The Merrimont trace Theater has begun - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 607 Old 11-03-2012, 08:30 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
My kitchen remodel in two years is going to have glass counter tops with/ Walnut cabinets. The counter top is not cheap, but since I am building the cabinets I will save quite a bit there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 607 Old 11-03-2012, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter
CEO FALCON SCREENS

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by fax6202 View Post

My kitchen remodel in two years is going to have glass counter tops with/ Walnut cabinets. The counter top is not cheap, but since I am building the cabinets I will save quite a bit there.

how does it compare in price to granite?? the granite i was looking is 45$ a sq ft
post #183 of 607 Old 11-03-2012, 08:37 PM
Advanced Member

The one that I plan on going with is 130.00 sq/ft. But it's 3" thick. And that quote is old. For a bar top you could go with 1.5". Its very strong. I would guess it's under 100.00 sq/ft. But Im not sure to be honest
post #184 of 607 Old 11-09-2012, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter
CEO FALCON SCREENS

finally got to filling the stage with sand ... took exactly 59 bags ....... now officially in the club now...

sand.jpg
post #185 of 607 Old 11-09-2012, 08:17 PM
Advanced Member

That has to be a major PIA to carry that down in the basement.

I think I am taking the route of most of pro builds I see online, and not having much of a stage if one at all. Looking good, good luck!

btw....very nice job on the speaker boxes
post #186 of 607 Old 11-09-2012, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter
CEO FALCON SCREENS

Quote:
Originally Posted by fax6202 View Post

That has to be a major PIA to carry that down in the basement.
I think I am taking the route of most of pro builds I see online, and not having much of a stage if one at all. Looking good, good luck!
btw....very nice job on the speaker boxes

it wasn't to bad just backed the truck into garage and just carried them down the steps.... so basically huge pain the calves from going up down the steps 60 times...

i like the stage it just gives it theater look but that is just my opinion and will say this once the sand is in it.. i is like stepping up onto a cement step ... it is solid

thanks about the speaker boxes and still need to bond o and sand them and order the pain for them......

then will cut out recess's in the wall for them , i will still have to build small shelves for them... they will be about 6 inches behind the screen
post #187 of 607 Old 11-10-2012, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter
CEO FALCON SCREENS

what a few days this was ...my plan was to finish the filling the stage with sand and finish the front step of the stage , we all started off well as you can see from previous post i got the sand and filled the stage

what i didn't finish telling was the how the dat almost turned out very very bad ... note to self a truck is lower when it has 4000 plus pounds of sand on it ... so don't pull it half way into the garage!!!
you know the at molding on the opening of your garage that has the rubber seal on it? well the nice lowe's rental truck decided to clip that and rip it off... i always dreading the wife calling and telling me she drove through the garage door
NOPE!!! it was me!!! doing something stupid lucky for me it was a 18$ fix but defiantly not the highlight of my day .... and no i did not take a pic because i was just to pissed at my self.....

any way now back to the basement ..... i got a set of new led's so was able to fix the miss colored lights that didn't match now all match and look great in the light trays.
next i moved on to the cabinets on the stage ... i made a door and used the same molding that i used on the columns to trim the out i wanted to make it so it would be easy to get to the subs once it came time to install them and or have to adjust them once they are in there .....

IMG_4858.jpg

IMG_4856.jpg

i was going to use magnet stops but opted for these because i thought they would hold the door better just in case with temp changes the door tries to twist

IMG_4857.jpg

IMG_4862.jpg
post #188 of 607 Old 11-13-2012, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
it wasn't to bad just backed the truck into garage and just carried them down the steps.... so basically huge pain the calves from going up down the steps 60 times...

That's what, aahhh..."guest workers" are for. I carried in 25 of my 50. Then had "guest workers" carry the other 25. Plus 200 panels of dricore and 8 sheets of 3/4" plywood. While snow was starting to fall. AND they had to push the HD rental truck out of the, what I found out the hard way, was soft ground where I backed the truck up.

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends
Need motivation? Get LOGANED
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1014847

An as-yet un-named theater designed by Big-WarrenP-BritInVA
post #189 of 607 Old 11-13-2012, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter
CEO FALCON SCREENS

i think i would liked that better then my stupid mistake of breaking a piece of trim off the garage door opening .... it was an easy fix but still a dumb mistake on my part
post #190 of 607 Old 11-15-2012, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter
CEO FALCON SCREENS

speaker recessed into the wall, built boxes out of 1/2 inch mdf and built shelve out 3/4 mdf to hold the econowave speakers

sorry for the iphone photo ... when i get the other two shelves cut and mounted will take better photo's

the wall will be treated with these

wedgefoam3.jpg

stage1.jpg
post #191 of 607 Old 11-17-2012, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter
CEO FALCON SCREENS

finished up the speaker recess and shelves ... next will be paint the wall black and then the wall treatments..
The shelves where made from 3/4 MDF and then just made some basic angle brackets to hold them up..

