Here are my dimensions- how would you layout the perfect theatre? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 05-09-2012, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Room dimensions...18 feet wide, 26 feet deep, and 11 foot high ceiling.

I want the entry to the side, between the last row and the second row, assuming I will have 3 rows. This will allow us to put a sectional couch that runs the width of the room, in a more confined area- make sense? So you'd enter from side and the couch would be to your left, and the remaining rows to your right. The aisle would run in the middle, between two 6 foot risers. You with me?

Really wrestled with this, but we decided that we didn't want two aisles just for the sake of symmetry. We've also considered putting the risers with the seats (row 1 & 2) on an angle, or arc. Thoughts?

Any input you guys can provide would be greatly appreciated, and I will include photos of the project. When we did an addition, I had this room designed specifically for a theatre, that is why there are no support posts, and why the ceiling is so high. The walls are poured concrete, if that matters.

What size screen would you consider?

Thanks, and I look forward to sharing the progress with all of you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 05-09-2012, 06:30 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 38
This is a good-sized room -- if I understand, your screen wall will be 18 ft. wide. You should be able to use a 12 ft. wide 2.35:1 cinemascope format screen to great effect in there.
I don't understand how your sectional couch "runs the length of the room". We need a floor plan sketch.
You should probably consider the AVS Theatre Room Layout Service, at a minimum, and possibly upgrade to more detailed design package, depending on the complexity you envision, etc.
post #3 of 12 Old 05-09-2012, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter

I meant the width of the room...I will post the sketch that the designer came up with when he gets me the latest revision. The screen wall won't actually be 18 feet- I have a sump pump in one corner and stairs cutting out the other corner. Realistically, probably a 14 foot screen wall.
post #4 of 12 Old 05-11-2012, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBon View Post

This is a good-sized room -- if I understand, your screen wall will be 18 ft. wide. You should be able to use a 12 ft. wide 2.35:1 cinemascope format screen to great effect in there.
I don't understand how your sectional couch "runs the length of the room". We need a floor plan sketch.
You should probably consider the AVS Theatre Room Layout Service, at a minimum, and possibly upgrade to more detailed design package, depending on the complexity you envision, etc.

If i go with 12 foot screen, what is the closest I should consider for the first row? Thanks much.
post #5 of 12 Old 05-11-2012, 08:12 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked: 762
Just a quick response, while 26 ft may seem like a lot of depth it may not be enough to build a perfect three row theater depending on your design requirements. You need to tell us more of your wish list.
post #6 of 12 Old 05-11-2012, 09:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

Just a quick response, while 26 ft may seem like a lot of depth it may not be enough to build a perfect three row theater depending on your design requirements. You need to tell us more of your wish list.

Working on getting something from the designer to show you. 3 rows, each on a 6 foot riser.
post #7 of 12 Old 05-11-2012, 10:03 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked: 762
if the seats recline 6 is too short. 6 1/2 minimum.
post #8 of 12 Old 05-12-2012, 08:25 AM

Liked: 27
Mine has similar dimensions interiorly.

In my estimation, the only way three full rows would work well is if they didn't recline. And the back row would be against the back wall.

But then again, I don't know much. I highly recommend hiring the Pro Layout service. At least get a rough plan from them. It is too risky to guess at these things.
post #9 of 12 Old 05-12-2012, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter

Beautiful theatre. What are your dimensions? Is there a link to where I can see additional photos? Thanks.
post #10 of 12 Old 05-12-2012, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutus 614 View Post

Room dimensions...18 feet wide, 26 feet deep, and 11 foot high ceiling.

Great size to work with!

Quote:

I want the entry to the side, between the last row and the second row, assuming I will have 3 rows. This will allow us to put a sectional couch that runs the width of the room, in a more confined area- make sense? So you'd enter from side and the couch would be to your left, and the remaining rows to your right. The aisle would run in the middle, between two 6 foot risers. You with me?

Kinda. So the sectional is the front row, correct? I thought about doing that, too, but ended up making my middle row the "prime" viewing location. I did a loveseat arrangement with the center two recliner so I could kick my feet up, but it didn't really work out that way - the recliners aren't comfortable in that position.

Quote:

Really wrestled with this, but we decided that we didn't want two aisles just for the sake of symmetry. We've also considered putting the risers with the seats (row 1 & 2) on an angle, or arc. Thoughts?

The outer aisles aren't for aesthetic symmetry. Putting one in the middle consumes your best viewing locations, break up the seating, and pushes the seats toward the sides of the room. You want space between the side walls and the speakers that are attached to them.

Quote:

Any input you guys can provide would be greatly appreciated, and I will include photos of the project. When we did an addition, I had this room designed specifically for a theatre, that is why there are no support posts, and why the ceiling is so high. The walls are poured concrete, if that matters.

Make sure you take HVAC into consideration as you plan. How many people are you planning for seating? Your room size is a bit larger than mine, but as others have said, probably not enough for 3 rows of recliners. Think about a bar table for the back row - and ask yourself how often you'll have the theater "full". The price of the seating may make you think about that when you start multiplying it by 12-15 or so...

Quote:

What size screen would you consider?

Figure out your seating arrangement and layout first, the screen size will become apparent from that and perhaps a bit of testing to get your preference.

And yes, post a diagram of the room ASAP. And hire Dennis.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #11 of 12 Old 05-13-2012, 09:17 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:

Beautiful theatre. What are your dimensions? Is there a link to where I can see additional photos?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1339780

Dennis Erskine CFI, CFII, MEI
Architectural Acoustics
Subject Matter Expert
Certified Home Theater Designer
CEDIA Board of Directors
www.erskine-group.com
www.CinemaForte.net
post #12 of 12 Old 05-14-2012, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

And yes, post a diagram of the room ASAP. And hire Dennis.

Yup. What he said.

The Esquire Theater Construction Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1289590
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page