Hawaii Home Theater Construction Finally Complete! - Page 33 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 86Likes
post #961 of 975 Unread 05-31-2016, 02:19 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychdoc View Post
Hi Mashie. Go to page 29, post 858. There you will see the process that I followed to make them out of Sapele wood. It wasn't very difficult and the end result looks beautiful. It helps to have a speaker with threaded holes at the bottom, however. The Aerial Acustics 5T already had 4 threaded holes to work with on the bottom. I wouldn't want to drill directly into a speaker cabinet.
Thanks I found it. The six ceiling speakers I will install in a similar way are thankfully a lot smaller but on the other hand they only have a single blind screwhole in the back. Mounting them horizontally like yours will just make everything easier and look better so I will totally steal that idea.

Under construction: Tower Cinema - 7.1.6 in a 12'x12' room
Pioneer Kuro KRP-600A | HTPC with Kodi | Panasonic DMP-BD60 | Marantz SR-7010 feeding NAD T775 and 2x NAD T743
1x Monitor Audio GSLCR | 2x Monitor Audio GS20 | 4x Monitor Audio GSFX | 6x Monitor Audio BX1 | SVS PB-13 Ultra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #962 of 975 Unread 07-06-2016, 12:20 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I have no higher praise than anything you've already heard. Wow, wow, wow, sir!

I figured I was going to "shoot for the moon" if and when I do a dedicated HT build (easily 15+ years out) by going Dali or Monitor Audio (I like form and function), but thems Aerials sure is purrrrrty, and no doubt they fit the bill perfectly.

Like some of the other posters, I've read through every spec of this thread, and it's just stupidly inspiring. What floors me the most is that you might even consider building ANOTHER HT maybe?! You're mad, but in the best way

I can certainly relate - projects, especially long, creatively laborious ones, are the most fun, and it's far too easy to look for things to tweak or justify improvements if it means more time spent working on it.

Thanks for 3 evenings of fun

This comment though...
Quote:
I'm hoping this is the year that Marantz or the others allow for 9.4.6 at a reasonable price. As soon as something is available that isn't insanely expensive I'll be ready.
HA! We'll be singing that song for a long while, I suspect...

Mr. Pibb > Dr. Pepper > Everything Else
post #963 of 975 Unread 07-06-2016, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaurhead View Post
I have no higher praise than anything you've already heard. Wow, wow, wow, sir!

I figured I was going to "shoot for the moon" if and when I do a dedicated HT build (easily 15+ years out) by going Dali or Monitor Audio (I like form and function), but thems Aerials sure is purrrrrty, and no doubt they fit the bill perfectly.

Like some of the other posters, I've read through every spec of this thread, and it's just stupidly inspiring. What floors me the most is that you might even consider building ANOTHER HT maybe?! You're mad, but in the best way

I can certainly relate - projects, especially long, creatively laborious ones, are the most fun, and it's far too easy to look for things to tweak or justify improvements if it means more time spent working on it.

Thanks for 3 evenings of fun

This comment though...
HA! We'll be singing that song for a long while, I suspect...
Thank you Jaurhead!!!! It brings a big smile to my face whenever I hear that someone had fun reading my thread just like I did (and still do) with all the great build threads out there. Having someone write that my theater is "stupidly inspiring" might be one of the best compliments I've received. Again, thank you for the compliment and for the chuckle reading that brought me. Hopefully when your 15 year timeline approaches you still want to give it a try. It's worth it.

Test out as many speakers as you can. I think it's very difficult to do this, especially out here in Hawaii, but if you can give Aerial Acoustics a try. I absolutely love the 20T mids and highs. Details not heard before come right out. Love'em!

I'm still hoping to get some more time here in Hawaii but with my recent promotion to Colonel I'm sure the Army has plans for me elsewhere sooner or later. If and when that happens, I'll be ready for my next build. And yes, I am "mad" crazy.... as any good Army psychiatrist should be.

