Hawaii Home Theater Construction - Page 26 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #751 of 780 Old 03-28-2014, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Hi Jim,

The upgrade was only partially completed. They had some errors when getting the puck running and when they were doing diagnostics on it they realized they needed a different computer connector which they didn't have. So it's mostly done but still doesn't play the 4 K material (yet). They said they would be back in a week or so.

I still have a lot to do in the HT, especially the frames for the bass traps in the corners. Then I have some molding and some work to after final inspection. I've been on hold for a while but I think this weekend is a good time to get started again. smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #752 of 780 Old 04-02-2014, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter

Hi all,

I’m in the process of getting the update (I say “process” because there is an error at the end of the install that they are still working on). The Sony tech told me that the puck needed to be attached to the projector via HDMI2. The picture looked amazing but then I attempted to stretch the image and noticed it’s not even an option on HDMI2, it exists only on HDMI1. Any thoughts on this? What a disappointment if I can’t use the full chip by using my ISCO A lens. It makes no sense to upgrade to 4K if I have to zoom the image and end up losing the gained resolution. If I’m tracking correctly on this then an outboard scaler will need to be used like a Lumagen. Is there an outboard scaler that can accept the 4K signal from the Sony puck? Thanks all.

As far as the 4K content seen on the screen so far..... simply amazing. Too bad I won't bother with any of it if I can't use my A lens and fill the screen.
post #753 of 780 Old 04-02-2014, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 299

I have my upgrade set for April 11th...........so I'm no help.  I found usefulness for puck.............I placed it above my K1 schedules while doing taxes................sure did a good job. ;)

Don't know if I'll install puck as I HATE streaming...............just wait for 4k Blueray.

post #754 of 780 Old 04-04-2014, 05:08 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychdoc View Post

Hi Jim,

The upgrade was only partially completed. They had some errors when getting the puck running and when they were doing diagnostics on it they realized they needed a different computer connector which they didn't have. So it's mostly done but still doesn't play the 4 K material (yet). They said they would be back in a week or so.

I still have a lot to do in the HT, especially the frames for the bass traps in the corners. Then I have some molding and some work to after final inspection. I've been on hold for a while but I think this weekend is a good time to get started again. smile.gif

Do you have a ball park time frame when you think you might have it all wrapped up? smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychdoc View Post

Hi all,

I’m in the process of getting the update (I say “process” because there is an error at the end of the install that they are still working on). The Sony tech told me that the puck needed to be attached to the projector via HDMI2. The picture looked amazing but then I attempted to stretch the image and noticed it’s not even an option on HDMI2, it exists only on HDMI1. Any thoughts on this? What a disappointment if I can’t use the full chip by using my ISCO A lens. It makes no sense to upgrade to 4K if I have to zoom the image and end up losing the gained resolution. If I’m tracking correctly on this then an outboard scaler will need to be used like a Lumagen. Is there an outboard scaler that can accept the 4K signal from the Sony puck? Thanks all.

As far as the 4K content seen on the screen so far..... simply amazing. Too bad I won't bother with any of it if I can't use my A lens and fill the screen.

I have been reading posts on the upgrade of the 1000ES with other AVS members and I hope that when mine gets installed that it will go smoothly as you know some have not. I do not use the A lens so I am hoping that it will not be an issue for me.

It is like everything in my set up is working fine and I might mess it up by getting the install. I am asking my self why am I doing it now when there really is no 4K Blu rays...rolleyes.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post

I have my upgrade set for April 11th...........so I'm no help.  I found usefulness for puck.............I placed it above my K1 schedules while doing taxes................sure did a good job. wink.gif

Don't know if I'll install puck as I HATE streaming...............just wait for 4k Blueray.

I agree with you and that I do not really care about the puck... I am not big on streaming and think that it is silly that it takes hours to download the content. I am basically doing this upgrade in the hopes that 4K Blu ray will be around the corner. I never like to be the first when it comes to new technology. I would prefer to have everything established in a format whether it be 4K or the BR format wars and then once the dust settles and all of the bugs are worked out then come in with the purchase. I bought the 1000ES mainly because of the great 2K picture and that it was 4K equipped for the future. Did not realize that it was not totally ready for 4K i.e. 60fps....
post #755 of 780 Old 04-04-2014, 05:21 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 26
With all this talk of format wars, did anything ever happen with "Folded Space" which was suppose to be the format to end all formats, being encoded to take care of all formats on one disk? Or something.

