Hawaii Home Theater Construction Finally Complete! - Page 31 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 102Likes

post #901 of 1014 Old 12-31-2015, 08:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Psychdoc, NowI will have to come to Hawaii just to see your beautiful home theater! Nice work!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 1014 Old 12-31-2015, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncola View Post
I'll let this be the 900th post in this thread. Just read the entire thread over two days. My little bedroom with blackout curtains and a projector don't seem worthy of being called a home theatre after I watched you assemble yours Lots of great information in your thread. I feel your pain on shipping costs being in hawaii too. And I thought $280 shipping for my kef towers was a lot, you paid $70 shipping per tub of green glue!
Thanks uncola, very nice of you to say. Living in Hawaii is great but the shipping costs for everything are hard to swallow.
post #903 of 1014 Old 12-31-2015, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGTweed View Post
Psychdoc, NowI will have to come to Hawaii just to see your beautiful home theater! Nice work!
Thanks PGTweed! It's note quite finished yet. Once the holidays are over I'll finish things up. If you're ever in the area I'm always open for a tour. Aloha!
post #904 of 1014 Old 01-04-2016, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Sadly, the holidays have come to a close. One thing I've noticed is that the home theater has become a part of family and friend parties. Some on the AVS have questioned if having a home theater is worth it and if it really gets used. I can say definitively that it does and it's very much worth all the time and effort. Everyone had fun on Christmas watching my little Hawaiian dance hula for everyone (she is only 4 but I'm shocked at her comfort level performing for everyone):

Meanwhile my son wanted to jump on stage and show everyone his Kajukenbo kata as well as being my elf helper during the huge game show we put on:

On Christmas we had a funny "Let's Make a Deal" version using the Kaleidescape clips to have everyone guess what movie clip was playing. The game was fun but the outcome having some choose to turn their prizes in for a "Door" of their choice (see gift bags in the background) was downright hilarious. You can't see it but the crowd in the theater was somewhere around 40 kids and adults:

TMcG likes this.

Last edited by psychdoc; 03-04-2016 at 03:02 PM.
post #905 of 1014 Old 01-04-2016, 09:01 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Sounds like great family fun time. Happy new year!

Yamaha RX-3050 5.2.4 JBL studio 1 (front, center, sorround) Tannoy Di8 DC (four on ceiling ATMOS)
Google NSZ-GT1 player
EPSON PowerLite Home Cinema 3010
post #906 of 1014 Old 01-04-2016, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drriddhish View Post
Sounds like great family fun time. Happy new year!
Thanks DrRiddhish! Happy New Year to you too!

The family finds a new reason every year to have yet one more family party. Lots of fun but waaaay too much good food and eating for me. Now it's time to burn off those calories and get going on finishing the last 2% of the theater so I can take some finished photos. I'll post the last speaker going up as well as the final touches before the full theater photos arrive.....

Also, CES happens in a couple of days. Anyone hear any good news on the front of possible new pre/pro arrivals? Some think it won't happen but "hope springs eternal"....

Last edited by psychdoc; 01-04-2016 at 12:37 PM.
post #907 of 1014 Old 01-19-2016, 06:56 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

The holidays are over, both my kids' bday parties are over, my week of call at the hospital is over... no more excuses. I finished installing all six Aerial Acoustics 5T speakers and two Aerial Acoustics 5B speakers on the ceiling today. This photo washed the dimmed star ceiling out but you still can see a few stars. Time for some last minute touches and then I'll have some real photos taken. I'm very happy with the final product.

just jim likes this.

Last edited by psychdoc; 01-19-2016 at 03:54 PM.
post #908 of 1014 Old 01-21-2016, 08:44 PM

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
It's official, I HATE YOU

You have beautiful theather and family God Bless!
post #909 of 1014 Old 01-21-2016, 09:24 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Forth_Man View Post

Yeah, but he's stuck in Hawaii missing all this great mainland weather!
The_Forth_Man likes this.