This September I plan on moving forward with a new processor for the system.... either something new from CEDIA or I might have to finally bite the expensive bullet and get a Trinnov Altitude (Maybe). We shall see.... Anyway, thanks again!!!
post #964 of 975 Unread 07-07-2016, 12:11 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Final summary points (reposted here, on the top of page 33, for your convenience so you don't have to search around for them):

Creator: An active duty Army Lieutenant Colonel Medical Corps officer (*Edit*: recently promoted to Colonel), twice deployed to Iraq and currently stationed near Honolulu, Hawaii at a major medical center. Upon returning from my most recent deployment to Iraq I started planning in ernest and started getting my house addition set into motion. To be clear, this home theater project was completed by my hands, as well as a much larger portion of the house addition than I expected. While I appreciate all home theaters, as an avid home theater hobbyist I wanted to get my hands dirty and do this myself, for better or worse. Still, technical and “sounding board” advice was given at times by my good friend Jim Goodrich at Cinelife which was always appreciated. Thank you for everything Jim!!!!

Location: Central Oahu, north of Honolulu. This home theater was the central feature of a massive house addition transforming a cozy Hawaiian home into a home theater fan dream home (at least in my opinion ). As many know, living in Hawaii is expensive, especially the cost of land and housing. This contributed to many challenges in the overall build. Also, as an active duty Army officer I rolled the dice and hoped I could stay in this location for a few years and so far I’ve been correct. This reality of moving also played a part in deciding what type of equipment I looked for.

Preparation: I’ve dreamed about this project for 25 years although the version in my mind always changed until I saw a great theater a few years ago (great job Jim aka "Trek737"... it seems I know a few 'Jims'). Serious planning and researching advanced over 2-3 years. The majority of the building took place over 1.5 years during weekends, after work, and most vacations with lots of advice from fellow AVSForum members with far more construction experience than myself. Ultimately, everything was handmade from various materials, especially raw quarter cut ribbon Sapele lumber (even in the pictures below, the Sapele is far more gorgeous in person). The huge problem was that up to this point, I had never built anything, ever! This was one primary mission of my build thread... to show everyone; “if I can do it, anyone can!”. Hopefully that has been achieved. The other point was to keep the pressure on myself to get things done. Having a build thread is sort of like group therapy (I can't help but be a psychiatrist for a moment ), there is lots of support from the group but also people willing to call you out if you are not progressing. It truly helps. As such, a big thank you to those who answered a lot of my basic questions that kept me moving along the right path (you know who you are). A big thank you to my dad too who was willing to field numerous calls at all different times of the day and night. He tried teaching me this stuff as a kid but at the time I wasn't interested. This would have been a lot easier had I focused my attention way back then.

Big picture view: It seems there is a current trend that I see that has the same in-wall speakers in slightly similar looking theaters, which are all nice and great theaters to have, I’m sure. I attacked my theater from a different perspective... After getting a wonderful deal on some initial high end equipment, I decided I wanted a theater utilizing two channel audio quality speakers in the entire room, which in this case are Aerial Acoustics to include their flagship speaker, the 20T’s, and their newly released high end bookshelf, the 5T. How would a home theater sound if created with two channel audio quality speakers? It sounds amazing. I smile every time I hear my 20T’s ribbon tweeters sing. It only gets better with time and with newly added equipment (new processor is currently pending, likely the Trinnov Altitude but the cost will not be insignificant, ugh).

Another big difference in my theater when compared to others is the extent of soundproofing (well documented and discussed in my thread). Instead of just two layers of 5/8” drywall, I had two layers of 5/8” drywall on top of massive layers of solid 3/4” MDF panels all with layers of green glue on top of Kinetics Isomax clips with metal hat channel (see more details about this in the thread). That is in addition to gasket-sealed, massive, double mahogany doors as well as all the Sapele wood that went on the walls. As far as I know, my theater is the only thread featuring MDF adding lots of mass to the walls and ceiling. Despite early warnings that I was using a few too many Kinetics clips (I wanted to overbuild it slightly for safety considering the massive weight the MDF was adding), my theater is a black hole for sound, nothing gets in and nothing gets out. It's odd how much sound it blocks out. Even on the second floor above the theater, it acts in such a way that you can't hear anything anywhere else. It truly acts like a black hole for noise. Thankfully we have a large dog that guards the house and barks at everything as well as an exentesive security camera system.

