Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifiaudio2 View Post

These cans:

Very happy with all of them.

The cans do not rattle at all, which is nice, as that would be a big annoyance to diagnose and fix.

Thanks for the links! Do you control the color of the rope lights or does that automatically change?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 108 Old 01-31-2013, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 60
They can change automatically at a set interval, I can pick a specific constant color from the remote, make my own "custom" color, or they can change to the beat of the music. Its a rave in a box. smile.gif

Pretty fun little kit. I bought more than just what is on the link below but that is the main unit. I have the circuit that these are plugged into wired to a Lutron RadioRa2 switch so I can turn it on and off with the main Lutron keypad by my door or my Roomie remote on the Ipad. For now I just use the remote that came with it to control the light. Someday I might get the Roomie IR control add on so I can put these into Roomie as well, but I kind of doubt I will take it that far.

http://www.ledwholesalers.com/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=834
post #93 of 108 Old 02-20-2013, 03:15 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

One thing I can say I am really liking are the "in soffit" Triad LCR surrounds that Dennis suggested. So far with surround music they totally disappear but have GREAT ambiance. If I am facing the screen I hear things all around, but if I turn my head to look at where I know the speaker is, I no longer hear anything coming from it. Not localized or pointed out at all, yet not a diffuse dipole. Very cool.

Point of clarification?

As far as I'm aware, Triad doesn't make a "LCR surround"

Are you talking about the Triad InWall Bronze LCR?
http://triadspeakers.com/products/iwb4lcr.html

Or the Triad InWall Bronze Surrounds?
http://triadspeakers.com/products/iwb4sur.html

And were these 4 place in ceiling or in walls?

Thanks, much appreciated. Envious of the HT.
post #94 of 108 Old 02-20-2013, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Here is the speaker:

http://triadspeakers.com/products/icb8lcr.html

They are in my soffits with the speaker face pointing toward the floor. The drivers are angled, though, so they shoot toward the listening position.
post #95 of 108 Old 02-21-2013, 12:02 PM

Thanks very much.

Curious why you chose direct over dipole for surrounds? I am struggling with this myself. (leaning toward direct).

Triad was a pioneer at angled baffle, and I'm sure the inCeling LCR sounds like not from whence it came.
post #96 of 108 Old 02-21-2013, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The short answer is because Dennis specified them. I assume it has to do with the fact that I have a bit of space on each side and putting them in the soffit also gets them further away from all listeners, even those close to that side. I am sure Dennis can expound on this if he notices the question and has time.
post #97 of 108 Old 06-15-2013, 06:21 PM

post #98 of 108 Old 08-02-2013, 06:57 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
have you put handles on the door yet? im curious how you did it. Im debating making my own thick door as well
post #99 of 108 Old 08-03-2013, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yeah I just ended up going with a pretty normal black knob. Just got a 5 inch extension for the inner cylinder piece so it would fit the thick door.
post #100 of 108 Old 08-03-2013, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Was the extension piece something that you bought as an accessory from the manufacturer or did you make your own? I saw in your thread that you purchased a set from Emtek. I have seen sets for up to a 3'' door but not a 5'' door like yours. Those sets are at least $100 and I have 2 doors so that might get pricey.

I had considered buying a normal 1 3/4 set and splicing in an extension myself. I am not sure what kind of metal rod I would need to do that yet. But, it should be able to be welded in as far as I know. I have seen a thread here in which it was done.

Really interested in what others have done so I can come to an affordable solution.
post #101 of 108 Old 08-04-2013, 08:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 676
WOW looks great ! I would love to see more pics biggrin.gif

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #102 of 108 Old 08-04-2013, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimastergrant View Post

Was the extension piece something that you bought as an accessory from the manufacturer or did you make your own? I saw in your thread that you purchased a set from Emtek. I have seen sets for up to a 3'' door but not a 5'' door like yours. Those sets are at least $100 and I have 2 doors so that might get pricey.

I had considered buying a normal 1 3/4 set and splicing in an extension myself. I am not sure what kind of metal rod I would need to do that yet. But, it should be able to be welded in as far as I know. I have seen a thread here in which it was done.

Really interested in what others have done so I can come to an affordable solution.

My door is slightly over 3" thick total, the extension piece I got was around 5", I believe, to go into the handles on each end. It ended up that my neighbor owns the hardware store down the street from me that I ordered the knob for. He also ordered the long piece for me, separately, from Emtek. I dont even recall what that part is called.

Here is the knob I got... pretty boring and standard, but well made and nice... I got the flat black finish.

http://emtek.com/Passage-Privacy-Knobs/providence-knob
post #103 of 108 Old 08-04-2013, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I will try to get a few more pics up sometime soon. I STILL have not purchased the 7 Fusion chairs, so I only have three. I was waiting until I get them all to post "final" pics.
post #104 of 108 Old 02-19-2014, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 284
W
Quote:

I got most of the drywall off and hauled away, and construction on turning the stairwell that comes down into the back of the room has started. We are turning it 180 degrees and building a wall along the back. We ran into a headroom issue with that new stairwell, so unfortunately that means I will have to move the back wall of the theater in a few inches to give enough room for an adequately sized landing on that stairwell. But the room should still be around 27' long (a little less after clips and DD). Dennis says the length reduction should not affect my acoustic plan nor will the slight size reduction of the riser affect the bass trap riser.

I will also be adding a new LVL to the ceiling so I can decouple it from the floor joists above. Currently the ceiling is 2x6 and has multiple 2x4's coupled to the above floor joists for support.

Even then though, we MAY have to install 2x8s for the ceiling due to the span. Its about 15.5 feet and the feeling is that that may be too long for 2x6 joists.

Hopefully all these items will be finished at the end of this week.

Was turning the stairs an expensive project? Would you mind PMing me with the costs? I wouldn't mind turning my stairs to generate a bit more room at the rear.
post #105 of 108 Old 02-19-2014, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well I can't really say because it was just one of the many things done by the handyman /men that did some of the work for me. Main issue was dealing with the ceiling height once the stairs turned back on themselves and making sure one wouldn't hit their head.

The finished stairs turned out nicely, though.

post #106 of 108 Old 04-11-2014, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

We are putting the theater on the market and the house comes with it. smile.gif Come buy my place!
post #107 of 108 Old 04-11-2014, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Wish I was in the market....great theater and the house would be a nice bonus.
post #108 of 108 Old 04-11-2014, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The house I have my eye on has a 33 x 25 room earmarked for theater 2.0. I hope it doesn't get away before we can get this one sold.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page