Craftsman battery pack wont charge - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 05-28-2012, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,
The battery pack for my Craftsman cordless drill 18 v NiCd wont charge, the charger just stays on the green and yellow lights, indicating soft start or defective battery and wont charge no matter how long I leave it on the charger

Theyre are two batteries,they had both worked just fine, one day i had put one of the batteries in the charger and then plugged the charger in instead of putting in the battery with the charger already plugged in. And ever since then it wont charge. It stays on the yellow and green lights...wont change over to the red light to start charging. Ive made sure to let the battery drain completely with no luck, tried recharging over and over and it just wont charge. It does put a real weak charge on it, thats about it.

Then later on...the other battery started doing the same thing. It hadnt been put in before the charger was plugged in just charged normally. So i figured well thats it, so i put the the whole set up and stored it for a while months go bye I opened it back up and put one of the batteries on the charger,the last one to go bad, and it charged just fine. The other one though still wouldnt charge.

I read about how you can "zap" these batteries with a power source like a car battery or welder to revive them, so i took it apart and zapped each individual cell with a 12 battery charger on 10 amp setting. And while this did charge the battery for a bit it still wouldn't take a charge when put on the charger. Should i use a 50 amp setting?

Any reason why this happened to the battery? Anyone else had this same problem or know a fix for it? Other suggestions? thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-28-2012, 10:06 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 610
Buy replacements. Rigid has a pretty good deal right now on a drill and impact driver combo with 18v lithium Ion batteries. Once you use an impact driver for screwing you never go back. I'm using Makita.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...&storeId=10051
Mfusick likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PROJECTS:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 4 Old 05-28-2012, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick#2423 View Post

Hello,

I read about how you can "zap" these batteries with a power source like a car battery or welder to revive them, so i took it apart and zapped each individual cell with a 12 battery charger on 10 amp setting. And while this did charge the battery for a bit it still wouldn't take a charge when put on the charger. Should i use a 50 amp setting?

You are lucky! If one of those cells had a hard short and you did what you did, it probably would have exploded.

All batteries no matter what technology wear out. Nicads are particularly prone to short life spans.

If you got a year or two of service from the battery, that's life. Just buy a new one.

Glimmie's HT Page
Being redone - comming soon!

post #4 of 4 Old 04-05-2014, 08:34 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

The easiest thing to do is to open the pack and find out which of the 1.3v cellsĀ isn't good with a volt meter, and then replace it with a new one; you can find them at Fry's or another electronic store. It is always one the goes bad, and it usually costs only $2 to replace. A new pack will cost $50 or more, so you do the math. I like the 450 ips of torque the that drill has and have had mine for many years. So it costs $4 to $6 a year to keep it working, that's better then spending $200 to get a drill that does less...lol.

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page