Final thoughts: It was a pleasure building this and I have no regrets. Was it more expensive than I initially thought? Heck yes. It was also far more work than I imagined even though I imagined it was going to be very difficult. If I move will I build another theater? Probably, but hopefully not for a few years at least and only if it's a place I can see myself staying for a chunk of time.

Ok, Here are the final pictures. Without further ado:

This picturewas taken from the double mahogany doors, right in front of the two racks

The ceiling speakers are Aerial Acoustic 5B's (2) at the rear of the room and the new Aerial Acoustics 5T (6) clearly visible on the ceiling

The double, gasket sealed, Mahogany doors are both shown in the background

Four Bryston amps with 12 channels of amplification and one Parasound amp with 5 channels

Kaleidescape Premier system, Torus Power, Panamax UPS, Control4, Marantz (to be upgraded to likely Trinnov Altitude), Pakedge, Oppo and more...

ISCO Anamorphic lens on a Cineslide and a Sony VPL VW1100ES (upgraded) 4K projector

Please remember, the wide angle lens makes the screen look small, it's actually pretty big (11.5 ft wide)

Aerial Acoustics CC5 center channel, Aerial Acoustics SW12 subs (absolutely amazing, deep bass), and the Aerial Acoustics flagship speaker 20T... those ribbon tweeters are simply amazing! All speakers in rare Bird's-eye Maple. Even better looking up close

I went overkill with my "wide" speakers with Aerial Acoustics LR5's. These are utilized as main L/R speakers in many systems.

I hope everyone that spent time reading my 3+ year house addition and Hawaii Home Theater Construction build thread theater enjoyed it. I know I have and I will be sad that it's coming to an end other than future updates. Again, I appreciated those that reached out to help and offer constructive advice as well as those that asked questions. I always looked forward to checking my thread to see if there were any new posts. THANK YOU! Another big thank you to my wife and kids that supported me during this massive project. Without them, there was no reason to consider building this family theater.

V/R,

Matt..... aka: Psychdoc
speedoflight, Djoel and gamest like this.

Last edited by psychdoc; 07-07-2016 at 12:16 AM.
post #965 of 975 Unread 07-08-2016, 06:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked: 481
Hey, I've been following this since the very beginning, and then just saw today that you (rightfully) are the current HTOTM! Congrats! Well deserved.

HT of the Month: Hawaii Home Theater
psychdoc likes this.
post #966 of 975 Unread 07-08-2016, 12:26 PM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Congratulation on Home theater of the month. You SooooOOOoooo deserve this and thank you soooOOOooo much for your service, I salute you.

A lot of hard work went into building that room and it is now time to enjoy it.

I can really relate to the optical star field work, it really is a lot more work than it looks.

You need more Brystons tho
psychdoc likes this.
post #967 of 975 Unread 07-08-2016, 12:37 PM

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 84
unbelievable set-up wow! Love the starry night sky. What projector are you using? Those 20Ts are great, my buddy has those pairs with 10Ts as rears and his set up is the best I've heard musically. It's a shame they can't source the tweeters anymore.
psychdoc likes this.

B&W/Theta Digital/MartinLogan/SVS/Sony ES/Anthem
post #968 of 975 Unread 07-08-2016, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbuol View Post
Hey, I've been following this since the very beginning, and then just saw today that you (rightfully) are the current HTOTM! Congrats! Well deserved.

HT of the Month: Hawaii Home Theater
Thanks Nick!! It was always fun to see people chime during the build. At times, too often actually, I was scratching my head while trying to figure things out and having people post on my thread solved more problems than I can count. I'll have to figure out how to edit that blue line at the bottom.... I like how you did that. In fact, can you let me know how you did that??? LOL, I can ask you or spend three hours figuring it out again.
post #969 of 975 Unread 07-08-2016, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamest View Post
Congratulation on Home theater of the month. You SooooOOOoooo deserve this and thank you soooOOOooo much for your service, I salute you.