Regards,
John
post #910 of 1014 Old 01-22-2016, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

4th Man, Much appreciated!!
post #911 of 1014 Old 01-22-2016, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dormie1360 View Post
Yeah, but he's stuck in Hawaii missing all this great mainland weather!
I live in Quebec (Canada) AKA Hell froze over and our money went to the crap*r. so Yeah I'd trade that Island fun any day.
post #912 of 1014 Old 01-22-2016, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychdoc View Post
4th Man, Much appreciated!!
Dang That's how I should've spell my username. I really do hate you now!

Well you deserved it.
AbbyDaddy likes this.
post #913 of 1014 Old 01-23-2016, 11:18 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I just finished helping a professional photographer for the past 4.5 hours shoot my theater. It's funny how much better everything looks in his pics versus the garbage pics I've been posting all along in this thread. He said it would take a while before he's finished but once everything's done I'll post them here. Cheers all.
The_Forth_Man and AbbyDaddy like this.
post #914 of 1014 Old 01-23-2016, 11:46 PM

Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Can't wait to see this masterpiece!

Yamaha RX-3050A Receiver (Powering C, R L/R, S L/R, FH L/R, and RH L/R) + (2) Emotiva XPA-100 (Powering F L/R)
(2) BIC Acoustech PL-980II,(4) BIC Acoustech PL-89II,BIC Acoustech PL-28II (C),(4) BIC Acoustech HT-8C (Ceiling/Atmos),(2) PL-200 subs
Samsung UN65F8000 1080P
Sony PS4 as Blu-Ray Player + Nvidia Shield for Kodi/Various Streaming
post #915 of 1014 Old 01-25-2016, 07:06 AM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
I just finished helping a professional photographer for the past 4.5 hours shoot my theater. It's funny how much better everything looks in his pics versus the garbage pics I've been posting all along in this thread. He said it would take a while before he's finished but once everything's done I'll post them here. Cheers all.
Yup! That's exactly what we've been thinking..."OMG another update from Psychdoc. Now I have to look at those hideous pictures again!" LOL You are one of the few that actually gets off their ...chair and does something. So there are other things that annoy/embarrass us...

What's all this talk about weather on the mainland? Toronto is hovering around freezing during the day and we only have a dusting of snow. We would have to go south of the great lakes to see snow. What have you guys done down there? We had a beautiful sunny day on Friday when your East coast was getting hammered.

Went to see Star Wars in Imax 3-D last week...time to refocus. I am actually working on doors, so the dust is getting moved around.

Winterfell theatre build - working title
post #916 of 1014 Old 01-25-2016, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbyDaddy View Post
Me too !
post #917 of 1014 Old 01-25-2016, 11:03 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just jim View Post
Yup! That's exactly what we've been thinking..."OMG another update from Psychdoc. Now I have to look at those hideous pictures again!" LOL You are one of the few that actually gets off their ...chair and does something. So there are other things that annoy/embarrass us...

What's all this talk about weather on the mainland? Toronto is hovering around freezing during the day and we only have a dusting of snow. We would have to go south of the great lakes to see snow. What have you guys done down there? We had a beautiful sunny day on Friday when your East coast was getting hammered.

Went to see Star Wars in Imax 3-D last week...time to refocus. I am actually working on doors, so the dust is getting moved around.
Quote:

Quote:
Me too !

Thanks to both of you, my frozen neighbors waaaay north and east of Hawaii as well as Abby who also lives in the frozen section of the U.S. It's nice to know I'm not the only one looking at this thread (at least on purpose). Believe it or not, my big vacation of the year is to go someplace and see snow (and ski). I love snow!!!

I'll post the pics when they're all done!

Last edited by psychdoc; 01-25-2016 at 11:58 PM.
post #918 of 1014 Old 01-25-2016, 11:49 PM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Thanks to both of you, my frozen neighbors waaaay north and east of Hawaii as well as Abby who also lives in the frozen section of the U.S. It's nice to know I'm not the only looking at this thread (at least on purpose). Believe it or not, my big vacation of the year is to go someplace and see snow (and ski). I love snow!!!

