Need some ideas/help with brick mounting and wires for new tv. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 04-27-2012, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i have a picture attatched of my house..i really want something that looks good for the 55inch tv i bought but i also dont want to cut down walls and go in fireplaces to pull wires..anbody have any ideas? the nearest outlet is on the wall to the left and its about a foot or less away from cabinets...any ideas would be greatly appreciated
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-27-2012, 08:12 PM

Liked: 32
What is above that room? Any competent electrician that knows their business will be able to pull a outlet. Only other thing I can suggest as you the homeowner, would be using wiremold like you see in schools that have brick walls, but it will be what they call "Putty" colored, and stick out.
post #3 of 10 Old 04-27-2012, 08:57 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 580
The minimum visible wiring would be to hook the tv up an extension cord and hide a wireless HDMI adapter behind the TV. Now if you want to totally hide the wiring you have to do some surgery, sorry no free lunch. Looking at the picture, get a white extension cord and run along the back edge of the mantel over to the side. You really need to get an outlet in the base of the cabinets and cut some holes to run wires for the other gear.
post #4 of 10 Old 04-27-2012, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

The minimum visible wiring would be to hook the tv up an extension cord and hide a wireless HDMI adapter behind the TV. Now if you want to totally hide the wiring you have to do some surgery, sorry no free lunch. Looking at the picture, get a white extension cord and run along the back edge of the mantel over to the side. You really need to get an outlet in the base of the cabinets and cut some holes to run wires for the other gear.

Sorry, but an extension cord is only rated for "Temporary" use. The way you are stating, that means that it becomes permanent use at that point for the OP.
post #5 of 10 Old 04-27-2012, 10:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post

Sorry, but an extension cord is only rated for "Temporary" use. The way you are stating, that means that it becomes permanent use at that point for the OP.

Are you serious? Its not a spare tire here. A good extension cord is no different than power strips.

LMAO
post #6 of 10 Old 04-28-2012, 04:00 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post

If it is going to keep you up at night, exchange the power cord that came with the TV for a longer white one.
post #7 of 10 Old 04-28-2012, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Is that a real fireplace or a gas burning insert? If it's a gas burner, chances are that the brick is only one layer deep. You may be able to remove a single prick and install a box where you want your TV to be.

If it's real, you may be able to remove the mantle and install a chase to route wires through it. That would make wires visible for only a small part on each end. A little paint matching and you would barely notice that they are there. OK, since you are in this forum with the rest of us who have an unhealthy dose of OCD, YOU will notice, but your family and friends won't see a thing!

Good luck!

Follow my build here: Harvest Ridge Theater
post #8 of 10 Old 04-28-2012, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiovideoholic View Post

Are you serious? Its not a spare tire here. A good extension cord is no different than power strips.

LMAO

Yes I am serious, and there is no such thing as a "good" extension cord. Read the info on them sometime, that is printed on the packaging, along with the NEC regarding the use of them. They have and always are for "Temporary" use only.
post #9 of 10 Old 04-28-2012, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
thanks for the replies guys..i was thinking i needed some kind of extension/surge protector..and if i do get one it will be a rather nice one not a cheapo..ill have the tv/cablebox/ps3 hooked up. also its 1 story and its a real log brick fireplace that will never be used
post #10 of 10 Old 04-28-2012, 03:06 PM

If it is a true log burning fireplace, and depending on the age of the structure, you may not be able to pull any wiring behind the brick. You should consult with a chimney sweep who can tell you if you are able to have an electrician pull any conduit behind the brick face.

Otherwise, you will have to remove the mantle to have it routered for conduit to be placed behind it, so that you can place a outlet into the face of the mantle for plugging in the tv, and also for coax or hdmi.

This is something that you will have to do some planning, before just jumping in and doing, since you need to figure out how to get power up there, and also how to get video input from any gear that you may be placing either to the left or right on the shelves.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page