Designing room, need help. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 04-23-2012, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am currently building my man cave. I have lost my theater room to my kids, but I have a multi-purpose room (23X30). It will have a bar and the largest flat screen I can purchase. I will use it for watching sports, gaming, and a little entertaining. I want it to sound great, but I'm not looking to go broke doing it.

I'm looking for a decent receiver to power in-wall and in-ceiling speakers, including a sub. I have 3000 to 4000 to spend, maybe a little more. What should I do? Denon,
kef, boston acoustic? I am clueless!!!!! Please help.

Oh ya, what type of wire should I run? monster cable?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-23-2012, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Roadsoda View Post

I am currently building my man cave. I have lost my theater room to my kids, but I have a multi-purpose room (23X30). It will have a bar and the largest flat screen I can purchase. I will use it for watching sports, gaming, and a little entertaining. I want it to sound great, but I'm not looking to go broke doing it.

I'm looking for a decent receiver to power in-wall and in-ceiling speakers, including a sub. I have 3000 to 4000 to spend, maybe a little more. What should I do? Denon,
kef, boston acoustic? I am clueless!!!!! Please help.

Oh ya, what type of wire should I run? monster cable?

Thanks

You need to stop, put your money away where you can not get to it for at least 6 months, and start reading and studying this and other forums on the AVS site..
post #3 of 11 Old 04-23-2012, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 58
As you can infer from the first reply, using the word 'Monster' on this forum is a faux pas.

Can you share some more detail as to your thoughts? Do you have to have in-wall/in-ceiling? I think you will sacrifice some sound quality going that route, but if it's just background noise then that could be a good solution.

Denon makes some decent receivers, but you will probably get more responses in the Amps, Receivers and Processors forum.

Lastly, use the cheapest in-wall rated wire (CL2 or CL3) you can find, gauge to suit. 14ga is more than enough for in-walls. 12ga for the sub(s). Try Monoprice.

You may also want to post progress in the General Home Theater / Media Rooms forum.

Tim
post #4 of 11 Old 04-23-2012, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 102
In a 23x30 room, why are considering a big screen tv over a projector and screen?
post #5 of 11 Old 04-23-2012, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter

That is what I am doing! I don't have six months.
post #6 of 11 Old 04-23-2012, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter

I don't have six months, and I am trying to do research. Thanks
post #7 of 11 Old 04-23-2012, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. I will post my plans on the site later. I want good quality sound, so if I need to see the front speakers so be it. The rear speakers have to be in the ceiling.
post #8 of 11 Old 04-23-2012, 10:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Roadsoda View Post

Thanks. I will post my plans on the site later. I want good quality sound, so if I need to see the front speakers so be it. The rear speakers have to be in the ceiling.

If you are saying have to be in ceiling because you dont want wires ran in sight then there are still many ways to avoid inceiling speakers. Example...Run your speaker wire in the ceiling then use an old box electrical box to terminate the wire then simply mount your regular speaker from a ceiling joist or stud in the wall. There are many mounts that will alow you to hang your speakers just about anywhere you want. And by using a gang box the speaker wire would only be visable from the connectors on the speakers to the gang box with speaker terminal plate painted to match your ceiling. Very easy install and will sound much better. But if there are other reasons for in ceiling speakers then you should start searching for some used best brands because they are expensive for good ones.

Welcome and try to explain more about your goals.
post #9 of 11 Old 04-24-2012, 04:44 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked: 682
At your budget level
Wire/cables - Monoprice
Receiver - Yamaha
In wall Speakers - Hsu
TV - Vizio
post #10 of 11 Old 04-24-2012, 07:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

At your budget level
Wire/cables - Monoprice
Receiver - Yamaha
In wall Speakers - Hsu
TV - Vizio

The TV is not included. The budget is audio only!
post #11 of 11 Old 04-24-2012, 07:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiovideoholic View Post

If you are saying have to be in ceiling because you dont want wires ran in sight then there are still many ways to avoid inceiling speakers. Example...Run your speaker wire in the ceiling then use an old box electrical box to terminate the wire then simply mount your regular speaker from a ceiling joist or stud in the wall. There are many mounts that will alow you to hang your speakers just about anywhere you want. And by using a gang box the speaker wire would only be visable from the connectors on the speakers to the gang box with speaker terminal plate painted to match your ceiling. Very easy install and will sound much better. But if there are other reasons for in ceiling speakers then you should start searching for some used best brands because they are expensive for good ones.

Welcome and try to explain more about your goals.

My goals for the audio portion of this room is to have quality sound. I only wanted in-wall stuff for the look. But it sounds as if I can't get the greatest sound with that set-up. I guess I don't really care if I can see the speakers on the the wall or ceiling.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page