Hawaii Home Theater Construction - Page 28 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #811 of 816 Old 04-30-2015, 11:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Only one concern with sealing up the windows...Does the sun ever hit the windows? Heat build-up between the glass and the interior plywood could cause the glass to break. Could you replace the windows with an inset panel of stucco or siding or ???? to suit the exterior of your home? This way the "plugs" could be removed to go back to having windows.

Winterfell theatre build - working title
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 816 Old Yesterday, 12:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Jim,

Great point. I had not considered that. I'm very lucky that very little sun hits those windows after 10 am. Still, I think I'll check out some cheap tinting options that can decrease the heat a bit. Thanks again for pointing that out.
post #813 of 816 Old Yesterday, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter

Construction moves on…. time for two layers of 5/8ths drywall, each with green glue.

Here is the left side at the start:

A pic of a panel getting some green glue. I'm a little surprised the stuff seams completely unchanged after all this time:

Fast forward a bit. Both layers applied with green glue and caulking around all the edges.

Time for the next step… building the layers for the sapele wood and making an insert for the acoustic panel so each wall is a perfect match:

More to be done today...
post #814 of 816 Old Today, 12:25 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Just wondering if you could drill a 1" hole at the bottom and top of the window space and insert a piece of PVC pipe with a 90 and a length of horizontally oriented pipe behind the breathable(?) baffles to allow for a little air flow to equalize the pressure and keep the space cooler. How much sound would leak out a length of 3/4" pipe (fits a 1" hole) with a 90 degree bend in it?

I think the film would have to be silvered. Black or dark might actually absorb more heat onto the glass surface.

When I inserted leaded glass into a thermal pane, I had to use clear glass instead of the low-e because of the concern of heat build-up in the "triple glass sandwich".

Winterfell theatre build - working title
post #815 of 816 Old Today, 02:28 AM - Thread Starter

Ok, now you're making me paranoid. I'll tint the heck out of it and see if it gets hot. If it really does need additional help I'll need to defeat some of the sound proofing but to be honest, it was overkill already and any sound escaping through the windows didn't bother anyone up until now.

I was busy most of the day and a good amount of work took place.

First I cut the maple ply and covered the area that the sapele was going:

I had to dig out my old supplies and they were still as good as new:

I measured ten times and cut once. It was PERFECT!!!! Then I slopped the glue on and used my handy trowel and mounted the panel. It look great until……… SON OF A B&%*$…… THE STRIPES ARE GOING THE WRONG WAY…….I just wasted at least an hour (I cut all the panels I needed and they were all wrong! UGH! Oh well…. another lesson learned

So I fixed them:

On to making frames with my old supply of acoustically transparent cloth

And installed my sharp doodads…. I forget what they are really called and have no idea what they are really used for… other than acoustic panels.

Stabbed the rigid fiberglass onto the tiny spikes while leaving room for the frame along all four edges:

Then installed the frames:

Tomorrow after the big fight I'll mount the trim I made to cover any gaps and make it look pretty….. hard day and frustrating at times but fun…. good luck everyone (again, if I can do it anyone can do it!)

Last edited by psychdoc; Today at 02:32 AM.
post #816 of 816 Old Today, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter

Some trim starting to go up and the cleanup begins for the big fight…

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Sony Vpl Vw1000es Projector , Integra
Gear in this thread