I'll post the pics when they're all done!
Here in Toronto, it is currently raining and the temperature will be rising overnight to a high of 6C (43F) tomorrow. I think Vermont is a different story for skiing. I love this global warming thing!

Winterfell theatre build - working title
post #919 of 1014 Old 01-30-2016, 08:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thread compelled me to join

psychdoc -

Have enjoyed reading/observing this entire thread. The outcome is amazing. If only I could convince "the boss" that an HT is a necessary evil. (sigh)...

When you started dipping your toe into Atmos, I was really curious about how the AA 5T's were going to impact the FOSI installation, since Atmos installations are typically directly overhead.

Is there a sonic difference with them not being mounted directly overhead?
post #920 of 1014 Old 02-01-2016, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdavid7 View Post
psychdoc -

Have enjoyed reading/observing this entire thread. The outcome is amazing. If only I could convince "the boss" that an HT is a necessary evil. (sigh)...

When you started dipping your toe into Atmos, I was really curious about how the AA 5T's were going to impact the FOSI installation, since Atmos installations are typically directly overhead.

Is there a sonic difference with them not being mounted directly overhead?
Thank you for the kind words. On my ceiling there is a large soffit with a lower lip that has LED lighting, then a space painted inky black, then the FOSI star ceiling. The AA 5T's are mounted in that space. The AA 5T's are actually a good distance from the walls but in line with Dolby Atmos recommendations to have the ceiling speakers roughly in line with the main L and R. The speakers should not go overhead unless you are using Auro which has the "voice of god" (vog) speaker directly overhead. I don't believe there is a good way of mounting speakers directly on to the FOSI ceiling without ruining the look of the entire ceiling in my opinion unless they were very small.

WhenI designed the ceiling the space where the AA 5T’s are mounted was purelyput there for looks. It was what Ibelieved would look best. I never knew I’dbe mounting speakers at those locations but I was very lucky that everythingworked out perfectly. It appearseverything was planned that way but it wasn’t.
post #921 of 1014 Old 03-04-2016, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thank you for taking a moment to check out my completed home theater! As promised, here are my final pictures

Final summary points:

Creator: An active duty Army Lieutenant Colonel Medical Corps officer, twice deployed to Iraq and currently stationed near Honolulu, Hawaii at a major medical center. Upon returning from my most recent deployment to Iraq I started planning in ernest and started getting my house addition set into motion. To be clear, this home theater project was completed by my hands, as well as a much larger portion of the house addition than I expected. While I appreciate all home theaters, as an avid home theater hobbyist I wanted to get my hands dirty and do this myself, for better or worse. Still, technical and “sounding board” advice was given at times by my good friend Jim Goodrich at Cinelife which was always appreciated. Thank you for everything Jim!!!!

Location: Central Oahu, north of Honolulu. This home theater was the central feature of a massive house addition transforming a cozy Hawaiian home into a home theater fan’s dream home (at least in my opinion ). As many know, living in Hawaii is expensive, especially the cost of land and housing. This contributed to many challenges in the overall build. Also, as an active duty Army officer I rolled the dice and hoped I could stay in this location for a few years and so far I’ve been correct. This reality of moving also played a part in deciding what type of equipment I looked for.