Winterfell theatre build - working title
post #756 of 780 Old 05-09-2014, 12:12 AM - Thread Starter

I'm back….. I took a nice long break. Watching movies in here has been amazing!!!!! biggrin.gif There is still work to do so I'm still going in this thread. I finally unpacked my Real Traps Mega Traps that will be installed in the corners. Here is a pic of a couple sitting on my large kitchen island. They are much bigger than this picture suggests:

These are going in to tame the bass. I'm actually quite pleased with the sound in the room as is but hopefully this will fine tune it a bit more. I have four Aerial Acoustics SW12's subs so I can shake the house down if I wanted but there is such a thing as too much bass, IMHO. On top of these stacks will go triangle slabs of OC insulation to pack it in right to the ceiling. Here is some data from the real traps website on the ones shown:

I also had to get back to work making a ton more trim that will make the frames in front of the four corner traps. Attached to the frame will be acoustically transparent black material in the front two corners and red in the back two corners (same red material already on the acoustic panels you can see in the pic below).

Here are my boards that will make the decorative frames getting their first coat of poly:

Here is a stack of three mega traps in the corner (missing the OC corners that will go on top):

On a side note I've had my Sony 4K projector upgraded. I did this for longevity in mind. I haven't watched any 4K movies yet and probably won't until Lumagen comes up with a way to stretch the image so I can use my ISCO lens. There is no way I'm using the zoom method.

That's it for now…. more to follow…..
aecad likes this.
post #757 of 780 Old 05-17-2014, 11:24 PM - Thread Starter

I started working on the trim and tried to match it up to all the other trim pieces which was more difficult than I thought. Here are some rough pieces taking shape:

After making some errors and wasting some wood (and a heck of a lot of time), I did a quick mock-up of what it would look like (very roughly) in the corner. Of course, it is still missing the red acoustically transparent cloth as well as the OC insulation on top of my mega traps.

post #758 of 780 Old 05-18-2014, 03:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Nice trap - hope it will do what you want it to do.

Under construction: the Larch theater
post #759 of 780 Old 05-18-2014, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightlord View Post

Nice trap - hope it will do what you want it to do.

I couldn't resist. biggrin.gif
post #760 of 780 Old 05-18-2014, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Night…. i hope it works too smile.gif

Nick, I think it was a trap too (in more than one way), this portion takes far too long!

Anyway, some more progress… This is what it will look like in the rear corners. The front corners will have black speaker cloth (I don't want bright colors near my screen affecting the perceived picture quality)

nickbuol and aecad like this.
post #761 of 780 Old 05-25-2014, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter

Progress continues…..

My little helper who wants to use his new lego star wars jet as a tool to cut some fiberglass for the bass traps

I cut a ton of these triangles to place on top of my bass traps.

Here is the back corner with the bass traps and the OC fiberglass toppings

Here is one of the front corners with the black cloth screen in front of the bass traps and OC fiber. Overall, I can't say that I hear a huge difference from my seat (the sweet spot) but I am hoping for more control of the bass in the outer seats where it was a bit overwhelming

aecad likes this.
post #762 of 780 Old 06-02-2014, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quick update. My Fujitsu cassette air conditioner failed... AGAIN!. I have two installed and they both failed after about 6 months of use. I'm stuck using them as there is no way I'm going to use a split AC with a big module on my Sapele walls but I'll never use these Fujitsu cassettes again in any other application. UGH!!!

All four bass traps and screens are up and the home theater has been cleaned again. I still have a whole bunch of trim to put up but when it's done it will be fun to get some professional pics taken of the room. smile.gif
post #763 of 780 Old 06-13-2014, 11:37 PM

I thought Fujitsu was supposed to make a decent unit. What is failing? The fan, compressor or is it losing it's charge?...
...just love the new site...I am completely lost! And now we get ads in our posts?

post #764 of 780 Old 06-17-2014, 11:08 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Jim. It seems the AC units leaked from their circular cores. So far both have needed replacement. I'll never plan on using them again if I can avoid it.

