Hawaii Home Theater Construction - Page 28 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #811 of 821 Old 04-30-2015, 11:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Only one concern with sealing up the windows...Does the sun ever hit the windows? Heat build-up between the glass and the interior plywood could cause the glass to break. Could you replace the windows with an inset panel of stucco or siding or ???? to suit the exterior of your home? This way the "plugs" could be removed to go back to having windows.

Winterfell theatre build - working title
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 821 Old 05-01-2015, 12:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Jim,

Great point. I had not considered that. I'm very lucky that very little sun hits those windows after 10 am. Still, I think I'll check out some cheap tinting options that can decrease the heat a bit. Thanks again for pointing that out.
post #813 of 821 Old 05-01-2015, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter

Construction moves on…. time for two layers of 5/8ths drywall, each with green glue.

Here is the left side at the start:

A pic of a panel getting some green glue. I'm a little surprised the stuff seams completely unchanged after all this time:

Fast forward a bit. Both layers applied with green glue and caulking around all the edges.

Time for the next step… building the layers for the sapele wood and making an insert for the acoustic panel so each wall is a perfect match:

More to be done today...
post #814 of 821 Old 05-02-2015, 12:25 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Just wondering if you could drill a 1" hole at the bottom and top of the window space and insert a piece of PVC pipe with a 90 and a length of horizontally oriented pipe behind the breathable(?) baffles to allow for a little air flow to equalize the pressure and keep the space cooler. How much sound would leak out a length of 3/4" pipe (fits a 1" hole) with a 90 degree bend in it?

I think the film would have to be silvered. Black or dark might actually absorb more heat onto the glass surface.

When I inserted leaded glass into a thermal pane, I had to use clear glass instead of the low-e because of the concern of heat build-up in the "triple glass sandwich".

Winterfell theatre build - working title
post #815 of 821 Old 05-02-2015, 02:28 AM - Thread Starter

Ok, now you're making me paranoid. I'll tint the heck out of it and see if it gets hot. If it really does need additional help I'll need to defeat some of the sound proofing but to be honest, it was overkill already and any sound escaping through the windows didn't bother anyone up until now.

I was busy most of the day and a good amount of work took place.

First I cut the maple ply and covered the area that the sapele was going:

I had to dig out my old supplies and they were still as good as new:

I measured ten times and cut once. It was PERFECT!!!! Then I slopped the glue on and used my handy trowel and mounted the panel. It look great until……… SON OF A B&%*$…… THE STRIPES ARE GOING THE WRONG WAY…….I just wasted at least an hour (I cut all the panels I needed and they were all wrong! UGH! Oh well…. another lesson learned

So I fixed them:

On to making frames with my old supply of acoustically transparent cloth

And installed my sharp doodads…. I forget what they are really called and have no idea what they are really used for… other than acoustic panels.

Stabbed the rigid fiberglass onto the tiny spikes while leaving room for the frame along all four edges:

Then installed the frames:

Tomorrow after the big fight I'll mount the trim I made to cover any gaps and make it look pretty….. hard day and frustrating at times but fun…. good luck everyone (again, if I can do it anyone can do it!)
Dr. Jekyll likes this.

Last edited by psychdoc; 05-02-2015 at 02:32 AM.
post #816 of 821 Old 05-02-2015, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter

Some trim starting to go up and the cleanup begins for the big fight…

Dr. Jekyll likes this.
post #817 of 821 Old 05-04-2015, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Don't you tint windows from the inside? Every tint that I've ever seen, automotive, residential, commercial, etc all went on the inside.

Wouldn't that have needed to be done BEFORE sealing things up?

I've made mistakes during my construction where others said "I would do XXXXX before you do YYYYY" and I just kept cruising along as I just wanted to get done, and now regret not doing XXXXX...
post #818 of 821 Old 05-05-2015, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Nick.... I found some online that are inside or outside. I really just need a white opaque adhesive like they do to the old jets in boneyards as no one can see these windows and no one is ever outside on that side of house besides me. Either way... not a huge problem to overcome in the big scheme of things.
I had a few people over for the fight to include Dr Jekyll from this forum (great to finally meet some fellow enthusiasts). The fight was a bit boring but you can't win them all.
I look forward to finishing all of the trim in the coming weeks as well as upgrading some equipment
post #819 of 821 Old 05-05-2015, 03:49 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychdoc View Post
Hi Nick.... I found some online that are inside or outside. I really just need a white opaque adhesive like they do to the old jets in boneyards as no one can see these windows and no one is ever outside on that side of house besides me. Either way... not a huge problem to overcome in the big scheme of things.
I had a few people over for the fight to include Dr Jekyll from this forum (great to finally meet some fellow enthusiasts). The fight was a bit boring but you can't win them all.
I look forward to finishing all of the trim in the coming weeks as well as upgrading some equipment
It was great to swing by and meet the other Doc in person! Pretty damn impressive set up if I must say.
post #820 of 821 Old 05-18-2015, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter

Work on the last window begins. As stated previously, this is a change in plans. I had planned to block out all the windows but more and more I enjoy having the window open at night and feel a nice breeze. The sound loss out of the window doesn’t seem to bother the neighbors or she isn’t being completely honest every time I ask her, which has been numerous times. I plan to use a Lutron automatic shade once the construction around the window is complete.

There are two areas wheresound can escape from my room. The first is the door area which has been neutralized by using two heavy doors, both using gaskets to make them airtight. The second is near the window. At that area you can see the metal hat channel and all the heavy layers with green glue as well as the gap behind it. I needed something to fill the gap. What high-tech material did I use you ask? I used my kids’ old water noodles. They fit very tightly and I’ll fill in any small gaps with caulking. Now before anyone says that won’t work at all….I really don’t need it to work. As is, the room is a vault. Sitting above the room in our master bedroom you can only hear the lowest bass notes during explosions and in every other portion of the house you can’t hear anything. So the noodles might only help with 1db or so but it’s more for me to feel that no part of the room as been left untreated

Starting to work on the layers below the Sapele. If you look very closely, you can see two metal wires hanging down on the left side of the window in the gap of the two boards. I'm left guessing how the power and control wires will attach into my Control4 system but at least I've got two pull wires to handle such matters...

Up went the Sapele

Making the frame for the last acoustic panel

Up went the panel but I still need to work the the window now as well as put up trim to make it all look pretty....

Last edited by psychdoc; 05-18-2015 at 01:42 PM.
post #821 of 821 Old Today, 09:30 PM - Thread Starter

The sapele wood went in today. Time to buy a Serena lutron shade that I'll hook into Control4. The two pull wires are visible to the left.

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Sony Vpl Vw1000es Projector , Integra
Gear in this thread