Hawaii Home Theater Construction Finally Complete! - Page 34 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 102Likes

post #991 of 1015 Old 11-10-2016, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 190
LOL.......... I actually laughed out loud. It took 10 seconds or so until I saw that you drew on the picture. Yes..... the Army has really cut back on their gym related budget.

Seriously though.... I always joke about my wife and her silly little weights but she truly is (say the following in deep voiced Russian accent): "Strong like Bull" or maybe "east German athlete from the 80's". She is tiny but very strong. I guess the silly little weights do something...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 1015 Old 11-11-2016, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

This thing is huge. My daughter adds some perspective. I'll need to wait for the mount to figure out all the changes needed to accommodate this matter monster.
post #993 of 1015 Old 11-12-2016, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 54
I'm going to be very interested to hear from you how it compares in terms of fan noise to the 1100ES.

Mike Kobb
(Formerly "ReplayMike". These opinions are mine alone, and in no way reflect the opinions of employers past or present!)
"Mike's Money Pit" Build Thread
post #994 of 1015 Old 11-12-2016, 09:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Y

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #995 of 1015 Old 11-26-2016, 11:39 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Time to get the new projector up and running. Here is the new beast on the floor and three feet of tape measure next to it.

telem likes this.
post #996 of 1015 Old 11-27-2016, 02:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychdoc View Post
Time to get the new projector up and running. Here is the new beast on the floor and three feet of tape measure next to it.

Geez, that thing is huge. The 1100es is 25-1/4" front to back.

Mike Kobb
(Formerly "ReplayMike". These opinions are mine alone, and in no way reflect the opinions of employers past or present!)
post #997 of 1015 Old 11-27-2016, 02:50 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike View Post
I'm going to be very interested to hear from you how it compares in terms of fan noise to the 1100ES.
I have no problem with the noise levels of the VW5000 and it's only 1.5m behind me. It is definitely louder compared to the VW1100 but when a movie is playing(normal db levels) I cannot hear it anymore. If I remember well the laser power output on mine is set at 70. The projector's lens is 6.5m away from a 140" 2.40:1 screen.
post #998 of 1015 Old 11-27-2016, 03:03 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
The dimensions seem big on paper but seeing this thing up close is silly. IT'S HUGE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by telem View Post
I have no problem with the noise levels of the VW5000 and it's only 1.5m behind me. It is definitely louder compared to the VW1100 but when a movie is playing(normal db levels) I cannot hear it anymore. If I remember well the laser power output on mine is set at 70. The projector's lens is 6.5m away from a 140" 2.40:1 screen.
Our setups are almost identical. I heard someone has all their final calibrated picture settings posted somewhere. I'm hoping to find that tomorrow. With my similar setup it's good to know a rough laser setting of 70 might work for me as well. Thanks.
post #999 of 1015 Old 11-27-2016, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Here is a quick comparison between the 5000es and the 1100es. The picture last night with just over three feet on the tape measure extended out.

Here is my pregnant wife holding the same amount of tape measure at roughly where the new projector will be going next to the current setup with my 1100es. It's clear I have some work to do to accommodate this projector.

telem and gamest like this.
post #1000 of 1015 Old 11-27-2016, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, wow. That's a great comparison. People comment on how big the 1100es is now in my theater. I'm sure they'd lose their minds if I had a 5000es in the same spot. That'd be fun to watch. ;-)

(Congratulations on your upcoming new arrival, by the way!)
psychdoc likes this.

Mike Kobb
post #1001 of 1015 Old 11-27-2016, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Do you think it's louder than the 1100es when the 1100es is on high lamp, or on low lamp? My 1100es is all but silent on low lamp, but I can certainly hear it on high lamp when a movie soundtrack gets quiet.

Mike Kobb
post #1002 of 1015 Old 11-28-2016, 09:31 AM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 48
You have been busy, my friend! Congrats!

So has the spousal unit sent you back to the Theater to keep you busy...
psychdoc likes this.

