looking for plumbing answers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 05-28-2012, 05:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I know this is not theater related at all, but I always love and appreciate the great advice for all home construction tasks.

Yesterday, the wife had me replacing a nut on our kitchen sink plumbing that was corroding. For whatever the reason, the metal slip nut on my strainer side of the sink was falling apart for the lack of a better term.

Well, with any good plumbing adventure things did not go back together very well and as a result I am currently only using the one side of the sink.

I figured this was a good time to now address the issue where the disposal side of the sink occasionally backs up, even when I only have water running in it. I usually just turn the disposal on and the water drains.

While looking for the fix, I found the following: http://www.nettally.com/palmk/GDplumbing.html

This is exactly what I have, except I also have a disposal elbow present before running over to the end outlet tee. My question is about this being to code or not. I thought this might be a double p-trap setup but I am not sure. The issue with a double p-trap they say is that the one side could potentially suck the water from the other p trap, but maybe I am misunderstanding.

Therefore, to be sure, I wanted to ask before installing this configuration. As the article states this as a better solution, it certainly would seem so because each side is now independent, but I am not sure if either relies on the other to pull air into the drain to help vent or anything like that.

Thanks a ton guys as I hope to get the sink back up and running today.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-28-2012, 06:23 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked: 679
Not sure from you description why you don't just plumb it like the diagram and be done with it, knowing it is correct. The parts are under $20
post #3 of 11 Old 05-28-2012, 06:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

you mean the one with the end outlet tee?
post #4 of 11 Old 05-28-2012, 06:48 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

I only looked at the first diagram, didn't read the part that said it sucked.
post #5 of 11 Old 05-28-2012, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 213
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...2071043AAujgvn

These plumbers say two traps will be fine, but maybe there's a caveat they're not mentioning. If you want two traps, have two traps.
post #6 of 11 Old 05-28-2012, 08:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

perfect.

I guess if I search the right terms I can find better answers. As the guys on that page state, if I do have an issue where the water is pulled from the other p-trap, then I can always add a vent so the air is pulled from there vs the other trap.

OK, now that I know it is safe to do this, time to go to work.
post #7 of 11 Old 05-28-2012, 08:48 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

If you are trying to solve the disposal draining slow issue until you run it, I think the problem is just stuff in the disposal that needed a little grinding not the plumbing down stream
post #8 of 11 Old 05-28-2012, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Slow draining sinks are more likely due to obstruction or improper venting.

If you add a second p-trap you shouldn't have any issues with trap siphoning provided the sink was vented properly to begin with. An individual vent is permitted to vent two trapped fixtures.
post #9 of 11 Old 05-28-2012, 06:48 PM

Liked: 10
second trap is fine, if you do experience any issue with it siphoning the other trap put an air admittance valve on the sink only side. (commonly called a studer vent)
post #10 of 11 Old 07-02-2012, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

OK, so I just wanted to bring closing to this issue. While it has been fixed for weeks, I have been slow to get the pictures posted and documented.

So, I ended up sticking with the original configuration, with the T and single trap. Since I was short on space and parts (due to time), I had to come up with a solution when it hit me. It doesnt help much when the drain pipe from the disposal is lower than the discharge into the wall. Excuse my lack for the proper terminology. Long story short, I removed the elbow from the disposal and and connected my straight pipe directly to the disposal instead and into the T. I shortened the pipe from the other sink to raise the T up level and now I am above the pipe going into the wall and the drain works fine. Better than ever. I no longer find myself running the disposal to get the sink to drain even when not filled with food.

removed this

image002-1.jpg

Ended up with this
image003-1.jpg

In the end I am glad I didn't over complicate things, even though I tried hard to
post #11 of 11 Old 07-13-2012, 10:06 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Just a forward looking thought, not all disposals have the discharge at the same height, choose your next one with that thought in mind. Did you break the outlet plate?
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page