I'm totally lost on this site as well but I have no time to figure it out. I'm stuck in lots of Army staff planning training. As a physician it's totally painful but required. Argh.

The rest of the house has received my recent attention and lots of progress has been made. This massive addition should be completed just in time for the Army to move us with my luck.
post #765 of 780 Old 07-19-2014, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter

I installed some new gear. As always there are lots of tweaks and small things to do in the theater. One thing that has bugged me lately is the weak wifi signal I've been getting with my W-3 Pakedge Wireless Access Points (WAPs). I've been thinking of upgrading them and finally did. The results, so far, have been awesome. I went with Pakedge's newest gear, the C36 wireless controller, and two W7s. Now my system is under one unified network name, works seamlessly, and is lightning fast. Last night, just for fun, I took my iPad out and walked to the corner of the block and still received a working signal AWESOME!!!!! I'll be able to sit in my car near the house and still download my favorite PFW podcast instead of running back inside the house to quickly download it for entertainment during the commute to work.

Here is the Pakedge C36 wireless controller:

Here are the two Pakedge W7 Waps:

And here are the results…. more than double the best previous wireless speed:

I'm very happy withe the new gear. The places in my house that had no signal are being blasted now.
post #766 of 780 Old 07-20-2014, 08:08 AM
AnalysisParalysis Analyst

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 279
I love Pakedge gear, but man is it spendy. Also love the industrial design they have going on with their newest products like the C36. Their old switches used to be a testament to their product model numbers and hideously ugly:

How is the last of the trim coming along??
post #767 of 780 Old 07-21-2014, 11:01 PM - Thread Starter

Hi TMcG....

I've been working on the rest of the house (I'm sure you can understand how that goes). Since we've added the huge addition to the house we decided to gut the two existing but dated bathrooms while we were at it. Lots of work still left to do on the house as well as the theater. The work I've been doing wouldn't interest HT enthusiasts but I'll post final pics when it's all finished in the coming months. So, to answer your question.... I still have a bunch of trim to do.

Speaking of questions, I have one... Do you know (or anyone else) what the paperclip and dog tag on my thread mean? Just curious since I don't see any explanation on this site.
post #768 of 780 Old 07-22-2014, 06:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 194
The tag means that the thread is tagged with metadata about the topics. In your case the thread is tagged with your sony projector and the brand integra. The paperclip means that there are attachments - usually just attached pictures.
post #769 of 780 Old 07-22-2014, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Ah, yes. The five most dangerous words in the English language: "While we are at it." . Man, do I know those well...

Mike Kobb
(Formerly "ReplayMike". These opinions are mine alone, and in no way reflect the opinions of employers past or present!)
"Mike's Money Pit" Build Thread
post #770 of 780 Old 07-22-2014, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike View Post
Ah, yes. The five most dangerous words in the English language: "While we are at it." . Man, do I know those well...
The anwer is "No, but put it on the backlog and I'll consider it for the next five-year plan".

Under construction: the Larch theater
post #771 of 780 Old 07-22-2014, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychdoc View Post
Hi Jim. It seems the AC units leaked from their circular cores. So far both have needed replacement. I'll never plan on using them again if I can avoid it.
I finally got someone with time to come to connect my wine cellar A/C (which I bought 2 years ago from California). The evaporator had lost it's charge of Nitrogen meaning it had a leak. When I talked to the manufacturer's Engineer, he told me that that vintage had used too aggressive a flux and it ate through the SS expansion valve. If I had installed it when I got it, it would possibly been past it's warranty. They had not done a recall. One time my procrastination has paid off! They shipped a new one and paid for the return of the other, but I still have to pay for a second visit from my friendly HVAC guy!

My current job is not what I'm used to, so I feel your pain!

post #772 of 780 Old 07-22-2014, 07:37 PM

Liked: 0
I stayed up till six in the morning reading through this whole build. I'm hooked and can't wait for pictures of the finished product. Keep it up.
post #773 of 780 Old 07-22-2014, 10:48 PM - Thread Starter

WOW Nismomatt!! That's one of the best compliments I've received. Thank you! Once I'm done I plan on finding a real photographer to take some professional pictures. I haven't shown the full room in its current form with the two rows of Fortress seating at the right angle that will really show what the room looks like for a couple reasons. For one, I want the end of the build to really pop with a big finale, or at least that's the plan.