A lot of hard work went into building that room and it is now time to enjoy it.

I can really relate to the optical star field work, it really is a lot more work than it looks.

You need more Brystons tho
Much appreciated. Yes, that star ceiling starts out easy but once you have fiber optic cable literally going everywhere in the room you have to start asking yourself... "what the heck was I thinking??!?!?!" But, once it's done it truly is amazing. It's still the biggest wow factor of the room. When I turn it off the whole room gets boring to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinlg View Post
unbelievable set-up wow! Love the starry night sky. What projector are you using? Those 20Ts are great, my buddy has those pairs with 10Ts as rears and his set up is the best I've heard musically. It's a shame they can't source the tweeters anymore.
I've not heard the 10Ts but I've heard good things about that speaker. I agree about the 20Ts.... the hidden details jump right out at you. I love'em!
post #970 of 975 Unread 07-09-2016, 08:33 AM

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 84
How edgy or bright are those 20Ts with the Brystons? I would figure you would go with Ayre or a Levinson amps paired with those. Just curious

B&W/Theta Digital/MartinLogan/SVS/Sony ES/Anthem
post #971 of 975 Unread 07-10-2016, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked: 379
Amazing it brings a happy tear to my eyes, hopefully one day I can try to build something similar, and congrats on HTOTM....
psychdoc likes this.

My sacd collection Speaker: Ascend Tower RAAL, Horizon RAAL center, Tower NrT rears
Display: Samsung PN64D7000
Source: Oppo 105D, HTPC Haswell 16TB Jriver 21, Tivo Premier, Apple TV2g ,Roku 4
Power Management :Panamax M5300-PM
post #972 of 975 Unread 07-10-2016, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinlg View Post
How edgy or bright are those 20Ts with the Brystons? I would figure you would go with Ayre or a Levinson amps paired with those. Just curious

I have no complaints. The AA 20T sounds amazing paired with the Brystons, at least to me.
post #973 of 975 Unread Yesterday, 04:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I've quickly glanced through some of the pages here, the pictures do much of the talking. I'm not one for the star-scape ceiling, but the wall construction, finish and some of the components grabbed my attention. Cinelife are also my dealer; I've been with Jim many years now, with many (hopefully) years to come (although I know he's considering winding back his HT business interests and has dropped some of his brands).

We share some commonality in hardware: Kaleidescape (brilliant); Lumagen (brilliant); Pakedge (utter rubbish). Evolution will ultimately lead to even better things, enjoy the ride.

"My interest in home theater is not only that it annoys the wife, but if it was, then that would be enough"

Last edited by gulliBELL; Yesterday at 04:49 AM.
post #974 of 975 Unread Today, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulliBELL View Post
Cinelife are also my dealer; I've been with Jim many years now, with many (hopefully) years to come (although I know he's considering winding back his HT business interests and has dropped some of his brands).

We share some commonality in hardware: Kaleidescape (brilliant); Lumagen (brilliant); Pakedge (utter rubbish). Evolution will ultimately lead to even better things, enjoy the ride.
Jim is a very nice guy and always seems to be involved with something interesting. Sorry to hear you don't like pakedge. It's been flawless in my system so far. I agree about the "ride". Things surely have been changing a lot over the past 5 years or so.
post #975 of 975 Unread Today, 08:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychdoc View Post
...Sorry to hear you don't like pakedge..
I'm surprised that any company that disassociates itself with its end-user customers as vigorously as Pakedge does can remain in business. I've tried to find a new Pakedge dealer to adopt my site since Cinelife dropped the brand and all I've been hearing is "we used to be a Pakedge dealer, but not any more". For anybody contemplating owning Pakedge hardware, good luck, and proceed cautiously with eyes wide open.

"My interest in home theater is not only that it annoys the wife, but if it was, then that would be enough"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Sony Vpl Vw1000es Projector , Integra
Gear in this thread