Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 607 Old 09-17-2012, 06:28 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked: 722
I like Birddog Distributing,

LED is cooler to the touch uses less juice, but tends to emits a light that is a little more focused causing spotting and not all ropes are dimmable. I think Bacon Race was LED and it looks fine, OHIO was incandescent, I put up a Incadescent today. Keep in mind that some rope light aren't as bright as others, Make sure you order one that is bright enough for your application. I think Damelon ordered a "super bright" version. I had a rope that said 2 watts per foot and it was too dim. I put up a 5 watt per foot today and it is fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 607 Old 09-17-2012, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter
CEO FALCON SCREENS

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post

I just came across your thread tonight - you are subscribed. I look forward to seeing it all come together!

Thank you ..... it is slow going but that is ok sometimes you have to just accept that doing it right takes time
post #123 of 607 Old 09-17-2012, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter
CEO FALCON SCREENS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

I like Birddog Distributing,
LED is cooler to the touch uses less juice, but tends to emits a light that is a little more focused causing spotting and not all ropes are dimmable. I think Bacon Race was LED and it looks fine, OHIO was incandescent, I put up a Incadescent today. Keep in mind that some rope light aren't as bright as others, Make sure you order one that is bright enough for your application. I think Damelon ordered a "super bright" version. I had a rope that said 2 watts per foot and it was too dim. I put up a 5 watt per foot today and it is fine.

thanks for the info ....been also looking at led strip like what was used in cinemar so that is also a option have you you ever used any of that for tray lights?
post #124 of 607 Old 09-17-2012, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I can recommend the RGB LED strip lights highly. The abilty to change colors is very cool and they are plenty bright enough. They can also be dimmed.

The Austin Home Theater:
A DIY high school project (now complete and being enjoyed everyday)

post #125 of 607 Old 09-17-2012, 08:09 PM - Thread Starter
CEO FALCON SCREENS

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaustin View Post

I can recommend the RGB LED strip lights highly. The abilty to change colors is very cool and they are plenty bright enough. They can also be dimmed.

is that you used in your build that you can see in the first pic of your thread?

very nice btw
post #126 of 607 Old 09-17-2012, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Thanks! Yes, I did use the RGD LED strips in my room. Post 274 on page 10 of my thread has some more pictures of the different colors.

The Austin Home Theater:
A DIY high school project (now complete and being enjoyed everyday)

post #127 of 607 Old 09-18-2012, 07:02 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Just came across this, nice build! Was wondering about your equipment. Saw a reference to an either or for a projector, but what have you thought about using for speakers, processor/receiver, etc?
post #128 of 607 Old 09-18-2012, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter
CEO FALCON SCREENS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Lem View Post

Just came across this, nice build! Was wondering about your equipment. Saw a reference to an either or for a projector, but what have you thought about using for speakers, processor/receiver, etc?

to be honest i have not completely nailed down exactly what receiver i will be using it will be a onkyo for sure i have always had great luck with them
the L/C/R's will be econowave speakers behind an acoustical screen , as far as the rest the speakers those will probably be axiom for the rear surround and a set up the in wall hsu for in the columns
oh the projector Panasonic aeu7000

i have decide which subs yet ...been so busy with building this whole almost completely on my own that i just have not had time to sit down and completely nail down the equipment frown.gif
post #129 of 607 Old 09-23-2012, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter
CEO FALCON SCREENS

got a coat of paint on the ceiling and the soffit and finally finished boxing in the beam the runs across the room

IMG_4750_zpsc15a95c2.jpg

IMG_4751_zps784da648.jpg

IMG_4754_zps3bd16fe6.jpg
post #130 of 607 Old 09-23-2012, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter
CEO FALCON SCREENS

you can the see ceiling still needs a second coat of paint

also got the one the outlet boxes for the soffit led lights

the other wire will be for the 3" can lights that will go around the perimeter of the room

i wanted to get the light trays done this weekend but got caught with family activities

IMG_4755_zpsff54ef7f.jpg
post #131 of 607 Old 09-30-2012, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter
CEO FALCON SCREENS

a little grown and a some lights trays makes for a productive weekend

started the weekend with a mission and that was to finish the lights trays, my inspiration was combo of the bacon race and the ohio build, bacon race was the very first build i followed when i joined AVS, and Big was fist person i met here and have spent a small amount time getting to know and have loved each of builds, i have also drawn inspiration from cinimar, as i start to work on the columns and walls treatments that will be more obvious.

so we stated with putting up two inch crown molding two reasons it hides the screws in the soffit so less putty work, also it makes for nice accent when the led strips lights go in (preview of that later in the post)

IMG_4774.jpg

IMG_4777.jpg

crown will quickly let you know how straight your walls are luckily it went up fast so yo be the judge smile.gif..... i wanted to get primed crown but lowes was out, and as i walked into home depot there was a guy there that bought the last 100, pieces
so at this point i was tired of driving around to un primed i went with.