Winterfell theatre build - working title
post #1003 of 1015 Old 11-28-2016, 12:18 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Dude! That is one sick 4K light cannon you got there. I was thinking about going with the Epson 5040UB but it has nothing on that monster. I am soooooo jealous
psychdoc likes this.
post #1004 of 1015 Old 11-28-2016, 12:43 PM

Oh,
and let go of the Anamorphic lens thing.
I went through that also, I understand how cool it was back in the day, but now it is over.
Trust me(I had a ISCOIII just like you) at this point you are only degrading the image quality with that projector at this point. Anamorphic lens only hurt not help at this point.
Let it go man LOL. just saying............
from experience.
post #1005 of 1015 Old 11-28-2016, 01:39 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Do you think it's louder than the 1100es when the 1100es is on high lamp, or on low lamp? My 1100es is all but silent on low lamp, but I can certainly hear it on high lamp when a movie soundtrack gets quiet.
Hi Mike,

Yes it is. My 1100ES was always on high lamp and it never bothered me. I can hear a bit the the 5000ES when a movie soundtrack gets quiet but I really don't care. The image quality is simply phenomenal.....especially after the latest firmware update. I can now enjoy the HDR movies from my Strato

Best,

K.
post #1006 of 1015 Old 11-28-2016, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Hi Mike,

Yes it is. My 1100ES was always on high lamp and it never bothered me. I can hear a bit the the 5000ES when a movie soundtrack gets quiet but I really don't care. The image quality is simply phenomenal.....especially after the latest firmware update. I can now enjoy the HDR movies from my Strato

Best,

K.
Thanks for that!

Mike Kobb
post #1007 of 1015 Old 11-28-2016, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamest View Post
Oh,
and let go of the Anamorphic lens thing.
I went through that also, I understand how cool it was back in the day, but now it is over.
Trust me(I had a ISCOIII just like you) at this point you are only degrading the image quality with that projector at this point. Anamorphic lens only hurt not help at this point.
Let it go man LOL. just saying............
from experience.
Wow, that will be tough. I've always been a fan of using the full panel resolution that can only be done with my ISCOIII when in 2.35:1. I've never seen any distortion. Can you see a better picture with an A lens or without but using a smaller overall panel? I'll definitely play around with both options. I just love the absolute perfect picture using the full panel and brightness. It's also pretty darn fun but that's not a real reason to live by. The experiments will be fun.
post #1008 of 1015 Old 11-28-2016, 09:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 1009 Post(s)
Liked: 804
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamest View Post
Oh,
and let go of the Anamorphic lens thing.*
*except if you have a curved screen...
post #1009 of 1015 Old 11-28-2016, 11:07 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post
*except if you have a curved screen...
Hi Tim. I'm curious, how does a curve screen factor into the equation for using an A lens vs zooming?
post #1010 of 1015 Old 11-29-2016, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 1009 Post(s)
Liked: 804
Quote:
Hi Tim. I'm curious, how does a curve screen factor into the equation for using an A lens vs zooming?
The optical nature of the anamorphic lens means there is a slight amount of keystone and pincushion or "barrel distortion" which a curved screen compensates for because...well...it's curved. The actual screen in my Cine-V is slightly lower in the middle than in the corners which mirrors the expected projected image with a 1.33 lens. You cannot see this curve when the screen is installed and the frame is truly square, but with a slight radius. In my case the radius is 40' but you will also find 50' radius screens in a home environment.

When an anamorphic lens is used on a flat screen there is usually some digital manipulation of the pre-projected image to "drag" the center points of the image flush with the top and bottom as well as align the corners of the image with the corners of the screen. The closer your projector is to the screen, the more noticeable the effect. The further away your projector is has the opposite effect as you might expect. Manipulating the image causes some distortion which is only really seen in test patterns, not live action video, especially because the manipulation is so slight.

In the end zooming can be used on both fixed and curved screens but it is implied you are projecting on a 'native' flat screen.

