Chasen the Dream Theater - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 104 Old 04-21-2013, 10:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I just stumbled across your theater. What an amazing build. Nicely done. I am finalizing my desgin and have similar room dimensions. I had envisioned much of the same trim detail and ceiling all the way down to the exact same sconces, in what you have done. None of the hundreds of photos I have saved alonging the way capture as many of the details all in one build. This is so very cool. I finally have a true life representatiton for the wife to show where the demolition and wiring has been headed.

1. As to the coffered ceiling. Your photos go from drywall to mostly finished ceiling. Do you have any in between photos depiciting how the coffered ceiling was constructed and mounted?

2. As to the palisters. How far does structure and light fixture protude from the wall? I need to be careful with sight-lines.

Thanks for any information you can provide.

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 104 Old 04-21-2013, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim S. View Post

What an amazing build. Nicely done.
Thanks for the compliment.

Quote:

1. As to the coffered ceiling. Your photos go from drywall to mostly finished ceiling. Do you have any in between photos depiciting how the coffered ceiling was constructed and mounted?
Sorry. Since I didn't do the construction myself, and the whole ceiling (minus the crown moldings) went up in a single day while I was at work, I don't have any pics to show how it was mounted.

Quote:

2. As to the palisters. How far does structure and light fixture protude from the wall? I need to be careful with sight-lines.
The Pilasters are 4" deep but, when you subtract the 1" depth of the wainscoting at the bottom half and the acoustic panels at the top half, and add ~1/2" for the molding detail, they protrude about 3 1/2" from the finished wall surface.

The lights protrude about 2" at the bottom and about 4" at the top (but the top is well above sight line concerns). One of the reasons I chose them was for their very narrow profile. Didn't want anyone banging their head as the squeezed by.

Hope this helps.
post #93 of 104 Old 04-21-2013, 12:40 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Yes, thank you. I hadn't thought of the acoustic panel depth next to it.
post #94 of 104 Old 04-22-2013, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by W00lly View Post

what kind of camera are you using to take your photo's ?

Photos were all taken with my Nikon D300, most with a Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 AT-X lens.
post #95 of 104 Old 06-12-2013, 12:55 PM

Quote:

I just stumbled across your theater. What an amazing build. Nicely done. I am finalizing my desgin and have similar room dimensions. I had envisioned much of the same trim detail and ceiling all the way down to the exact same sconces, in what you have done. None of the hundreds of photos I have saved alonging the way capture as many of the details all in one build. This is so very cool. I finally have a true life representatiton for the wife to show where the demolition and wiring has been headed.

I feel exactly the same way.

jchasen - what an amazing room.
post #96 of 104 Old 04-02-2014, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter

One more item I can check off my bucket list:

My theater appears in a two page spread of this month's Sound and Vision Magazine (formerly Home Theater Magazine).

post #97 of 104 Old 04-02-2014, 10:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Congratulations. I always thought your theatre looked great.
post #98 of 104 Old 04-03-2014, 05:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Congrats! I always liked your theater as well. I'll have to see if I can find this issue and pick up a copy.
post #99 of 104 Old 04-03-2014, 02:45 PM
AnalysisParalysis Analyst

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 276
Just got my issue in the mail today. Congrats Joel!!!
post #100 of 104 Old 04-03-2014, 03:40 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Congrats, very nice HT and I love the color scheme you selected. I know you are not allowed to given detailed pricing and costs,..but can you give a range of the budget you had when you started the project?

Thanks,

HTdville
post #101 of 104 Old 04-03-2014, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTdville View Post

Congrats, very nice HT and I love the color scheme you selected.

Thanks for the complement. I Sent you a PM with some info you might find useful.

-Joel
Anthony Cler likes this.
post #102 of 104 Old 06-22-2014, 03:51 PM

I just saw your theater in Sound & Vision magazine, which led me to the AcousticSmart website. I was very interested in their fabrics. With a little Googling I found this great post on your build.

Can I ask about the performance of the AcousticSmart fabric that covers your surrounds? How would you describe the level of acoustical transparency of the fabric? Can your ears tell that there is fabric over the speakers?

This AcousticSmart fabric is the first that I have found which has an attractive pattern on it unlike the plain GOM that most people use so I'm very curious about it's performance.

Thanks!
Alan
post #103 of 104 Old 06-22-2014, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailalan View Post
I just saw your theater in Sound & Vision magazine, which led me to the AcousticSmart website. I was very interested in their fabrics. With a little Googling I found this great post on your build.

Can I ask about the performance of the AcousticSmart fabric that covers your surrounds? How would you describe the level of acoustical transparency of the fabric? Can your ears tell that there is fabric over the speakers?

This AcousticSmart fabric is the first that I have found which has an attractive pattern on it unlike the plain GOM that most people use so I'm very curious about it's performance.

Thanks!
Alan
Alan,

I'm very happy with the esthetics and acoustics of the fabric. Granted, I haven't done any objective testing, or gone out of my way to look for flaws, but the surrounds sound good to me. How much the fabric affects the sound, and how much of this may be compensated for by the Audyssey room correction, I don't know - but the surround effects certainly don't sound muffled to my ears. When you hold the fabric in your hand it seems pretty heavy, certainly not light and airy like speaker grill fabric, but somehow it seems to work OK.

Not sure if you already saw this, but the technical specs on the fabric were posted in this thread here. And if you want any more information, I'm sure you could get it from Richard Charschan at AcousticSmart.

-Joel
post #104 of 104 Old 06-22-2014, 07:49 PM

Thanks very much Joel. I'm going to contact them and see if I can get some swatches. Thanks for posting all this info! You have a beautiful theater!

Alan
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page