Vent/Soffits obstructing projector? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 05-12-2012, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Looking at several different houses for a potential purchase. Many get shot down because they don't offer a viable room-solution to install a semi-dedicated theater.. One such place is quite nice and the basement has huge potential... But my fear is that the soffits built around the vents will be a problem.

Take a look at these pictures and see if you can tell what I'm talking about here.. I believe the ceilings are 8ft... but there are blocks (beams?) that create lower parts on this ceiling.

The screen would be on the far wall back by the bar and two stools... I thought about how I could build a fake wall so that the screen is recessed.. as well, but again, just not sure about those beams. I could build a shelf along the back wall of the room (above the triple window) to house the projector..

Should I skip this house and keep looking? Everything else about it pretty great, but my lady is pretty understanding of the criteria... no theater room potential-- no house purchase.

Big thanks guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 05-12-2012, 10:27 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked: 729
If you can hang the screen on the wall with the image portion lower than the lowest obstacle and the projector from the ceiling on a down pole with the lens below the lowest obstacle, you can make it work. I would keep looking for rooms better suited for a theater, This one has big windows and a fireplace not an ideal candidate.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page