The Merrimont trace Theater has begun - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 607 Old 07-14-2013, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter
CEO FALCON SCREENS

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Been very busy lately so have not had a chance to post any updates my parents where coming up from Florida so wanted to make sure i had the seats all done so finally ordered the Rear row of seats.

i got these from a Dealer that sells Celebrity seating movie theater rocker style chairs. very happy with how they look and most importantly they a very comfortable.

DSC_1191_zps534ee0d1.jpg

DSC_1192_zps4fe0bf9f.jpg

DSC_1194_zps7eab02c6.jpg

DSC_1196_zps6a431b2d.jpg

I was also able to get the Cinemar Software up and running, I ordered a Dune Player from Mario and was very happy that he was able to get to me in just two days. I was under the gun with my parents coming down so i Reached out to Mario and he kind enough to remote out to my server and walk me through setting up DVD lobby to work with my Dune Player. It is so nice to not have to worry about a HTPC any more i love the Dune player coupled with the Cinemar software I just choose the movie i want and presto it is up and playing. I use a Harmony 1100 and RF station to control volume/ pausing and normal stuff like that i still like the feel of real buttons for stuff like that.

still need to do insteon switches int he theater and bar area and tie all that in with the automation software so when choose a movie it will dim the lights for a minute so everyone can situated in there seats then turn them off completely and then come back on dim when the movie ends.

DSC_1188_zps01d9731e.jpg

DSC_1189_zpsc045df02.jpg
prican2000 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 607 Old 07-14-2013, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 319
Looks really great Snickers.

So tell me....did your parents' jaws drop when they saw the theater and all the other great work you did in the basement??
post #453 of 607 Old 07-14-2013, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter
CEO FALCON SCREENS

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post

Looks really great Snickers.

So tell me....did your parents' jaws drop when they saw the theater and all the other great work you did in the basement??

Ya it was great seeing there reaction to it all, the last time they where here i was just getting ready to hang the drywall i remember my dad asking why the heck was i putting two layers of drywall between the joist and asking what the heck is the green sticky stuff your putting between each layer LOL!!! now he understands why biggrin.gif. My Dad has been through two heart surgeries and a minor stroke so it was very important me for him to see it and enjoy a few movies. Made are the hard work so worth it.
post #454 of 607 Old 07-15-2013, 07:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
WOW!!!!!!

All I can say is WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just joined the forum after reading thru your entire build thread - you created a Masterpiece and I will draw my inspiration from this thread. Thank you for taking the time to document most of it.
post #455 of 607 Old 07-15-2013, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter
CEO FALCON SCREENS

Quote:
Originally Posted by prican2000 View Post

WOW!!!!!!

All I can say is WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just joined the forum after reading thru your entire build thread - you created a Masterpiece and I will draw my inspiration from this thread. Thank you for taking the time to document most of it.

Thank you!!!!

welcome to the Forum read read and then read some more there so much knowledge on the forum if you have question just search forum i am willing to bet someone else has asked it before.
I drew so much inspiration from so many great build here.
post #456 of 607 Old 07-16-2013, 01:43 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Love your seating choice. room looks fantastic.
post #457 of 607 Old 07-16-2013, 07:28 AM

Can you please share more information on the rear "Theater" style seating???
post #458 of 607 Old 07-16-2013, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter
CEO FALCON SCREENS

Quote:
Originally Posted by prican2000 View Post

Can you please share more information on the rear "Theater" style seating???

i found them on ebay

but i think they actually come from midwest theater seating

i actually called the guy from ebay and ordered directly that way he was very nice and had them shipped withing 2 days and i had them in a week.
post #459 of 607 Old 07-17-2013, 08:43 AM

What a great build! Read the whole thing and am jealous of the whole area!
post #460 of 607 Old 08-10-2013, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter
CEO FALCON SCREENS

Been working on other projects but had some time to play around with lighting behind the screen, I picked up some track lighting and some LED Blue light bulbs, still working on the setup
i think i need to pic a longer track so i can the side lights shine on a angle from each side and then one light shining in the middle, also don't want the light to bounce of the screen
will be tweaking it. funny the time spent just to just show off what is behind the screen and the Screen of coarse and let guest go ohhh wow smile.gif
IMG_5135_zpsa96050d9.jpg
post #461 of 607 Old 08-10-2013, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by snickers1 View Post

Been working on other projects but had some time to play around with lighting behind the screen, I picked up some track lighting and some LED Blue light bulbs, still working on the setup
i think i need to pic a longer track so i can the side lights shine on a angle from each side and then one light shining in the middle, also don't want the light to bounce of the screen
will be tweaking it. funny the time spent just to just show off what is behind the screen and the Screen of coarse and let guest go ohhh wow smile.gif
IMG_5135_zpsa96050d9.jpg

Looks very cool!