Jim- sorry to hear about the AC problems. At least you were mostly covered. AC has been the most disappointing aspect of my build. Nothing but an expensive pain in the butt.

Fred- thanks for the explanation.

Night and Mike.... You clearly don't know my wife. There is no such thing as a five year plan, it's "while you're at it can you also do x,y,and z ....now?!? Just kidding Christine (I know she will see this eventually). . Actually I've been pretty fortunate that the wife and kids really like the theater too.

Last edited by psychdoc; 07-22-2014 at 10:53 PM.
post #774 of 780 Old 07-23-2014, 04:01 AM

Liked: 0
No problem doc. Honestly I wasnt going to comment on anything to avoid sounding dumb. But I was just so excited about this build I had to let you know.
post #775 of 780 Old 07-23-2014, 09:59 PM

Did I mention that I have a degree in Photography...

post #776 of 780 Old 07-25-2014, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter

Well this is something minor but fun.... someone at Pakedge saw my positive post regarding their equipment. They contacted me and wanted a little more information as well as to send me a small "goody" bag. Kinda fun.

I didn't mean to give them great advertising but the truth is the truth.. my wifi system now is a BEAST!!!! The more I'm using my system (two W7s and my C36 controller) the more everything works great, works everywhere (even down the block ), and is blazing fast.

One weird thing that I don't know if I should attribute to the new wifi system is that my Control4 system that is controlled via wifi on my ipad used to work with 90% of the instructions when I hit the master power off button that does a bunch a steps, here are a few: turns on the lights, lowers the side screens, turns on my star ceiling and stair lights to full brightness, turns off my projector and slides my A lens out of the way, then waits two minutes and turns everything off as everyone should be out of the room. Well, the one thing that used to NOT work a lot was my projector being turned off. Everything else worked but I had to go over and manually turn it off all the time. Well, now it works, or at least it has been lately. Weird. Don't know why, but it does. Is that because of the better wifi network sending all the instructions to Control4 like a sledgehammer? Not sure... but I'll take it.

Jim, you keep saying you'd like a quick Hawaii vacation. It would be tough coming out now as you are in the middle of the two weeks a year where you don't have snow but when you're ready.... I'll be happy to host you to take some pics.
post #777 of 780 Old 07-25-2014, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

That's nice of them!

Most likely, the new Pakedge gear had nothing to do with the improvement with the projector. The iPad just sends whatever command triggers your programmed sequence, and from that point on it's all on the Control4 gear to do the rest, independent of the iPad.

I had a reliability problem with my top masking curtain retracting when I shut everything down. Turns out it was a programming issue -- another action during shutdown triggered an update to a variable in the Control4, which caused one of my automated masking triggers to fire. Tricky to debug. You may have something similar, or perhaps what's called a "race condition", where several different events are happening at the same time, and depending upon which one finishes first, you get different behavior.

Mike Kobb
(Formerly "ReplayMike". These opinions are mine alone, and in no way reflect the opinions of employers past or present!)
post #778 of 780 Old 07-29-2014, 09:10 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Mike. On a down note, I had to change out my Directv DVR and my Control4 doesn't like it at all. I would assume since the same remote from Directv works, the Control4 would work too. Nope. Kinda weird. Any thoughts from Directv experts out there?

On a good note, the Pakedge package arrived. Lots of fun stuff sent as a thank you for the nice post about their gear above. Some of the items are; a bunch of t-shirts in various sizes, a couple of memory thumb drives, coffee mug, a backpack, and an assortment of barbecue sauces. Thank you to Pakedge. Here is a snapshot of the goodies:

Last edited by psychdoc; 07-29-2014 at 09:28 PM.
post #779 of 780 Old 07-29-2014, 10:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Are you controlling the DirecTV with infrared or IP?

Mike Kobb
post #780 of 780 Old 07-30-2014, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Is this the Genie system? I thought I read that there have been some issues with the standard Control4 driver for the Genie. I don't remember if this has been corrected or not. Might just need to have your dealer update the driver.
I've been using the Diamond Design IP driver for a while now without any issues.

-

Is it solipsistic in here, or is it just me?

Last edited by BllDo; 07-30-2014 at 07:21 AM.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Sony Vpl Vw1000es Projector , Integra
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page