#### The ULTIMATE Bass Demo Disc #### - Page 34 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-14-2015, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked: 437
Make your own demo disc (sort of)

First, the caveats:
There is no menu and no skipping, though fast forward and rewind work (usually).
Depending on your media and your player, it may not work at all.
The files will play in an endless loop.
You need to keep track of how much you're trying to fit on your media.
The files in each "set" need to be the same audio codec, i.e., DTS-MA or TrueHD, but not both (or anything else) in that "set."

That said, you need mediainfo to determine the codec (http://sourceforge.net/projects/mediainfo/) and tsMuxeR (http://www.videohelp.com/tools/tsMuxeR) to combine the files.

Select an m2ts file (one of Jindrak's, perhaps ), and determine the codec:

Monsters U. is True-HD, most of the others are DTS-MA.

Start tsMuxeR and "Add" a file.

"Join" (do NOT "Add") additional files as desired.

Select the Blu-ray output appropriate to your needs ("folder" actually creates two, the BDMV and the CERTIFICATE).
If desired, burn the iso or folders to disc with imgburn (http://www.imgburn.com/).

With my HTPC, I have had no luck playing DVD-RWs, though the folders play perfectly. I'm assuming it has to do with the slow playback speed. Or it may be that I don't often use imgburn.
A BD-RE worked fine.
I don't have a dedicated BDP to try, so let me know if/how this works for you.

Michael

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
Downloadable FREE demo discs: Demonstration Blu-Ray Discs (Independently Authored)
Welcome to AVS - Get out while you still can!

Last edited by LastButNotLeast; 01-14-2015 at 12:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2015, 10:50 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Downloaded Volume 1 and extracted all of the .m2ts files to stream from a portable drive connected to my Oppo. Works like a charm! Thanks for the hard work to create these. I'll be watching/listening to them tomorrow afternoon.

Onkyo TX-NR818, Emotiva XPA-5
Klipsch RF-7II Main Cherry (x2), RC-64II Center Cherry, RF-15 Wide (x2), RS-62II Surround (x2)
SVS SB-2000 Subwoofer (x2)
OPPO BDP-103D
Samsung PN64F8500
Old 01-15-2015, 06:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclones22 View Post
all of the .m2ts files to stream from a portable drive
Keep in mind that not all of the m2ts files are playable; some are created in the mastering process and can be deleted.

Downloadable FREE demo discs: Demonstration Blu-Ray Discs (Independently Authored)
Old 01-15-2015, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 554
Indeed, only the .m2ts files weighing at least a few hundreds of MB contain the actual scenes.
EDIT but I think @cyclones22 downloaded the Volume 1 *folder* on Mega. The folders only contain the scenes themselves.

Old 01-15-2015, 09:17 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Oh yeah, I know there are some useless ones in there. I've renamed them all thanks to the master lists provided and deleted the non-scenes. I'm excited to really give it a go this afternoon. It was too late last night to give a real go at higher volumes without angering neighbors!

Onkyo TX-NR818, Emotiva XPA-5
Klipsch RF-7II Main Cherry (x2), RC-64II Center Cherry, RF-15 Wide (x2), RS-62II Surround (x2)
SVS SB-2000 Subwoofer (x2)
OPPO BDP-103D
Samsung PN64F8500
Old 01-15-2015, 12:53 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by onyxbfly View Post
Are you on a mac or a pc? If you are using a pc there are a variety of utilities/ apps that you can use to remove malware/ adware etc. If you are on a mac you can use the same utilities as you would for a pc malwarebytes and adware etc.
You misunderstand completely. I am on OSX and do not install Java, Flash or questionable plugins. So no need for any of that PC adscanner foolishness.

The best defense is to not let this crap in in the first place rather than to be constantly trying to remove it. "But I must have flash!!!?!>!?>". Use Chrome if you must but don't install Flash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyxbfly View Post
One caveat it does come bundled with adware but its a free software and most of them of them are in some shape form or fashion. If you are going to use it just pain attention during the install and you shouldn't have any issues.
This is the definition of insanity.

Buncha savages in this town....

Sam Posten
Old 01-15-2015, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked: 988
Are any of you guys trying to stream this M2TS files with a PS3?