next we started the light trays these where made from 3/4 mdf cut at 6 inches, first we made the blocking to secure the front the trays to

IMG_4764.jpg

i made a notch in to pass the wires through

IMG_4763.jpg

IMG_47661.jpg

IMG_4765.jpg
post #132 of 607 Old 09-30-2012, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter
CEO FALCON SCREENS

next came the 6 inch mdf i used 3/4 for the all the straight pieces and 1/2 inch mdf for the curve above the stage

IMG_4769.jpg

next i just like the bacon race i cut 4 inch strips and 2 inch strips and then ran through the rotor to round the edges, took about 30 minutes to get the rotor table setup the way i wanted so the rounded edge was just right

IMG_4772.jpg

IMG_4770.jpg

IMG_4785.jpg

IMG_4776-1.jpg

IMG_4774-1.jpg

ran into a trick part the light tray went out past the all by 3/4 inch so i did something that was boderline dangerous i took a piece of 1/2 mdf and ripped to thin it out this did not make the table saw happy at all

but the end result was good smile.gif

IMG_4773.jpg
post #133 of 607 Old 09-30-2012, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter
CEO FALCON SCREENS

next will be installing the 3 inch lights into the trays and above the stage,

022011787909lg.jpg

and the blue lights that i got from http://www.hitlights.com/led-strip-lights/indoor-led-strip-light.html

blue1_1.jpg

and of coarse i had to test just to get a slight preview i just tossed them up there to get idea and took a crappy pic with my iphone

photo-2.jpg
post #134 of 607 Old 10-01-2012, 09:11 PM - Thread Starter
CEO FALCON SCREENS

when painting mdf should coat the whole thing in sand and sealer then primer then paint.... or just sand sealer the cut edges so it soak up the paint?

i read bacon race but this part was a little unclear
post #135 of 607 Old 10-01-2012, 09:27 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked: 722
everything, I did a sample piece with and without to convince Damelon for the need.
post #136 of 607 Old 10-01-2012, 09:39 PM - Thread Starter
CEO FALCON SCREENS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

everything, I did a sample piece with and without to convince Damelon for the need.

oh wow so put coat of sanding sealer on the whole tray then lightly sand then prime then paint
post #137 of 607 Old 10-02-2012, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I had pretty good results using dark tinted drywall primer that I had sitting around. This was mainly on the face and not cut edges. I did have one location that I tested it on that had cut edges and it seemed to do reasonably well. I never went back to sand it because it won't be seen but I'm considering trying the drywall primer once I finish my soffit work. One note, I did give the drywall primer a really light sanding on the face surfaces after it dryed and came out nice and smooth.
post #138 of 607 Old 10-02-2012, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter
CEO FALCON SCREENS

Cinemar was running special so i took the plunge and installed it and just started learning it

i had a few and i say few lightly smile.gif questions and i must say Mario and his team have been great very fast response and when your stuck they even reach out and remote to your pc and walk you through the steps

so far with in just a few hours of playing with i have my movie library loaded and Mario helped with a small issue with getting the movies to play , i have the weather app working and now really starting to handle ho wit all works

i love it because i like to learn things on my own i don't like the idea of having a dealer come to my house and having a system in my house that is all locked down so that i have to pay some one to make little changes here and there

so my hats off cinemar and Mario and his team
post #139 of 607 Old 10-02-2012, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Light tray looks awesome. Really like that [borrowed] design.

I would definitely coat the entire thing with sanding sealer. In my experience, the edges require a lot of paint to get them looking nice. On some of my edges I just took filler on my finger and rubbed it into the edge. Sand when dry.

Also pay attention to the seams where you have flat pieces butted together. I had pieces joined [what I thought was] perfectly flat, but when I painted them the seams were clearly visible. If I were doing it again I would put filler over the joint and feather it out 2 or 3 inches in either side.

Keep us posted on the Main Lobby progress. Of course what Mario can do is amazing, but I'd like to see what the average Joe can do with a little help from Cinemar support..

Tim
post #140 of 607 Old 10-02-2012, 08:36 PM - Thread Starter
CEO FALCON SCREENS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Tim View Post

