Hawaii Home Theater Construction Finally Complete! - Page 35 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 133Likes

post #1021 of 1038 Old 02-25-2017, 01:59 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 120
So, I have to ask...

Are you the one reviewer?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	review sony.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	1991889  

Mr. Pibb > Dr. Pepper > Everything Else
7.1.4 - Marantz SR6011 - LG B6 - HTD Level 3 - PSA S3000i
Oppo 203 - PS4 - Xbox One S - Roku Ultra
60 UHD and counting...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1022 of 1038 Old 02-26-2017, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaurhead View Post
So, I have to ask...

Are you the one reviewer?
Wasn't me but at least they gave it 5 stars!
post #1023 of 1038 Old 04-08-2017, 05:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 55
I really enjoyed reading the entire thread. There is a lot of information, detailing your journey. It was like one of the movie scenes where the characters hike through rough terrain to find a paradise at the end of the journey. The design is great, lovely and enjoyable aesthetics, with audiophile gear. As they say in the South, " It don't git no better than dat!"
psychdoc likes this.

Never become so involved with something that it blinds you.

post #1024 of 1038 Old 06-13-2017, 05:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Appreciations

OK -

I took 6 hours and read through the thread from the beginning.

Seriously - thank you for showing what is possible and for your effort and expense.

My wife's response was, "There is something massive to be said for having a labour of love."

Remain in awe.
psychdoc likes this.
post #1025 of 1038 Old 06-17-2017, 12:25 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-in_TO View Post
OK -

I took 6 hours and read through the thread from the beginning.

Seriously - thank you for showing what is possible and for your effort and expense.

My wife's response was, "There is something massive to be said for having a labour of love."

Remain in awe.
One of the nicest compliments I've received. Thank you!!!

Unfortunately, this theater is about to be stripped of the equipment and packed up for our upcoming move. As much as I've lucked out and been able to stay in Hawaii for the past 12 years, the Army is sending me to Madigan Army Medical Center to work for what will likely be my last tour of service before retiring and starting work as a civilian. I've been depressed about the prospects of closing this theater since our new house will likely not support a full theater unless I build another full addition. I'll need to figure that out.

I recently put an advertisement on a few online locations to rent this house out but since I won't know if a renter will truly take care of this theater room, I'll lock it up and just rent out the rest of the house. I could change my mind if a verifiable and responsible videophile were to rent it, but what are the odds?

Who knows, maybe in the near future Hawaii Home Theater Construction might get a second project outside of Seattle, WA.
post #1026 of 1038 Old 06-18-2017, 01:14 AM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychdoc View Post
One of the nicest compliments I've received. Thank you!!!
Hey! I said I liked it!

So sorry to hear that you have to move and shut your master piece down...and leave Hawaii.

I can offer to store the equipment for you...indefinitely. No Charge, my friend!

So what are you going to do differently this time?...

Winterfell theatre build - working title
post #1027 of 1038 Old 06-18-2017, 01:47 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 43
doh, sorry to hear you have to move.

psychdoc and texpilot like this.

Gear list: Main setup - Kef Q900, Svs sb12-nsd subwoofer, onkyo 609 receiver, epson 8350 projector, elitescreens sable 92" screen, mac mini htpc
Bedroom setup: Philharmonic Audio New Philharmonitors, Odyssey Kismet Monoblocks, Soekris Dac, Hattor active preamp
post #1028 of 1038 Old 07-30-2017, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Well..... it's almost transition time. My theater is now, sadly, storage for the house which is also now a rental home. It's rented out to an ENT doc that works in the hospital I'm currently leaving. The theater is not part of the rented house and is locked.

Now we are heading to our new home in Gig Harbor, WA. I'm not sure where I'll set up a new theater but it will either be in the irregular basement space or a new addition. The wife seems to like having a theater which allows her to have her own space in the living room where she and her friends had free reign on the TV there.

Here is the outside of the home waiting for us in Gig Harbor:

The irregular basement space: It's long enough and wide enough but that ceiling could cause problems with the lowest portion only being 7.5'.... ugh! That column doesn't help too much either but I think I could maybe set something up just on the other side. It would be single row seating if I do that. Not sure at this point.

Or, I could build an addition for the theater. I'd make a few changes but I love my current theater so much I'm not sure if I'd stray too far from the current theater. The list of things I'd do differently isn't that long. Do I want to chew up the back yard, which is beautiful, to embark on another huge project???? I'll need to see what makes most sense when I get there...