Preparation: I’ve dreamed about this project for 25 years although the version in my mind always changed until I saw a great theater a few years ago (great job Jim... it seems I know a few 'Jims'). Serious planning and researching advanced over 2-3 years. The majority of the building took place over 1.5 years during weekends, after work, and most vacations with lots of advice from fellow AVSForum members with far more construction experience than myself. Ultimately, everything was handmade from various materials, especially raw quarter cut ribbon Sapele lumber (even in the pictures below, the Sapele is far more gorgeous in person). The huge problem was that up to this point, I had never built anything, ever! This was one primary mission of my build thread... to show everyone; “if I can do it, anyone can!”. Hopefully that has been achieved. The other point was to keep the pressure on myself to get things done. Having a build thread is sort of like group therapy (I can't help but be a psychiatrist for a moment ), there is lots of support from the group but also people willing to call you out if you are not progressing. It truly helps. As such, a big thank you to those who answered a lot of my basic questions that kept me moving along the right path (you know who you are). A big thank you to my dad too who was willing to field numerous calls at all different times of the day and night. He tried teaching me this stuff as a kid but at the time I wasn't interested. This would have been a lot easier had I focused my attention way back then.

Big picture view: It seems there is a current trend that I see that has the same in-wall speakers in slightly similar looking theaters, which are all nice and great theaters to have, I’m sure. I attacked my theater from a different perspective... After getting a wonderful deal on some initial high end equipment, I decided I wanted a theater utilizing two channel audio quality speakers in the entire room, which in this case are Aerial Acoustics to include their flagship speaker, the 20T’s, and their newly released high end bookshelf, the 5T. How would a home theater sound if created with two channel audio quality speakers? It sounds amazing. I smile every time I hear my 20T’s ribbon tweeters sing. It only gets better with time and with newly added equipment (new processor is currently pending, likely the Trinnov Altitude but the cost will not be insignificant, ugh).

Another big difference in my theater when compared to others is the extent of soundproofing (well documented and discussed in my thread). Instead of just two layers of 5/8” drywall, I had two layers of 5/8” drywall on top of massive layers of solid 3/4” MDF panels all with layers of green glue on top of Kinetics Isomax clips with metal hat channel (see more details about this in the thread). That is in addition to gasket-sealed, massive, double mahogany doors as well as all the Sapele wood that went on the walls. As far as I know, my theater is the only thread featuring MDF adding lots of mass to the walls and ceiling. Despite early warnings that I was using a few too many Kinetics clips (I wanted to overbuild it slightly for safety considering the massive weight the MDF was adding), my theater is a black hole for sound, nothing gets in and nothing gets out. It's odd how much sound it blocks out. Even on the second floor above the theater, it acts in such a way that you can't hear anything anywhere else. It truly acts like a black hole for noise. Thankfully we have a large dog that guards the house and barks at everything as well as an exentesive security camera system.

Final thoughts: It was a pleasure building this and I have no regrets. Was it more expensive than I initially thought? Heck yes. It was also far more work than I imagined even though I imagined it was going to be very difficult. If I move will I build another theater? Probably, but hopefully not for a few years at least and only if it's a place I can see myself staying for a chunk of time.

Ok, Here are the final pictures. Without further ado:

This picturewas taken from the double mahogany doors, right in front of the two racks

The ceiling speakers are Aerial Acoustic 5B's (2) at the rear of the room and the new Aerial Acoustics 5T (6) clearly visible on the ceiling

The double, gasket sealed, Mahogany doors are both shown in the background

Four Bryston amps with 12 channels of amplification and one Parasound amp with 5 channels

Kaleidescape Premier system, Torus Power, Panamax UPS, Control4, Marantz (to be upgraded to likely Trinnov Altitude), Pakedge, Oppo and more...

ISCO Anamorphic lens on a Cineslide and a Sony VPL VW1100ES (upgraded) 4K projector

Please remember, the wide angle lens makes the screen look small, it's actually pretty big (11.5 ft wide)

Aerial Acoustics CC5 center channel, Aerial Acoustics SW12 subs (absolutely amazing, deep bass), and the Aerial Acoustics flagship speaker 20T... those ribbon tweeters are simply amazing! All speakers in rare Bird's-eye Maple. Even better looking up close

I went overkill with my "wide" speakers with Aerial Acoustics LR5's. These are utilized as main L/R speakers in many systems.