Wish my area behind the screen was worth lighting up like yours. smile.gif

I wonder if anyone has tried putting strip LED's all around the inside edge of their screen. It would allow you to choose the color and maybe provide some really even lighting aside from the very center areas.
post #462 of 607 Old 08-11-2013, 08:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 1018
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcascio View Post

Looks very cool!

I wonder if anyone has tried putting strip LED's all around the inside edge of their screen. It would allow you to choose the color and maybe provide some really even lighting aside from the very center areas.

I always thought strobe lights might be cool. Put them on a zone, and control with remote. You could dim down the lights and show off what is behind the screen with some flare to guests.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #463 of 607 Old 08-11-2013, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter
CEO FALCON SCREENS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

I always thought strobe lights might be cool. Put them on a zone, and control with remote. You could dim down the lights and show off what is behind the screen with some flare to guests.

they are on a separate zone don't really need to dim them because the room needs to be pretty dark to get the effect you see in the pic. It will be all set with the Cinemar software so that entertaining the theater are will be dimmed and the lights behind the screen will be on
and when i movie starts everything will dim giving people time to get there seats then will all shut off. Then when movie ends and credits start lights will come back on "dim" so your not blinded. still have much work do with getting the bar area finished then will work on automating the lights/scenes to do what i want them do with the help of Mario and Dave from cinemar.
post #464 of 607 Old 08-12-2013, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 59
post #465 of 607 Old 08-12-2013, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter
CEO FALCON SCREENS

Quote:
Originally Posted by landshark1 View Post

I always LOVE to have a behind the screen "show off" light. If I'll ever redo and go for a AT setup, I'll definitely do one like that. cool.gif

Thanks... if you ever decide to go with a AT screen i can recommend a really nice one to you biggrin.gif
post #466 of 607 Old 08-12-2013, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcascio View Post

Looks very cool!

I like that idea Mario. Maybe I can try it out so everyone can see what it looks like. Not sure if I have enough lights left over or not but I already have the circuit for behind the screen lights wired and ready to go. Was going to look for blue LED bulbs similar to what snickers did (which looks great by the way biggrin.gif) but maybe I can try a different route.
post #467 of 607 Old 08-12-2013, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter
CEO FALCON SCREENS

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanice View Post

I like that idea Mario. Maybe I can try it out so everyone can see what it looks like. Not sure if I have enough lights left over or not but I already have the circuit for behind the screen lights wired and ready to go. Was going to look for blue LED bulbs similar to what snickers did (which looks great by the way biggrin.gif) but maybe I can try a different route.

i have a spare set of Blue led strip lights from when i did the light trey was thinking of using them along the top behind the screen to see if they will fill the area more light.
post #468 of 607 Old 09-23-2013, 08:12 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Dude. Your theater/entire basement is beyond awesome. Fantastic job.
post #469 of 607 Old 09-24-2013, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter
CEO FALCON SCREENS

Quote:
Originally Posted by kopkiwi View Post

Dude. Your theater/entire basement is beyond awesome. Fantastic job.

Thank you!! still have more to do but i am happy with how it has turned out.
post #470 of 607 Old 09-24-2013, 01:52 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:

Thank you!! still have more to do but i am happy with how it has turned out.

Have subscribed and looking forward to watching the completion.

I posted in another thread that I am very envious the price with which you Americans have access to everything. The Panny 8000 is a touch under $5k here in NZ, So about $4200 USD. Building a good quality theater would set you back the equivalent of a good sized house here in Kiwi land.
post #471 of 607 Old 09-27-2013, 12:49 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:

the riser is built with 2x8's and 2x6's
according the riser height calculator my second row will need to just under 10" , so for the rear row i will build 2" platform for just the seats that way when people step up on the riser they won't feel so close to the ceiling

IMG_4952.jpg

IMG_4951.jpg

IMG_4957.jpg

IMG_4959.jpg

BUILD IS LOOKING FANTASTIC.

Came across photos of your riser and had a couple of questions:

Am I correct in saying you used 2x8's around the perimeter and 2x6's as cross braces?

Did you use just 1 layer of 3/4" ply on top?

What is the purpose of the blocks on the cross braces? Am I correct in saying that the blocks are touching the floor and the 2x6's are not? Is that related to balancing/leveling the structure on an uneven floor?

How did you secure the structure to the concrete?

Lastly, did you fill it with anything or is that not necessary?