I also just noticed that photobucket links are dead. Seems to be a fitting end to this thread. It was wonderful to work on but what a waste at this point....... I'm not sure if I can find all the photos but if I have time I'll try to replace many of them to make this thread worth reading and referring to in the future. So sad that many of the helpful threads will surely die now......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0164.PNG
Views:	493
Size:	887.9 KB
ID:	2261440   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0168.PNG
Views:	501
Size:	976.5 KB
ID:	2261442   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0167.PNG
Views:	495
Size:	925.1 KB
ID:	2261444  
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0165.JPG (510.1 KB, 497 views)
BllDo and Rengozu like this.

Last edited by psychdoc; 07-31-2017 at 01:08 AM.
post #1029 of 1038 Old 07-31-2017, 09:00 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Wow, your new home is beautiful. I love the unique look and style. Good luck on figuring our your plan of attack.
psychdoc likes this.
post #1030 of 1038 Old 08-05-2017, 02:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The irregular basement space: It's long enough and wide enough but that ceiling could cause problems with the lowest portion only being 7.5'.... ugh! That column doesn't help too much either but I think I could maybe set something up just on the other side. It would be single row seating if I do that. Not sure at this point.
Set up your front left and right and see how it sounds in that room. Run a room correction program too.

Money spent on the room itself is really just for your benefit. You'll never recover it when you sale. I'm about to start my second build. When I sold my home with the first one, there was little interest in the theater. At closing, I explained how many layers of sound proofing there was, insulation and what green glue was to the husband. He raised his eyebrows and was like, "Wow that's why it gets so cold in that room!" They rent the before the sale. That was the extent of his interest. But hey, I got the price I wanted! Keep this in mind, if you decide to build a second room. The square footage will add value. The sound proofing, nothing.

post #1031 of 1038 Old 08-07-2017, 08:04 AM

...yeah, YOU seem like someone that goes at things with half measures and corner cutting.

I find a quality build will always add value. Bulldogger's cold theater just means the HVAC wasn't concidered in the design. Of course a cold room will detract from home value and saleability.

Don't kid yourself, if you are going to be in Washington for any length of time (subtract the time for the design and build), you'll want something that at least resembles what you have in Hawaii or you'll be wondering why you spent any money at all...which is an option. Yes? Being as short as you are...7.5' ceiling???

Can you convert one of the garage bays?

post #1032 of 1038 Old 08-07-2017, 10:12 PM

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 120
For anyone that wants to see a brief recap of Psych's theater before/during/after construction: HT of the Month: Hawaii Home Theater

I say build it bigger than the previous in the new yard. It can have a mezzanine with entrance from the back patio!

Partly sad to hear you've had to move on from the Hawaii Home Theater, but SO excited to watch what you come up with for this one. You took out all the AV electronics, right? I think I remember the racks being in the hall just before the locking door to the theater...not that your new renter would every consider tampering with or taking any of the equipment, plus that's less you need to re-buy for your new rig!

It doesn't look like the basement has the same height as your old space, so you may consider new construction.

Mr. Pibb > Dr. Pepper > Everything Else
7.1.4 - Marantz SR6011 - LG B6 - HTD Level 3 - PSA S3000i
Oppo 203 - PS4 - Xbox One S - Roku Ultra
60 UHD and counting...

Last edited by Jaurhead; 08-07-2017 at 10:16 PM.
post #1033 of 1038 Old 08-08-2017, 09:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just jim View Post
...yeah, YOU seem like someone that goes at things with half measures and corner cutting.

I find a quality build will always add value. Bulldogger's cold theater just means the HVAC wasn't concidered in the design. Of course a cold room will detract from home value and saleability.

Don't kid yourself, if you are going to be in Washington for any length of time (subtract the time for the design and build), you'll want something that at least resembles what you have in Hawaii or you'll be wondering why you spent any money at all...which is an option. Yes? Being as short as you are...7.5' ceiling???

Can you convert one of the garage bays?
No, you completely missed the point. To the average person, the extra 10k I spent, sound proofing the room added little value. Home theater to this scale is really a fringe thing. For the average enthusiast, it's hard to count more than a few people that you truly know that have even done something like this. Theaters add value but you never recover the money spent in building the room. That's fine as long as you know that going in. As we age, other things take precedence, like college education for the kids for example. The over 120k in equipment, not counting 6 grand in just RPG diffusers , was easy to box and take with me. That was a better investment. Great gear takes you to "other places," and make you forget you are even in a room.

With such a high-end system, he'll be able to be back up and enjoying himself in no time even if he choses to use the space already available in the new home. You never lose with that investment. At the level he has, it's really capable of providing a life time of enjoyment.

When my home was first on the market,the realtor who had experience with homes with dedicated theaters, told me it would add little value. The average person loves the idea of a dedicated theater but may not see the value in paying extra for a home with one. She was right.

Last edited by Bulldogger; 08-08-2017 at 09:31 PM.
post #1034 of 1038 Old 08-08-2017, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogger View Post
No, you completely missed the point. To the average person, the extra 10k I spent, sound proofing the room added little value. Home theater to this scale is really a fringe thing. For the average enthusiast, it's hard to count more than a few people that you truly know that have even done something like this. Theaters add value but you never recover the money spent in building the room. That's fine as long as you know that going in. As we age, other things take precedence, like college education for the kids for example. The over 120k in equipment, not counting 6 grand in just RPG diffusers , was easy to box and take with me. That was a better investment. Great gear takes you to "other places," and make you forget you are even in a room.

With such a high-end system, he'll be able to be back up and enjoying himself in no time even if he choses to use the space already available in the new home. You never lose with that investment. At the level he has, it's really capable of providing a life time of enjoyment.

When my home was first on the market,the realtor who had experience with homes with dedicated theaters, told me it would add little value. The average person loves the idea of a dedicated theater but may not see the value in paying extra for a home with one. She was right.
I was simply picking up on your buyer's comment, "Wow that's why it gets so cold in that room!" If he noticed a significant difference in that room's temperature, so did others. That would weigh heavy on the decision to buy and the offered price. Who wants to spend hours at a time bundled up in a dark room? I am a contractor and have dealt with many issues with previous contractor's deficiencies. I don't know your real estate market or your homes position in it, but at this point in the Toronto's insane market, homes in the $3m+ are almost expected to have a theater. The higher the price the better the expected finish. People that I had no idea who they were or where they lived stopped me on the street to discuss the theater space that I had excavated. The owner of the house 2 doors down, who is a member of a well known band and who has a "theater", wanted to know why I was going so deep (I have an 11' ceiling, their's is 9'). [I say "theater" because their contractor told me that he just encloses an available space and lets the electronic guys take care of the sound. He's sadly done two in my immediate area.] I now have 2 of the 3 kids finished with university...so hopefully I am getting close to getting back to mine...although I'll miss the workshop!

I don't even want to think about the cost of the equipment at this point. But I do have a like-new vintage McIntosh system that will take care of the dedicated stereo sound for music that was $35k in 1990. Ya-ya, a theater is not a music venue. So they say...

post #1035 of 1038 Old 09-16-2017, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I believe I've corrected all the pictures I've posted. Some links to photobucket still work but most failed and had to be uploaded directly here. This has taken numerous hours on different days. Hopefully it's helpful for anyone wanting to learn from my build and see my mistakes as well as the points of success. Please let me know if any of the photos that I have personally posted have stopped working. Thank you!

I'm still debating what I'm going to do here in Washington. I miss my theater in Hawaii but also understand the massive commitment it will be to build another theater. I have a meeting with a contractor tomorrow morning. Not sure what I'll do but I'll post here and show the results....

Last edited by psychdoc; 09-17-2017 at 08:10 AM.
post #1036 of 1038 Old 09-26-2017, 06:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Hey psychdoc,
First, nice work and beautiful theater! Second, I was wondering where you got the materials for the acoustic panels here on Oahu, and what materials did you use?
Thanks!
post #1037 of 1038 Old 09-27-2017, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borg View Post
Hey psychdoc,
First, nice work and beautiful theater! Second, I was wondering where you got the materials for the acoustic panels here on Oahu, and what materials did you use?
Thanks!
Thank you. I'm now in the early stages of planning out a new theater and will be going down this long road once again. To answer your questions, the cloth was GOM "stop sign 1891" and the wood and OC703 insulation used in the panels were bought at Home Depot. Just go in and ask them to order it. It will take a couple weeks to come in. The GOM cloth needed to be shipped as well. If you start looking on page 9 it shows how I built them. It's on other pages too. It's pretty easy and they look great. I'd also suggest getting an electric stapler at home depot too in order to hold the cloth down to the wood. I hope all that helps.... good luck!
post #1038 of 1038 Old 09-27-2017, 11:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Thank you. I'm now in the early stages of planning out a new theater and will be going down this long road once again. To answer your questions, the cloth was GOM "stop sign 1891" and the wood and OC703 insulation used in the panels were bought at Home Depot. Just go in and ask them to order it. It will take a couple weeks to come in. The GOM cloth needed to be shipped as well. If you start looking on page 9 it shows how I built them. It's on other pages too. It's pretty easy and they look great. I'd also suggest getting an electric stapler at home depot too in order to hold the cloth down to the wood. I hope all that helps.... good luck!
Oh ok....I looked on their website and they didn't have the unfinished 703 even to order (although they have finished panels and some foam). I didn't know they could special order stuff for you, great to know, thanks! I had read the panels were somewhat inexpensive ($10-20 per panel), but who knows here in HI. What did they charge you per panel, do you remember?

I saw your posts on building the panels...nice work!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Sony Vpl Vw1000es Projector , Integra

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page