Hawaii Home Theater Construction - Page 27 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #781 of 787 Old 09-25-2014, 09:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Hi all. I'm back. I've been working like crazy on the rest of the house but there are still things to do in the home theater as well. Here are some unfortunate updates on my full project:

House update: Review of the internet company "Stair Supplies": I have tigerwood floors throughout my house so I decided to splurge and buy a tigerwood handrail to match. When the wood handrail arrived it was inspected and looked nothing like tigerwood. It was devoid of markings. It looked like a bland piece of maple without any markings. A visitor at my house thought I bought it at Home Depot for 50-100 bucks and laughed when I said I paid over 700 for it.
I contacted the company by email and they initially declined to discuss this issue stating that wood has variations. Basically, they were saying: you get what we send you. I also sent a picture of the handrail they sent me lying on top of my tigerwood floor to open a dialogue. The difference between the handrail and the floor in the picture was quite dramatic. The floor was beautiful and the handrail was terrible looking. Here is the picture:

While talking to the head of customer service the following day I had one single question for her, “if you wanted to buy a tigerwood handrail and you walked into a stored that stocked tigerwood handrails, would you buy the one you sent me?” After a long discussion I asked her the same question again and she paused and said, “no”. I thanked her for her honesty and she said she would talk to someone within her company. The last email I received from them basically said (again, I am paraphrasing)… you get what we give you and be happy with it.
I am not the type to complain but what I feel this business did closely approaches “bait and switch” or at a minimum has no quality control measures. I am very disappointed with their efforts and strongly warn others not to trust them. This is just my opinion but if you read this, you've been warned. You can waste a lot of money quickly with these guys.

Home theater: My Fujitsu cassette air conditioners failed again. They fully leaked all their coolant and I had to get yet another replacement. I'm starting to lose track but I believe I've had a total of four coils leak and go bad. Never ever use these cassette AC units. I will switch to a central AC on the next failure which should happen in about three months. I'll need to open up a wall so I imagine it will spill a lot of sound to the side of the house by putting in duct work through my sound proof wall, but oh well. I just cannot continue to spend about 700 every three months on my home theater AC system.

Beyond those two bad stories, the rest of the house and home theater are coming along really nicely. More pics to follow.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by psychdoc; 09-25-2014 at 11:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #782 of 787 Old 09-25-2014, 10:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 38
700 for a handrail? and looks like crap to boot.
What are you going to do?
post #783 of 787 Old 09-25-2014, 10:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Send it back for a refund and go for something else?

Under construction:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #784 of 787 Old 09-25-2014, 11:16 PM - Thread Starter

I wish there were some options…. they are not willing to budge. I offered to pay more than half of the same 700 dollar bill again if they would send me another version (but this time have it actually look like tigerwood). They declined. They also made it a point to rule out refunds and returns. Basically, you order from them and they send you whatever they feel like sending you…. even if it's laughable.

I just hope enough people see this that Stair Supplies makes some process improvement changes… or goes out of business. Wishful thinking but maybe shining a light on them has some impact.

As far as the crappy tigerwood handrail I currently have is concerned… I'm not quite sure what to do with that ugly thing. I may be stuck using it on my staircase. One thing is for sure, I won't be using their company for the rest of the large stair project. They failed the initial test miserably.

Last edited by psychdoc; 09-25-2014 at 11:52 PM.
post #785 of 787 Old 09-26-2014, 12:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Get someone in to faux paint it?

Under construction:
post #786 of 787 Old 09-26-2014, 12:22 AM - Thread Starter

LOL….that is a great idea. I have no idea if that would actually work. Sadly I don't know anyone locally with type of skill. Regardless, pretty imaginative Nightlord!

post #787 of 787 Old 09-26-2014, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Did you pay with a credit card? If so, dispute the charge.
Roger Dressler likes this.

Mike Kobb
(Formerly "ReplayMike". These opinions are mine alone, and in no way reflect the opinions of employers past or present!)

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Sony Vpl Vw1000es Projector , Integra
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page