A/V Gear: EPSON 5030UB | 100" Elite Screen | Samsung UN46F5500 LED TV | Yamaha RX-A1010 | Emotiva XPA-3 | OPPO BDP-103 | Panamax M5300 Power Cond.| Pro-ject Carbon Debut Turntable | Polk 265-RT (L/R) | Polk 255C-RT (C) | Polk 65RT (L/R SUR) | Polk RC80i (L/R REAR SUR) | PSA XV-15 | Sonos | Apple TV

904WMC Media Room Thread
post #472 of 607 Old 09-27-2013, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter
CEO FALCON SCREENS

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnapolisSony View Post

BUILD IS LOOKING FANTASTIC.

Came across photos of your riser and had a couple of questions:

Am I correct in saying you used 2x8's around the perimeter and 2x6's as cross braces?

Did you use just 1 layer of 3/4" ply on top?

What is the purpose of the blocks on the cross braces? Am I correct in saying that the blocks are touching the floor and the 2x6's are not? Is that related to balancing/leveling the structure on an uneven floor?

How did you secure the structure to the concrete?

Lastly, did you fill it with anything or is that not necessary?

correct 2x8 and 2x6's... by using the 2x6's you save a couple $$ plus with them bing smaller makes it easy to run wires under them, the block's do touch the ground and are strictly for support, i did not secure it to floor because i have the back attach it so the back bar is secure to the concrete and is attached to the riser so that keeps the riser from moving. the top of the riser is two layers of 5/8 plywood. and filled with the fluffy insulations any r value will work.
post #473 of 607 Old 09-28-2013, 05:09 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Wow! Fantastc theater snickers I just spent at least 2 hours reading the entire thread.
You say you couldnt fit theater chairs on the riser just wondering how deep it is front to back?

I'm just starting a theater build along with finishing my basement so I will be using your build for a lot of reference.
post #474 of 607 Old 09-28-2013, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter
CEO FALCON SCREENS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundersnow View Post

Wow! Fantastc theater snickers I just spent at least 2 hours reading the entire thread.
You say you couldnt fit theater chairs on the riser just wondering how deep it is front to back?

I'm just starting a theater build along with finishing my basement so I will be using your build for a lot of reference.

Thanks smile.gif
the theater area is 15' wide by 18' deep
the riser if i remember correctly is a little 5 feet deep i would have loved to be able to fit a second row of recliners but then when you came down the steps you would be staring at the back row and it would have just not worked and also just looked bad imo
post #475 of 607 Old 09-29-2013, 07:12 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:

correct 2x8 and 2x6's... by using the 2x6's you save a couple $$ plus with them bing smaller makes it easy to run wires under them, the block's do touch the ground and are strictly for support, i did not secure it to floor because i have the back attach it so the back bar is secure to the concrete and is attached to the riser so that keeps the riser from moving. the top of the riser is two layers of 5/8 plywood. and filled with the fluffy insulations any r value will work.

Thanks for the clarification!

A/V Gear: EPSON 5030UB | 100" Elite Screen | Samsung UN46F5500 LED TV | Yamaha RX-A1010 | Emotiva XPA-3 | OPPO BDP-103 | Panamax M5300 Power Cond.| Pro-ject Carbon Debut Turntable | Polk 265-RT (L/R) | Polk 255C-RT (C) | Polk 65RT (L/R SUR) | Polk RC80i (L/R REAR SUR) | PSA XV-15 | Sonos | Apple TV

904WMC Media Room Thread
post #476 of 607 Old 10-03-2013, 10:06 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Awesome build! Are you planning to keep the foam wedges and where did you get them?
post #477 of 607 Old 10-03-2013, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter
CEO FALCON SCREENS

Quote:
Originally Posted by awilcox View Post

Awesome build! Are you planning to keep the foam wedges and where did you get them?

thanks, yes i will be keeping they give a nice effect when i turn the lights on behind the screen.

i got them here http://www.thefoamfactory.com/acousticfoam/wedgefoam.html
post #478 of 607 Old 10-03-2013, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Do you have a link for the blue LED bulbs used behind your screen?
post #479 of 607 Old 10-03-2013, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter
CEO FALCON SCREENS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman View Post

Do you have a link for the blue LED bulbs used behind your screen?

i found them on ebay , i went back in history and i think it was these http://www.ebay.com/itm/GU10-21-LED-BULB-10W-HALOGEN-BULB-EQUIVALENT-BLUE-/290870331749?pt=US_Light_Bulbs&hash=item43b9390965
Spaceman likes this.
post #480 of 607 Old 11-03-2013, 10:36 PM

Liked: 11
Just came across your thread. Looks awesome! It is very similar to what I plan on doing in my basement.

One question... how did you run power to your riser? I'm doing the exact same island style riser and have a cement floor. I'm struggling on how to get power to the riser.

Thanks.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector
Gear in this thread