The SuperNoVA Theater - Planning & Build - Page 11 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 15Likes

Old 08-12-2016, 10:14 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 175 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3014 Post(s)
Liked: 2534
When he gets back to the office he will notify the county tax assessors of the increased finished space in your house so you can start paying for your theater a second time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2016, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked: 229

Is that a CURVE SCREEN with the HT3050?
Old 08-12-2016, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
When he gets back to the office he will notify the county tax assessors of the increased finished space in your house so you can start paying for your theater a second time.
Yeah hopefully not much...it's only about 300 sq ft. But they didn't measure so how do they know how much finished space to add? Also when does that happen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Movie78 View Post
Is that a CURVE SCREEN with the HT3050?
No, I took that picture in the movie theater to compare the viewing angle. That was a curved screen, but I doubt it was a HT3050.
Old 08-12-2016, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter

It looks like the county database already shows my entire basement as being finished. I don't remember if it was like that before or not!
Old 08-12-2016, 01:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Yeah hopefully not much...it's only about 300 sq ft. But they didn't measure so how do they know how much finished space to add? Also when does that happen?
They should have SOME idea from your initial permits. It should take effect for the next tax year....that's when they do the new assessments.

I still haven't gotten my final. I added a full bath so I KNOW I'll take a pretty good hit. The last time we re-financed, the appraiser wanted to actually look INSIDE the house and the theater and bathroom was MOSTLY done. He gave us a 40K bump over the previous county assessment (and the county assess at full value), so I have a pretty good idea of what the actual county assessment might be.

I'l get around to it one of these days, but, you know....64 on the Procrastination Test.

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends
Need motivation? Get LOGANED
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1014847

The Yellow Dog Cinema and Draft House
Old 08-12-2016, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter

A friend of mine was saying some people don't ever apply for their final until they are about to sell the house. I didn't want to deal with that, I like finishing things.
Old 10-21-2016, 11:10 PM - Thread Starter

Sooo....really been enjoying the room. Shout out to SVS for awesome customer service. I bought a used SVS sub and the driver was making noise, they replaced it under warranty even though I didn't have a receipt or anything. I guess they know when it was sold based on the serial #.

The sound isolation is pretty good, but sometimes when you are standing in the room above the theater, really intense actions can rumble the floor. I don't know if the neighbors hear anything or not though. Not much I can do about that I guess. I do think I need some bass traps. I can walk across the room when there is a constant tone and I can literally feel the bass changing.

But one thing I am wondering is I don't know if I am being overly critical or overanalyzing but I really don't feel like I am getting a lot of definition with the surround sound. Like, I don't think it's working many times but when I turn my head I do hear it coming from the speakers. I'm wondering if maybe it's reflecting off the front wall and getting mixed in with the front channels? I think some acoustical treatments could help but honestly I don't know as this is the first surround sound system I have ever owned. I know in a couple movies I have felt like it is working right. Anyone want to come over and take a listen?
Old 11-07-2016, 09:57 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozziegt View Post
Sooo....really been enjoying the room. Shout out to SVS for awesome customer service. I bought a used SVS sub and the driver was making noise, they replaced it under warranty even though I didn't have a receipt or anything. I guess they know when it was sold based on the serial #.

The sound isolation is pretty good, but sometimes when you are standing in the room above the theater, really intense actions can rumble the floor. I don't know if the neighbors hear anything or not though. Not much I can do about that I guess. I do think I need some bass traps. I can walk across the room when there is a constant tone and I can literally feel the bass changing.

But one thing I am wondering is I don't know if I am being overly critical or overanalyzing but I really don't feel like I am getting a lot of definition with the surround sound. Like, I don't think it's working many times but when I turn my head I do hear it coming from the speakers. I'm wondering if maybe it's reflecting off the front wall and getting mixed in with the front channels? I think some acoustical treatments could help but honestly I don't know as this is the first surround sound system I have ever owned. I know in a couple movies I have felt like it is working right. Anyone want to come over and take a listen?
What AVR are you using? Did you EQ your system? Have you double checked your speaker trims to make sure all speakers are playing at the same level?
Old 11-07-2016, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter

Denon X2200W. I did use the Audyssey setup, but I think I am going to do it again following Big's suggestions. For now I have the distances manually set up and I did set the levels manually to make sure all the speakers sounded the same volume.
Old 11-10-2016, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozziegt View Post
Denon X2200W. I did use the Audyssey setup, but I think I am going to do it again following Big's suggestions. For now I have the distances manually set up and I did set the levels manually to make sure all the speakers sounded the same volume.
I hear you, well it sounds like it's setup properly. I feel like re running Audyssey is never a bad idea. Also as a test you can just turn Audyssey off to see if it's causing issues. I also noticed your speakers have as bipole/dipole switch. Have you tried both modes to see which one works best? If your using the dipole mode you could be sitting in the null in between the drivers. Just some ideas...

Also as I'm sure you know some movies or movie content is just not that immersive and does not take full advantage of the surrounds. To kind of see where you stand maybe download some of the Dolby or DTS trailers to get a real feel for how your speakers are performing.
Old 11-10-2016, 07:43 AM

One other thing. I think your surrounds are fine speakers but down line if you want to upgrade (like Big mentioned earlier in the thread) you might want to take a look at the DIY scene and for surrounds the DIYSG Volt's. About a year ago I moved away from some horrible Polk TL3's to the Volt 6's and difference was a game changer for me.

I found a thread where a gentleman moved from Polk F/Xi A6's to Volt 6 and he had a similar impression. Here is a link to the thread:
Volt 6 and Fusion 8 Alchemy build pictures
Old 11-18-2016, 08:55 AM - Thread Starter

TBH I'm skeptical about that guy's review considering he didn't even have a center channel before, who knows how he had things set up. But thanks for the link! DIY speakers is something I am definitely interested in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement