My CIH theater - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 42 Old 08-03-2012, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I'm not sure about the foam underlay, but if it works it sounds like a good option as I would use it too smile.gif

What I would suggest is taht whatever you end up using, if it isn't black, you can cover it (the foam on the screenwall) with something like a black speaker grill cloth. It's AT like the screen and will help hide anything that's not black behind the screen. Some black velvets are said to be AT as well, and they may be a better choice as they will probably be blacker.

Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmalloc
Who says Cameron is "right" and why do we care about him so much - lol!

I trust Gary Lightfoot more than James Cameron.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 42 Old 08-03-2012, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 41
The product is not foam underlay it is black rubber underlay.
post #33 of 42 Old 08-03-2012, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Murray, thanks for your comments. Very impressive set up you have there. I don't feel I am qualified to definitively answer your question if the dense black rubber would work since I did not design my baffle wall.

For what it's worth, I looked back at my documentation of my build and my foam consists of Auralex wedges and Auralex Platfoam. The Auralex wedges are arguably more cosmetic than function. The wedges are 2 inches. Beneath the wedges are the Platfoam which is a high density acoustical foam as shown here and I believe mine are 1" thickness. All foam were glued on. 1 inch is 25.4 mm which obviously exceeds 10mm.

So with the above said, I can think of two alternatives to further explore,
1) Consult with qualified individual on the effectiveness of the 6 to 10 mm dense black rubber for your application (Hopefully someone on this forum can better answer and chime in) .
2) Consider re-do of screen wall to allow for proper acoustic foam.

There may be other, better solutions but unfortunately I can only answer questions from my build because that is all i know.
post #34 of 42 Old 08-04-2012, 08:09 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Well the purpose of the 'black stuff' on the baffle wall is generally twofold.
- absorb light that gets behind or to the side of the screen. If you have a black backing on your screen then you don't need the area behind to be black
- absorb the reflected sound back off the screen (yes, even though the screen is AT there is some reflections)

The rubber underlay is for something different. It doesn't have any sound absorbing properties to speak of really. It's also very heavy.

If you don't have black backing on your screen then I'd just paint the area behind a flat black. The other option is to pull some thickness off a 1" fiberglass to get it to fit, though that would be messy. Another option is just rehanging your screen to give you more room.

Master of Minions, Acoustic Frontiers. We specialize in the design and creation of high performance listening rooms, home theaters and project studios for discerning audio/video enthusiasts.
post #35 of 42 Old 08-04-2012, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi Nyal

My AT screen has a white back but I have no reflections as I painted the whole back wall and the speaker cases matte black. My sound is amazing but I was told it can even be better if I tread the back wall with a sound absorbent material. One has mentioned black felt, any thoughts or is it a waste of time?

I can also get the dark grey sponge that you often see in packing cut to any thickness I want from Dunlop http://www.dunlopfoam.co.nz/Foam/Foam-Products/Filter%20Foam/

I can not move the screen in anyother position.

Thanks for any help on this.
post #36 of 42 Old 08-04-2012, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Most people on this forum that are based in the US use a 1" thick Linacoustic which is designed as an acoustic duct liner I believe (it just happens to do the job in this application). There is probably something similar where you are but finding it might be tricky.

You need to find a product that will help absorb the sound that reflects back off of the screen so you don't have any sound bouncing between screen and baffle wall. I would think rubber would be reflective and better suited to sound proofing rather than acoustic application, but the correct type of foam should be better. I wonder if you did a google search in NZ for acoustic duct liner what would turn up.

Gary

Quote:

post #37 of 42 Old 08-04-2012, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Lightfoot View Post

Most people on this forum that are based in the US use a 1" thick Linacoustic which is designed as an acoustic duct liner I believe (it just happens to do the job in this application). There is probably something similar where you are but finding it might be tricky.
You need to find a product that will help absorb the sound that reflects back off of the screen so you don't have any sound bouncing between screen and baffle wall. I would think rubber would be reflective and better suited to sound proofing rather than acoustic application, but the correct type of foam should be better. I wonder if you did a google search in NZ for acoustic duct liner what would turn up.
Gary

What do you think of this, I can get this in black 12mm. http://www.forman.co.nz/upload/pdf_documents/acoustop%20absorber161A.pdf

I would have to keep the smooth surface against the wall.
post #38 of 42 Old 08-04-2012, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

It looks OK to my untrained eye, but it might be worth asking someone like Ted White or Dennis Erskine what they think. Considering you've got a limited space to work with and can't use an inch of foam, it looks like it might be your best choice.

I once used foam backed carpet on the lower side walls to tame the slap echo in my last HT and it worked well. The trouble is I've no idea what it was doing overall as I didn't measure the room in any way, so although it removed the echo, I reckon there was lots of room for improvement using the correct products. It could be a cheap alternative but a pain to remove if it doesn't work.

Gary

Quote:

post #39 of 42 Old 08-06-2012, 08:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Lightfoot View Post

Gary

Yep felt or jute would work. I use Auralex Platfoam on my baffle walls, normally two layers which makes 2" thickness.

Master of Minions, Acoustic Frontiers. We specialize in the design and creation of high performance listening rooms, home theaters and project studios for discerning audio/video enthusiasts.
post #40 of 42 Old 08-06-2012, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyal Mellor View Post

Yep felt or jute would work. I use Auralex Platfoam on my baffle walls, normally two layers which makes 2" thickness.

Jute, thats interesting, would never had thought. Would be difficult to find in flack though wont it?
post #41 of 42 Old 03-05-2014, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 471
Nice looking room - and similar dimensions to a space I may have to work with. This link is going to the wife for her thoughts.

One question -- with the AT screen - is there EVER a time you can see the speakers or a shadow of the speakers or any lack of white uniformity across your front AT screen? Since you can see through from behind the screen with the blue lights on the speakers I'm curious if you can ever make out the shapes from the front - without the backlight on.

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout

My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint

post #42 of 42 Old 03-05-2014, 08:24 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

Nice looking room - and similar dimensions to a space I may have to work with. This link is going to the wife for her thoughts.

One question -- with the AT screen - is there EVER a time you can see the speakers or a shadow of the speakers or any lack of white uniformity across your front AT screen? Since you can see through from behind the screen with the blue lights on the speakers I'm curious if you can ever make out the shapes from the front - without the backlight on.

Thanks Archaea. the only time I can see the speakers is when I have the blue LEDs on. With LEDs off (ie during a movie), I only see the beautiful image the projector + Seymour screen produces biggrin.gif
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page