar codes for your wine collection to keep inventory. biggrin.gif

theatre build - working title
post #374 of 780 Old 06-05-2013, 11:13 PM - Thread Starter

Hey Acras...... yes, everything in this process has been a first for me. The last time I did any wood working was a small wooden sign I made in 8th grade woodshop. I guess I also made a wood birdhouse when I was in Cub Scouts with the help of my dad, does that count as experience? "Everything is look great and the molding will follow suit"????????......... now I actually feel some pressure. eek.gif Hopefully it won't suck. Still, it was very kind of you to write what you did. Thank you. On that note, I bought some more toys to help in this process (see below). I'll check out the little panel but I think the words are painted on the plastic.

Jim... I think we need to check your vision. It must be all that cold weather smile.gif Thanks though for the nice comment. I'll check out the site. Thanks! (do they do bar codes for beer bottles wink.gif )

One clarification in the picture..... there is no Star Wars tool... that belongs to my son.

post #375 of 780 Old 06-05-2013, 11:51 PM

It looks lie you've been using your new golden retriever a lot already, it looks worn out in that picture. No fair claiming credit for the molding if he's the one that'd been doing the routing and fitting.
Following up on Jim's idea, if the labels need to be curved or something other than what the brother can do, I seem to remember seeing clear adhesive sheets that can be printed on. Office supply stuff that you feed into your printer. Can't remember the name of the company but it was at staples or a similar store.

post #376 of 780 Old 06-07-2013, 12:24 AM

Beer bottles (if they stick around long enough to be labeled)...Scotch bottles...what ever you"ve got! tongue.gif

post #377 of 780 Old 06-07-2013, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter

I'll need to crack the whip on Nui. That loafer just sits around eating and sleeping. The molding needs to get done!

I've been putting in the outlets. I asked for a bunch in the room but geeez, it seems there is an outlet every two feet.

post #378 of 780 Old 06-07-2013, 03:31 PM

Pro tip ( electrician for 15 years) don't work on your knees, sit on your ass to do makeup, and if you have a skateboard around is like a little electricians creeper.

post #379 of 780 Old 06-07-2013, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter

You coming to Hawaii anytime soon? I have this double switch box that has a ton of wires in it. Makes no sense to me! I'll dig out some of your favorite beer coded per the previous message.

I imagine your finger tips have been toughened up a bunch doing this for 15 years. wink.gif

post #380 of 780 Old 06-07-2013, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acras13 View Post

Pro tip ( electrician for 15 years) don't work on your knees, sit on your ass to do makeup, and if you have a skateboard around is like a little electricians creeper.

I don't have a skateboard, but I did get this http://www.harborfreight.com/mechanics-roller-seat-3338.html

Truly a lifesaver on the 'ol bones when you have a lot of receptacles, that's for sure. Also good for detailing your cars....
post #381 of 780 Old 06-08-2013, 02:21 AM - Thread Starter

Spent the afternoon and night visiting the local sights with my sister and brother-in-law that are out visiting. Here is a quick break from the usual grind so enjoy some of the local things to see in Hawaii......

NOW BACK TO WORK!!!!!!!! ***** The sound of a whip cracking is heard in the background*****

post #382 of 780 Old 06-08-2013, 04:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 77
I hate you Doc. All this talk about Hawai'i has me wishing I could be there now. frown.gif. All good

post #383 of 780 Old 06-08-2013, 07:13 AM

Quote:

You coming to Hawaii anytime soon? I have this double switch box that has a ton of wires in it. Makes no sense to me! I'll dig out some of your favorite beer coded per the previous message.

I imagine your finger tips have been toughened up a bunch doing this for 15 years. wink.gif
If you can arrange a hop out of a west cost base, I'm not above a transport, as long as I don't have to find out what is like to land in one biggrin.gif.
What's stumping you in the box? Trouble shooting by remote is not the easiest but I'd be happy to try to walk you through it. PM me if you don't want the back and forth in your build thread, wouldn't want to take away from the scenery of Hawaii.

post #384 of 780 Old 06-08-2013, 07:33 AM

Polynesian Cultural Center???
post #385 of 780 Old 06-08-2013, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter

TMcG.... Great guess. Yes, one of the stops yesterday was at PCC. Whenever visitors come out that are new to Hawaii it's a great place to start. Their IMAX show was pretty cool. My guests all said I should include all "those features" into my theater. I guess if my next screen is 100 ft wide and 100 ft tall I'll have to do that rolleyes.gif

Acras.... thanks for the offer. There was an extra red wire in there. I guess it's called a "home run wire" or something like that. Well anyway, my brother-in-law is pretty handy and he saw that the red wire was never hooked up so it was simply a red herring. He got that box wired as I finished with the sconce lights. There is finally lights in the theater and working outlets.... WOOOOHOOOO!!!!!!!!! biggrin.gif I see the end of the tunnel! A couple of months max and everything will be done except for the star ceiling (hopefully). Here are a few pics showing the shape of light my sconces throw. Pictures don't do them justice. They are very cool looking. smile.gif

post #386 of 780 Old 06-09-2013, 11:29 PM - Thread Starter

Lots of progress this weekend. All electrical is done and running. Same with the sconce lighting and all recessed lighting. For the first time it really feels like a Theater when sitting in the room with the lights glowing against the Sapele. We set up the Fortress seating so my sister and her husband Jim could watch Avengers and get a feel for what it will be like when done. Lots of fun!! biggrin.gif

Here are some pics of my wife, her sister (far left) and my two wonderful kids... the flash took away a lot of the effect of the sconces and recessed lighting but hopefully you get a feel for it....

post #387 of 780 Old 06-10-2013, 12:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 77
That didnt look like Avengers...biggrin.gif lol

post #388 of 780 Old 06-10-2013, 08:47 AM

I see Nui is guarding your seat. Good doggy! Unless it was for himself?

post #389 of 780 Old 06-10-2013, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Now you are REALLY in trouble. Progress will slow down significantly with the seats, projector, screen, and sound in place. tongue.gif

- Nick Buol

post #390 of 780 Old 06-10-2013, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter

Avengers was the night before, on the screen was Pocahontas from last night. My little girl loves that movie for some unknown reason. And yes.... I'll need to pack that stuff up soon as it will slow me down considerably. wink.gif But, it was still fun to watch a movie and listen to my new Aerial Acoustics 5B speakers (sitting on the chair in the pic) that I'll be using for "heights" in my 11.4 system. I'm already hearing new details in movies even with these modest-to-high end bookshelf speakers compared to my large full range Def Tech's that are now boxed up. If anyone is thinking of these particular Aerials one item that would be needed is a sub, which should not come as a surprise.

Nui (Hawaiian for "big") will do anything for attention. He is a lap dog in his own mind. He would try to sit on your lap but there is no way I'd let him get on those expensive leather Fortress seats!!!

The list of things to do is starting to shrink. The next few things that need to be completed: I'll need to make the three soffit access doors for the openings, make a one step staircase with outlets, and glue the OC703 to the wall so I can put my red GOM fabric covered frames back. Anyone have experience with any particular type of glue that works best attaching OC703 to drywall???? I've bought a few spray adhesives at HD but it would save time if anyone else already knows. Thanks all for checking in.. smile.gif

Then on to all the molding (that lumber is still being worked on and slowly progresses)....

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Sony Vpl Vw1000es Projector , Integra
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page