Ceiling lighting question and a structural beam - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-21-2012, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I will need to remove a load bearing wall and use a structural beam to provide support. My plan calls for a coffered ceiling using faux beams. It just so happens that the location of the structural beam is the same location as one of the faux beam for the coffered ceiling.

The ceiling lights are supposed to be located inside the faux beams. There will also be rope lights in the ceiling plan as well.

I can physically put the beam at the same level as the joists so that the structural beam is above the ceiling drywall but that would take an increased expense and effort. I'd have to cut through the joists and wire the joists on either side to the beam. It is easier to locate the beam below the joists.

Question : How can I get ceiling lights on a coffered ceiling plan if I use the structural beam ?

The reason I'm focused on getting lights on the beam is that I'd like to have enough lighting in the room to read, clean up, etc. Since that is the end goal, maybe I'm asking the wrong question.

Question behind the question : How can I get a lighting plan that allows me to read/clean up/etc if I decide to use a structural beam below the joists ?

The lighting plan consists of wall sconces, rope lights in the coffered ceiling and 6 lights in the coffered ceiling beams.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2012, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 267
How deep is the structural beam compared to the coffered ceiling beams? Would you be able to drop the coffered beam enough to allow for a shallow light?

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

The Plains Theater Has Begun
Old 05-21-2012, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter

The beam is 5 1/4" wide and 11 7/8 " in height. The coffered celing beams would be made to the same dimensions to match.

I'm not sure what you mean by dropping the coffered beam to allow for a shallow light. The coffered beam is what I'm calling the faux beam and it is hollow in the interior so it can support a recessed light.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

I guess I'm not following the question. My understanding of the problem is you intend to build a coffered beam "around" the structural beam to hide it, correct? Ten the problem would be having enough space between the coffered beam and the structural beam for a can light?

Am I completely missing the point here? A quick sketch might help clarify things.

Old 05-21-2012, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter

The easier plan I'm considering is replacing one of the faux beams with a structural beam so I won't need to hide it since the plan calls for a faux beam to be there anyway.

The problem is with how to get light fixtures in the ceiling using the beams if I use a solid beam for one of the 4 beams.
LL
Old 05-21-2012, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Where will your sound isolation envelope be? I'm guessing the structural beam is used to support the floor above, correct?

Old 05-21-2012, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter

Yes the beam is used to support the floor above. The sound isolation/acoustic treatments involve using resilient sound isolation clips, double layers of drywall with green glue on the studs and joists. The joists will sit on top of the beam unlike the faux beams where there will be drywall, RSIC separating the faux beam and joists.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

So using the structural beam as part of your coffered ceiling will leave a hole in your isolation envelope? I.e. there will be no clips, channel, DD+GG on the structural beam to decouple the room from the floor above?

Old 05-21-2012, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_A View Post

So using the structural beam as part of your coffered ceiling will leave a hole in your isolation envelope? I.e. there will be no clips, channel, DD+GG on the structural beam to decouple the room from the floor above?

True. I didn't consider that. Looks like I'll put the beam at the same level as the joists and that makes this discussion moot. Thanks for pointing that out.
Old 05-21-2012, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Glad to help!