Here's one link from Runco: https://www.manualslib.com/manual/51...d.html?page=66

Make sense?
post #1011 of 1015 Old 11-29-2016, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Wow, that will be tough. I've always been a fan of using the full panel resolution that can only be done with my ISCOIII when in 2.35:1. I've never seen any distortion. Can you see a better picture with an A lens or without but using a smaller overall panel? I'll definitely play around with both options. I just love the absolute perfect picture using the full panel and brightness. It's also pretty darn fun but that's not a real reason to live by. The experiments will be fun.
Yeah, I know what you mean and I feel your pain on this idea....as it was tough for me to let go of my ISCOIII for $1200 when I payed +2K$ for it. Along with all the time in calibrating it just right for a given projector and throw(That is a bit of an art of trial and error). But After many months of seeing what it was doing to my total light output(Down for me) and more importantly lack of sharpness, low CR with very bad black levels, I could not ignore it anymore.

Projectors today, and definitely high-end ones like the ES5000 laugh in the face of more silicon in that light path. What I mean is, ever since we went 1080p and now UHD the projectors are capable of such high quality it seems zooming with lens memory looks so much better than adding all the Cons of a A-Lens. I wish that was not the case because I really liked the look on peoples face when they saw my ISCOIII and said "What the hell is that?"LOL. I would have maybe kept mine if, Blurays came with a Vertical stretched 2.35:1 native 1080p side to the disc and all we had to do is move the lens in place to get a 1080p 2.35:1 image(full panel resolution). Well...uhmmmm... no, I dont think even that would have done it for me. A curved screen like Tim has said most definitely helps with pincushion and others problems associated with A-lens, but I am guessing that with the size of your screen and the distance you throw it is negligible. But anyway, agreed, A-Lens was fun

I have to say. One of the biggest missed opportunity for UHD standards was 2.35:1. It should have been all UHD TV/projectors were native 2.35:1 panels/wide(at higher 4.5K-ish rez) not 16:9(but now more rez) not curved but well .... look buy these new UHD TVs because they are in a higher rez and the correct aspect ratio of movies without those annoying black borders. You can watch movies just like they are in the theaters. That should have been the sales gimmick to get people on the UHD bandwagon....... and would have made all of us VERY happy

Anyways, just my opinion.
I know many would disagree, and thats cool
post #1012 of 1015 Old 11-29-2016, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post
The optical nature of the anamorphic lens means there is a slight amount of keystone and pincushion or "barrel distortion" which a curved screen compensates for because...well...it's curved. The actual screen in my Cine-V is slightly lower in the middle than in the corners which mirrors the expected projected image with a 1.33 lens. You cannot see this curve when the screen is installed and the frame is truly square, but with a slight radius. In my case the radius is 40' but you will also find 50' radius screens in a home environment.

When an anamorphic lens is used on a flat screen there is usually some digital manipulation of the pre-projected image to "drag" the center points of the image flush with the top and bottom as well as align the corners of the image with the corners of the screen. The closer your projector is to the screen, the more noticeable the effect. The further away your projector is has the opposite effect as you might expect. Manipulating the image causes some distortion which is only really seen in test patterns, not live action video, especially because the manipulation is so slight.

In the end zooming can be used on both fixed and curved screens but it is implied you are projecting on a 'native' flat screen.

Here's one link from Runco: https://www.manualslib.com/manual/51...d.html?page=66

Make sense?
Oh, just saw your post.
Yes, indeed thanks Tim. You have described that much better than I could have
post #1013 of 1015 Old 11-29-2016, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked: 416
Is there no concern over the depth of the focal plane when using curved screens and anamorphic lenses? I understand that the focus should be acceptable at all points, but I thought that the projector's lens was designed to be focused across a plane perpendicular to the axis of the lens. The curved screen corrects the geometry by bringing some portions of the surface closer to the lens than other portions of the surface, but doesn't this necessarily degrade the focus in one part of the image or another?

Acknowledging that people have been exceedingly happy with curved screens and anamorphic lenses for a long time, it would seem to me that as the advantages that come from increased resolution diminish, the relative importance of other aspects might outweigh them. Where does this focus concern land on that calculus?
post #1014 of 1015 Old 11-30-2016, 11:57 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 13
So if you're using the marantz 8802 processor, how exactly did you split the signals for the ceiling speakers. I have read through your entire thread and I don't think you mentioned how you exactly did that.
post #1015 of 1015 Old Today, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Sony Vpl Vw1000es Projector , Integra
Gear in this thread