So those materials sat there for a good long time, and finally I got some free weekends to build the thing.
Then the great day came that I could put it downstairs. So to make moving it easier, and to be able to fill it with Roxul without getting it all over the carpet underneath, I laid down some plastic sheeting. I used the felt you see on top of the roxul in the above pictures around the sides to keep the roxul in as well. I also used the felt on top of the sides and joists to keep squeaks to a minimum, and put a LOT of screws into the MDF. I got a squeak free (so far) riser!
Here's pictures of me assembling the riser in the theater room. First I laid out the plastic sheeting:
Then I brought down the Roxul and the assembled sides / cut top pieces. The sides I already had covered with the felt.
Here's the sides and step re-assembled. To keep condensation from forming beneath the plastic (there's concrete underneath), I cut out sections of it and taped felt on the holes. That's why there's sections of felt taped to the plastic.
I also ran electricity through the riser to hookup to the wall (I had a junction box on the baseboard put in just for this). Two outlets in the front of the riser and two in the back:
Here, I've put in a layer of the Roxul and put the joists in:
Okay, ready to attach the MDF top pieces!
I'll continue in the next post...