IMG_4872.jpg

IMG_4873.jpg

IMG_4868.jpg

IMG_4884.jpg
post #192 of 607 Old 11-17-2012, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter
CEO FALCON SCREENS

Trim frenzy....... finally finished all the MDF on the walls ...... i swear i felt like norm from cheers .... every time i walk into lowe's they all scream MDF RICH!!! thank god i bought my last sheet ..... i hope eek.gif

i was feeling froggy so i started the trim work and was surprised that i got as much done as i did.... First thing i tackled was the chair rail

IMG_4891.jpg

IMG_4866.jpg

next i moved onto the base boards

IMG_4885-1.jpg

IMG_4880.jpg

IMG_4869.jpg

and finally i had just enough energy to get started on the crown

fist i put some 1x2's so that when i build the fabric panels every will look nice and flush

IMG_4871.jpg

and then i was cutting and nailing, only had use very very little calk so was very happy with the fit this was the first time i ever did crown on my own..

IMG_4889.jpg

IMG_4867.jpg

IMG_4866.jpg

IMG_4865.jpg

IMG_4886.jpg
post #193 of 607 Old 11-17-2012, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
That screen looks high, how far off the ground is it? Maybe just pictures.

post #194 of 607 Old 11-17-2012, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Woodwork looks terrific. I gotta give you props for hanging crown molding by yourself. I suspect I will end up doing the same.

Also, nice job on the econowaves. I'm doing stens for lcr and sten ii for surrounds. But... SEOS is calling me.. I mean.. I can always use the sten's in the tv room, right? smile.gif

Tim
post #195 of 607 Old 11-17-2012, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter
CEO FALCON SCREENS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidK442 View Post

Impressive progress. I love the over all design you have chosen for the theater: curved stage with angled corner cabinets, columns and a tray ceiling. Form and function all in one. A recognizable layout and for good reason.
Excellent job with the miter work. Mine only looks good after a few tubes of latex calk and a coat of paint. smile.gif

thanks...yes i have borrowed a little from several different theaters here before i started mine big's work and Mario's where very inspiring ....
as far as the trim all the recommend is take your time ... for crown i think they make jigs that make it easier, i just took my time and went without any jig..
post #196 of 607 Old 11-17-2012, 08:09 PM - Thread Starter
CEO FALCON SCREENS

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbraden32 View Post

That screen looks high, how far off the ground is it? Maybe just pictures.

it is 30 inches from the ground ... i will lower the real one.... it will all depend what is comfortable to for the second row of seats and how low the lens shift of the projector will let me go but yes your right the pic makes it look high
... the wife and i tested with a normal chair and seemed of but it it is all subject to change once the projector goes up and we see a real image.
post #197 of 607 Old 11-17-2012, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter
CEO FALCON SCREENS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Tim View Post

Woodwork looks terrific. I gotta give you props for hanging crown molding by yourself. I suspect I will end up doing the same.
Also, nice job on the econowaves. I'm doing stens for lcr and sten ii for surrounds. But... SEOS is calling me.. I mean.. I can always use the sten's in the tv room, right? smile.gif
Tim

Thank you.... it really is not that bad i thought for sure with the columns it was going to be a pain but once i got started it was fine ...just take your time one tip i can give it is always cut a tad long it is so much it nibble away the blade width then realize you are short by an 8th of inch and then have to scrap your piece and start over.
Quickett likes this.
post #198 of 607 Old 11-18-2012, 05:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by snickers1 View Post

it is 30 inches from the ground ... i will lower the real one.... it will all depend what is comfortable to for the second row of seats and how low the lens shift of the projector will let me go but yes your right the pic makes it look high
... the wife and i tested with a normal chair and seemed of but it it is all subject to change once the projector goes up and we see a real image.

I agree the bottom of the screen is a little high. However, I believe this is traditionally solved by getting a larger screen biggrin.gif

IIRC, eyes at 1/3 up from the bottom of the screen is what's recommended. With two rows you have some wiggle room.

Tim
post #199 of 607 Old 11-18-2012, 05:39 AM - Thread Starter
CEO FALCON SCREENS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Tim View Post

I agree the bottom of the screen is a little high. However, I believe this is traditionally solved by getting a larger screen biggrin.gif
IIRC, eyes at 1/3 up from the bottom of the screen is what's recommended. With two rows you have some wiggle room.
Tim

ha! in the pic it is depicting a 115" screen i think i can go to a 120" smile.gif
but it will still need to be a little lower
post #200 of 607 Old 11-24-2012, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter
CEO FALCON SCREENS

worked on the theater some yesterday got most the crown molding done and then stayed up until after midnight building the 3 cross overs for the econowave speakers.
this was the first time i have ever built my own crossovers, i have built speaker boxes before but that was for car stereo's back in the day...
these where not that bad to make at all.

