Dedicated Home Theatre room - Lens Shift would be nice or necessity? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 05-05-2012, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have a dedicated home theatre room and this is my first time mounting/buying/owning a projector. The idea of Lens shift sounds like it'll be helpful for me but some of the projector's I'm looking at doesn't have it. I plan on ceiling mounting the projector and leaving it there. Maybe once or twice a year I'll take it down and display it informally on the garage wall for a PPV.

I'm looking @ Optoma HD33, Epson 3010, but might scrap 3D and go w/ Epson 8350 due to lens shift (and save $400ish).

Please give me ideas/thoughts/suggestions that'll help me decide.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-05-2012, 02:03 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It makes things a lot easier to have lens shift. Otherwise you have to use keystone correction and that will adversely affect the image quality. Unless you can mount it just right. For instance, when ceiling mounting the 3010 the center of the lens must be directly inline with the top of the screen to not use keystone correction.
post #3 of 4 Old 05-08-2012, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
So my entire home theatre room is naked. Today, I'm in a 3D mood and am thinking of the Optoma HD33.

Couple Q's:
  • Is it possible to have a perfect 16:9 rectangle display w/o digital keystone?
  • In order to limit the digital keystone-ness, does it make more sense to hang the projector and fit the screen on the wall, or first the screen, then adjust the projector?
  • As a first time projector owner, is digital keystone that noticeable?
  • According to the below calculator, my screen size I'm aiming for (106) is borderline green/yellow, should I worry about this or just reommendations? As I said, I have a dedicated HT room, so I can get it pitch black
post #4 of 4 Old 05-08-2012, 07:03 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked: 686
A 116 inch diagonal screen is 57 inches tall, The Optoma HD33 needs to be mounted with the center of the lens 16% of the screen height above the top edge of the image in order to avoid using any keystone correction.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page