Designing room, need help. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 04-23-2012, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Capt Roadsoda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am currently building my man cave. I have lost my theater room to my kids, but I have a multi-purpose room (23X30). It will have a bar and the largest flat screen I can purchase. I will use it for watching sports, gaming, and a little entertaining. I want it to sound great, but I'm not looking to go broke doing it.

I'm looking for a decent receiver to power in-wall and in-ceiling speakers, including a sub. I have 3000 to 4000 to spend, maybe a little more. What should I do? Denon,
kef, boston acoustic? I am clueless!!!!! Please help.

Oh ya, what type of wire should I run? monster cable?

Thanks
Capt Roadsoda is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 Old 04-23-2012, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member
 
airscapes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 4,643
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Roadsoda View Post

I am currently building my man cave. I have lost my theater room to my kids, but I have a multi-purpose room (23X30). It will have a bar and the largest flat screen I can purchase. I will use it for watching sports, gaming, and a little entertaining. I want it to sound great, but I'm not looking to go broke doing it.

I'm looking for a decent receiver to power in-wall and in-ceiling speakers, including a sub. I have 3000 to 4000 to spend, maybe a little more. What should I do? Denon,
kef, boston acoustic? I am clueless!!!!! Please help.

Oh ya, what type of wire should I run? monster cable?

Thanks

You need to stop, put your money away where you can not get to it for at least 6 months, and start reading and studying this and other forums on the AVS site..
airscapes is online now  
post #3 of 11 Old 04-23-2012, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Mr.Tim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: SC
Posts: 2,124
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 58
As you can infer from the first reply, using the word 'Monster' on this forum is a faux pas.

Can you share some more detail as to your thoughts? Do you have to have in-wall/in-ceiling? I think you will sacrifice some sound quality going that route, but if it's just background noise then that could be a good solution.

Denon makes some decent receivers, but you will probably get more responses in the Amps, Receivers and Processors forum.

Lastly, use the cheapest in-wall rated wire (CL2 or CL3) you can find, gauge to suit. 14ga is more than enough for in-walls. 12ga for the sub(s). Try Monoprice.

You may also want to post progress in the General Home Theater / Media Rooms forum.

Tim
Mr.Tim is offline  
post #4 of 11 Old 04-23-2012, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Spaceman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: North Houston
Posts: 1,966
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 102
In a 23x30 room, why are considering a big screen tv over a projector and screen?
Spaceman is offline  
post #5 of 11 Old 04-23-2012, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Capt Roadsoda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
That is what I am doing! I don't have six months.
Capt Roadsoda is offline  
post #6 of 11 Old 04-23-2012, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Capt Roadsoda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I don't have six months, and I am trying to do research. Thanks
Capt Roadsoda is offline  
post #7 of 11 Old 04-23-2012, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Capt Roadsoda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks. I will post my plans on the site later. I want good quality sound, so if I need to see the front speakers so be it. The rear speakers have to be in the ceiling.
Capt Roadsoda is offline  
post #8 of 11 Old 04-23-2012, 10:15 PM
AVS Special Member
 
audiovideoholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Murray KY
Posts: 2,552
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Roadsoda View Post

Thanks. I will post my plans on the site later. I want good quality sound, so if I need to see the front speakers so be it. The rear speakers have to be in the ceiling.

If you are saying have to be in ceiling because you dont want wires ran in sight then there are still many ways to avoid inceiling speakers. Example...Run your speaker wire in the ceiling then use an old box electrical box to terminate the wire then simply mount your regular speaker from a ceiling joist or stud in the wall. There are many mounts that will alow you to hang your speakers just about anywhere you want. And by using a gang box the speaker wire would only be visable from the connectors on the speakers to the gang box with speaker terminal plate painted to match your ceiling. Very easy install and will sound much better. But if there are other reasons for in ceiling speakers then you should start searching for some used best brands because they are expensive for good ones.

Welcome and try to explain more about your goals.
audiovideoholic is online now  
post #9 of 11 Old 04-24-2012, 04:44 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR
 
BIGmouthinDC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 21,087
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked: 682
At your budget level
Wire/cables - Monoprice
Receiver - Yamaha
In wall Speakers - Hsu
TV - Vizio
BIGmouthinDC is online now  
post #10 of 11 Old 04-24-2012, 07:07 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Capt Roadsoda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

At your budget level
Wire/cables - Monoprice
Receiver - Yamaha
In wall Speakers - Hsu
TV - Vizio

The TV is not included. The budget is audio only!
Capt Roadsoda is offline  
post #11 of 11 Old 04-24-2012, 07:12 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Capt Roadsoda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiovideoholic View Post

If you are saying have to be in ceiling because you dont want wires ran in sight then there are still many ways to avoid inceiling speakers. Example...Run your speaker wire in the ceiling then use an old box electrical box to terminate the wire then simply mount your regular speaker from a ceiling joist or stud in the wall. There are many mounts that will alow you to hang your speakers just about anywhere you want. And by using a gang box the speaker wire would only be visable from the connectors on the speakers to the gang box with speaker terminal plate painted to match your ceiling. Very easy install and will sound much better. But if there are other reasons for in ceiling speakers then you should start searching for some used best brands because they are expensive for good ones.

Welcome and try to explain more about your goals.

My goals for the audio portion of this room is to have quality sound. I only wanted in-wall stuff for the look. But it sounds as if I can't get the greatest sound with that set-up. I guess I don't really care if I can see the speakers on the the wall or ceiling.
Capt Roadsoda is offline  
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off