I hope everyone that spent time reading my 3+ year house addition and Hawaii Home Theater Construction build thread theater enjoyed it. I know I have and I will be sad that it's coming to an end other than future updates. Again, I appreciated those that reached out to help and offer constructive advice as well as those that asked questions. I always looked forward to checking my thread to see if there were any new posts. THANK YOU! Another big thank you to my wife and kids that supported me during this massive project. Without them, there was no reason to consider building this family theater.

V/R,

Matt..... aka: Psychdoc

Last edited by psychdoc; 03-05-2016 at 07:18 PM.
post #922 of 1014 Old 03-04-2016, 02:42 PM

Congratulation on a FANTASTIC job from top to bottom YOUR theatre is gorgeous.

My 3 year old saw the pictures and asked if we could go see Peanuts there
That was his first movie in REAL theatre so I guess thats his way of saying Job well done.
psychdoc likes this.
post #923 of 1014 Old 03-04-2016, 03:13 PM

WOW! Absolutely amazing! If you want to adopt a 39 year old male, I am willing to move to Hawaii.... LOL! JK!
psychdoc likes this.

Yamaha RX-3050A Receiver (Powering C, R L/R, S L/R, FH L/R, and RH L/R) + (2) Emotiva XPA-100 (Powering F L/R)
(2) BIC Acoustech PL-980II,(4) BIC Acoustech PL-89II,BIC Acoustech PL-28II (C),(4) BIC Acoustech HT-8C (Ceiling/Atmos),(2) PL-200 subs
Samsung UN65F8000 1080P
post #924 of 1014 Old 03-04-2016, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Congratulation on a FANTASTIC job from top to bottom YOUR theatre is gorgeous.

My 3 year old saw the pictures and asked if we could go see Peanuts there
That was his first movie in REAL theatre so I guess thats his way of saying Job well done.
Thanks 4th Man!!!!

I was told the photos may not have shown up. I think they are fixed now. Please let me know if that isn't the case (another perk of using my work computer is that the pics usually don't show up). Trying to do this between patients on a government computer never works out very smoothly.
post #925 of 1014 Old 03-04-2016, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Thanks 4th Man!!!!

I was told the photos may not have shown up. I think they are fixed now. Please let me know if that isn't the case (another perk of using my work computer is that the pics usually don't show up). Trying to do this between patients on a government computer never works out very smoothly.
They didn't show up at first I had to click on one to go on the hosting website but they are now all fixed
post #926 of 1014 Old 03-04-2016, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
WOW! Absolutely amazing! If you want to adopt a 39 year old male, I am willing to move to Hawaii.... LOL! JK!
Thanks Abby! I'm just a few years older than you so adoption is out.... maybe "big brother/big sister" program?
AbbyDaddy likes this.
post #927 of 1014 Old 03-04-2016, 05:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Turned out beautiful!! Congrats and I hope you can just enjoy the room now.
psychdoc likes this.
post #928 of 1014 Old 03-04-2016, 05:24 PM

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Awesome!
psychdoc likes this.

Yamaha RX-3050 5.2.4 JBL studio 1 (front, center, sorround) Tannoy Di8 DC (four on ceiling ATMOS)
Google NSZ-GT1 player
EPSON PowerLite Home Cinema 3010
post #929 of 1014 Old 03-04-2016, 05:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Congratulations! It turned out just great! May you have many years of enjoyment from it!
psychdoc likes this.

Mike Kobb
(Formerly "ReplayMike". These opinions are mine alone, and in no way reflect the opinions of employers past or present!)
"Mike's Money Pit" Build Thread

Last edited by JustMike; 03-04-2016 at 05:38 PM. Reason: Removed unintended giant quote block
post #930 of 1014 Old 03-04-2016, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Thanks Abby! I'm just a few years older than you so adoption is out.... maybe "big brother/big sister" program?
A guy can try, right?

Samsung UN65F8000 1080P
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Sony Vpl Vw1000es Projector , Integra
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page