IMG_4901.jpg
post #201 of 607 Old 11-24-2012, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter
CEO FALCON SCREENS

Today i really did not work in the basement much at all spent some time with the family,
but i had a couple hours to kill while the wife went to the gym so i decided to start on the lights in theater area
I installed 6 of the 10 3" lights...
i went these they have been used a lot here

022011787909lg.jpg

i have read that these are paint to install but the be honest it really was not that bad the worse part for me was the horrible smell MDF makes when drilling it.

once i got the all holes drill my son came down and was like what is the smell ?? smells like pee down here!!

i was planning on installed lights centered above the columns then also in-between each column so that would be 6 lights on each side but after loooking at it and decided to go with 3 on each side and if needed i could ad more but i like 3 on each side is enough and the 4 in front of the screen .....

What do you guys think?????

IMG_4895.jpg

IMG_4900.jpg

IMG_4899.jpg

IMG_4898.jpg
post #202 of 607 Old 11-24-2012, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Snickers,

What are the dimensions of your columns? They look great.
post #203 of 607 Old 11-24-2012, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter
CEO FALCON SCREENS

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGiovas View Post

Snickers,
What are the dimensions of your columns? They look great.

thanks they are 15" wide and 5.5" deep
post #204 of 607 Old 11-24-2012, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Thanks. Are you making the surround speakers as well? I'm just curious what type of speaker will fit in the column.
post #205 of 607 Old 11-24-2012, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter
CEO FALCON SCREENS

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGiovas View Post

Thanks. Are you making the surround speakers as well? I'm just curious what type of speaker will fit in the column.

no i will be making a small box to fit in there and will be using inwall speakers ...probably will be going with emotive or axiom had not made up my mind yet
post #206 of 607 Old 11-29-2012, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter
CEO FALCON SCREENS

i love when UPS shows up
today i received what will on the wall behind the screen .... i could not just to just do linaccoustic i wanted to be able to turn lights on behind the screen and show off the speakers and for the people that are not into home theaters make there jaw drop when they notice you can see through screen .... it is a borrowed design but again when i bought the house and joined this forum there was certain builds that just influenced me and i still come back and read them on a regular basis's
i think without "bacon race" , "sandman", "cinemar" "bigs place" "saga old vic" ext.... there are many others i can't speak for everyone but i know i would be lost.

i have decided to try these for the base traps they where very cheap so if they don't work it will not be hard to change them out
**the flash from the camera made them look grey they pretty close to black in person

IMG_4903.jpg

IMG_4904.jpg

and for the wall

IMG_4906.jpg

i just put two up temp just to get a feel for how it will look .... i will paint the wall black and the recesses for the speakers also black before applying these to the wall, or i may apply a layer of linaccoutic then stick the wedges to that not sure if they adhere to the linaccoustic though ???

IMG_4908.jpg
post #207 of 607 Old 11-29-2012, 06:01 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by snickers1 View Post

i love when UPS shows up
today i received what will on the wall behind the screen .... i could not just to just do linaccoustic i wanted to be able to turn lights on behind the screen and show off the speakers and for the people that are not into home theaters make there jaw drop when they notice you can see through screen .... it is a borrowed design but again when i bought the house and joined this forum there was certain builds that just influenced me and i still come back and read them on a regular basis's
i think without "bacon race" , "sandman", "cinemar" "bigs place" "saga old vic" ext.... there are many others i can't speak for everyone but i know i would be lost.
i have decided to try these for the base traps they where very cheap so if they don't work it will not be hard to change them out

How close will your screen be to your speakers? Mine are only 1-2" from the screen and when I turn the lights on behind the screen it just casts a lot of shadows. If you could put lights right under the speakers you might have better luck, because I am just using some track lighting from above. Just thought I would mention it now while you can make changes.

DrifterStreetStudios

(A GPowers Inspired Fabric Framed Theater)

post #208 of 607 Old 11-29-2012, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter
CEO FALCON SCREENS

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZGAMD View Post

How close will your screen be to your speakers? Mine are only 1-2" from the screen and when I turn the lights on behind the screen it just casts a lot of shadows. If you could put lights right under the speakers you might have better luck, because I am just using some track lighting from above. Just thought I would mention it now while you can make changes.

they are set to be 9" from the screen but i still have some wiggle room if need be.
post #209 of 607 Old 11-30-2012, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter
CEO FALCON SCREENS

got almost all the trim work done ... just have to finish the shadow boxes on the other side of the theater

IMG_4911.jpg

IMG_4912.jpg

IMG_4913.jpg
post #210 of 607 Old 11-30-2012, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Oooh la la. Brings back fond memories.

Very sharp looking. I enjoyed this part of the project since the work produces more noticable results.

Keep it up. The room is taking shape!
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector
Gear in this thread - Ptae8000u by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page