Light tray looks awesome. Really like that [borrowed] design.
I would definitely coat the entire thing with sanding sealer. In my experience, the edges require a lot of paint to get them looking nice. On some of my edges I just took filler on my finger and rubbed it into the edge. Sand when dry.
Also pay attention to the seams where you have flat pieces butted together. I had pieces joined [what I thought was] perfectly flat, but when I painted them the seams were clearly visible. If I were doing it again I would put filler over the joint and feather it out 2 or 3 inches in either side.
Keep us posted on the Main Lobby progress. Of course what Mario can do is amazing, but I'd like to see what the average Joe can do with a little help from Cinemar support..
Tim

thanks yes it is borrowed but i really like the work big did, his along with Mario's work has been very inspiring

i will either puddy the seams or do like some have done when making speaker boxes out mdf and that is user automotive bondo

i will defiantly as big recommended i tested and it does look much better that way

so far cinemari am getting the hang of the software .....being a man i of coarse jumped in with both feet then went back and read the directions smile.gif
post #141 of 607 Old 10-07-2012, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter
CEO FALCON SCREENS

its all about columns .... started the weekend out by making my weekly trip to lowe's to pick some more mdf and had them cut 6 pices at 15 1/2 wide... also picked up a new jig saw, kregg jig, and straight edge eek.gif

pile of columns begging to be assembled

IMG_4787.jpg

after laying out the design it was time to break out the new toys .... at this point i remembered the the drywall crew broke both my saw horses.... cool.gif

i was going to use my black and decker jig saw but i could not even get a straight a cut with the a straight edge... the new skill saw was is so much nicer and the laser line is accurate and works great

IMG_4794.jpg

6 fronts cut

IMG_4788.jpg
post #142 of 607 Old 10-07-2012, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter
CEO FALCON SCREENS

next came attaching the sides

next new tool ...kregg jig ....... i miss my saw horses!!!!!!

IMG_4796.jpg

next came the molding for the fronts ..... i found something that seems to work and look nice at lowe's
molding.jpg

test fitting the molding to make sure everything is nice and square

IMG_4789.jpg

IMG_4790.jpg

put 3 pieces of bracing in

IMG_4800.jpg

one finished column

IMG_4793.jpg
post #143 of 607 Old 10-07-2012, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I really like the light tray design. I may have to keep it in mind when I work on my soffits. The columns look great as well.

You will really like the Kreg jig. I just got mine recently and love it. It is very easy to use and the joints are extremely strong.

Nick
post #144 of 607 Old 10-07-2012, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter
CEO FALCON SCREENS

finished building the rest of the columns ...need to finish all the moldings still

IMG_4797.jpg

IMG_4799.jpg

IMG_4804.jpg

IMG_4802.jpg

i think i found out why we build bars ............. to store our tools and materials LOL!!!

IMG_4801.jpg
post #145 of 607 Old 10-07-2012, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter
CEO FALCON SCREENS

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGiovas View Post

I really like the light tray design. I may have to keep it in mind when I work on my soffits. The columns look great as well.
You will really like the Kreg jig. I just got mine recently and love it. It is very easy to use and the joints are extremely strong.
Nick

Thanks ... yes i really like the kregg jig ... works great ..... the light tray is pretty much the same as the one build in bacon race......
the only real different is i used crown molding above the light trays

i may need to rename my build ... something new ...... something blue....... "something borrowed" smile.gif
post #146 of 607 Old 10-08-2012, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Looking good. It looks like you are really motivated and making some excellent progress!!!
post #147 of 607 Old 10-08-2012, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter
CEO FALCON SCREENS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcascio View Post

Looking good. It looks like you are really motivated and making some excellent progress!!!

thanks i don't' feel like i am making a lot of progress i only get to work on the basement on the weekends .... i have just taken a promotion thou at work and in a couple weeks will be switching to a new schedule sat sun mon 7pm to 7am then off tuesday thru sat so 3 days on 4 days off
so hoping i can work more often in the basement.
post #148 of 607 Old 10-09-2012, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by snickers1 View Post

thanks i don't' feel like i am making a lot of progress i only get to work on the basement on the weekends .... i have just taken a promotion thou at work and in a couple weeks will be switching to a new schedule sat sun mon 7pm to 7am then off tuesday thru sat so 3 days on 4 days off
so hoping i can work more often in the basement.

Congrats on the promotion.

Your new schedule looks like it will give you lots more opportunities to work in the theater...especially since you can work on it consecutively rather than taking a week off and trying to remember where you left off.
post #149 of 607 Old 10-09-2012, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter
CEO FALCON SCREENS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcascio View Post

Congrats on the promotion.
Your new schedule looks like it will give you lots more opportunities to work in the theater...especially since you can work on it consecutively rather than taking a week off and trying to remember where you left off.

thanks hopefully 12 hour shifts won't take to long to get used to ..... but during the other 4 days it will be nice to have time to work on the build and not feel like i have only limited weekend time
now i just need unlimited budget to go with the time tongue.gif
post #150 of 607 Old 10-14-2012, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter
CEO FALCON SCREENS

another weekend of columns ... got all the trim on them and in place

IMG_4807.jpg

IMG_4808.jpg

IMG_4805.jpg

i secured them to the walls with 2x2's

IMG_4812.jpg

to seal where the fronts meet the sides i was did one using car bondo just see how it would come out
it does seal the cracks up well but it a little harder to work with then just plane old wood filler ... it takes longer to cure ext... but it does work well

i also got them all wired up ...

IMG_4806.jpg
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector
Gear in this thread - Ptae8000u by PriceGrabber.com