Proper way to install a star ceiling? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 05-24-2012, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 60
I am still contemplating a FOSI star ceiling, but dont fully understand if the finished proper method of install creates a triple leaf.

I would have clips, channel, DD+GG on the ceiling. Does the fiber panel (assuming a pre-made one with the fibers already connected) go on as the last layer? If so, my understanding is that it needs a furring strip on the ceiling to offset and give room for the fibers. Does this create a triple leaf effect?

So the finished ceiling would be clips, channel, drywall, furring strips (air gap), FOSI panel?

Or do you have to order the DIY kit if you want a soundproof ceiling, so you can route all the fibers through both the drywall/GG and the OSB? That seems to me the only way to keep from creating a triple leaf... but I am not sure I can stomach all that work..... and obviously GG would get on the fibers this way..guess it can be cleaned....

I am probably missing something...please enlighten me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-26-2012, 09:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifiaudio2 View Post

I am still contemplating a FOSI star ceiling, but dont fully understand if the finished proper method of install creates a triple leaf.

I would have clips, channel, DD+GG on the ceiling. Does the fiber panel (assuming a pre-made one with the fibers already connected) go on as the last layer? If so, my understanding is that it needs a furring strip on the ceiling to offset and give room for the fibers. Does this create a triple leaf effect?

So the finished ceiling would be clips, channel, drywall, furring strips (air gap), FOSI panel?

Or do you have to order the DIY kit if you want a soundproof ceiling, so you can route all the fibers through both the drywall/GG and the OSB? That seems to me the only way to keep from creating a triple leaf... but I am not sure I can stomach all that work..... and obviously GG would get on the fibers this way..guess it can be cleaned....

I am probably missing something...please enlighten me.

Good question...Ted?

I assume not a problem because the star ceiling is not "sealed" around the ceiling???
post #3 of 7 Old 05-27-2012, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I did not worry about any triple leaf effect on my ceiling. I wanted a star ceiling and there is no practical way not to have a gap for the fibers. I have a triple layer sandwich of OSB-GG-DW-GG-DW and am very pleased with the results. I think the additional layer of the star ceiling only made the soundproofing better. My suggestion would be to have 2 layers of drywall or a layer of OSB and drywall (its really nice to be able to screw the star ceiling in anywhere) and do the star ceiling over that with a 3/4" gap for the fibers.
post #4 of 7 Old 05-28-2012, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Is substituting a layer of OSB for the first layer of drywall pretty much a necessity for a star ceiling?
post #5 of 7 Old 05-28-2012, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:

Is substituting a layer of OSB for the first layer of drywall pretty much a necessity for a star ceiling?

I'm going that route but I don't believe it is a necessity. It just makes things a lot easier not having to look for a joist
post #6 of 7 Old 05-28-2012, 10:02 PM

Liked: 10
I am also considering a FOSI star ceiling
Looking for feedback from members who have purchased
Looking at a 8x10 size using two of the standard 4x10 panels
post #7 of 7 Old 05-29-2012, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Quote:

Not a necessity but I was very glad I had the OSB.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page