I'm using PS3 Media Server and am having issues with the files....some will play without a hitch, but others will not play at all or I have to go into the Transcode folder and pick an alternate stream.

Any ideas?

Should I get a dedicated streaming box (WDTV or ???)?

I do not have a HTPC.

AVR: Denon 4520ci, FL/R: Klipschorn, CC: Klipsch RC-64ii, SUR: Polk LS/FX x4, FH: Klipsch RB-51ii x2, SUB: PSA T-18 x2, DISP: Mitsubishi WD-73740, BluRay: PS3 & BDP-S5100, Remote: URC MX-700
--------------------------------------------------
Getting Started with REW
Audyssey 101
Audyssey FAQ
Old 01-15-2015, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
Are any of you guys trying to stream this M2TS files with a PS3?
The PS3 cannot play the .m2ts files (or at least, not all of them, might depend on the codec/format), unless of course they're on a BD (go figure). You'd need to transcode as you discovered.

The same goes with at least an older version of the WDTV Live, but this is more of a licensing issue with DTS in this case.

Quote:
Should I get a dedicated streaming box (WDTV or ???)?
I do not have a HTPC.
Well, an HTPC with an SSD allows instant playback of anything, plus games, etc. It's pretty hard to beat

Old 01-15-2015, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Damn you Neutro....I'm gonna have to build one now.

AVR: Denon 4520ci, FL/R: Klipschorn, CC: Klipsch RC-64ii, SUR: Polk LS/FX x4, FH: Klipsch RB-51ii x2, SUB: PSA T-18 x2, DISP: Mitsubishi WD-73740, BluRay: PS3 & BDP-S5100, Remote: URC MX-700
Getting Started with REW
Audyssey 101
Audyssey FAQ
Old 01-15-2015, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadath View Post
You misunderstand completely. I am on OSX and do not install Java, Flash or questionable plugins. So no need for any of that PC adscanner foolishness.

The best defense is to not let this crap in in the first place rather than to be constantly trying to remove it. "But I must have flash!!!?!>!?>". Use Chrome if you must but don't install Flash.

This is the definition of insanity.
I understand where you are coming from. You want to protect yourself, but I think that the "Guru's" at your local Apple store have been smokin' too much wacky-tabaccy and are trying to fool you into being paranoid about Flash and have you brainwashed about "PCs." Heck the whole "PC malware/spyware" comment that Apple users use puts it into perspective. It isn't a "PC" problem, it is a "foolish person" problem for those that get caught into all of the garbage on their computer. They may be too easy to click and install, but you are so paranoid that it is paralyzing you. It isn't your fault. The Apple pundits have been bashing that into the worlds head for decades. I know and work with many very smart people that have "PC Paralysis" as well. So be smart, but also be creative. It sounds like you can use the Chrome browser and not need any plugins to download the files. Personally, I checked out the details about the plugin for Firefox and I am 71% done with all of the downloads after starting just a few hours ago. I've got anti-virus, spyware, and malware protection, plus I always look for any "sneaky" programs that might want to get installed. Again, I am just being aware of what goes on to my computer. No issues with the plug in, and yes I will disable and uninstall it when the downloads are done.

I'm sorry, but if you need a software plugin to do this, but you are refusing to get said software, then how can we help? Uploading 44.44GB (yes, it really shows as 44.44) of data is no simple task for most of us. While I too like the torrent idea, a number of these demo discs have had issues with torrents and these threads get flooded with "nobody is seeding, someone start seeding" comments. This way it should stay there indefinitely and people should be able to download relatively quickly. Of course if someone wants to turn it into a torrent, I don't think that anyone will complain about having that alternative as well.

Also in regards to the software that onyxbfly said to use... onyx said to just step through the install to avoid any adware...

Last edited by nickbuol; 01-15-2015 at 09:20 PM.
Old 01-15-2015, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

FWIW, I installed the JDownloader just to download the demo discs and I got some pretty nasty malware/adware that attacked my Chrome browser. Didn't take too long to get rid of it, but it was annoying none the less.

This may have been all my fault though as I didn't go into the "Custom Install", I just hit "Automatic"....lesson learned...again.

Getting Started with REW
Audyssey 101
Audyssey FAQ
Old 01-15-2015, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Quote:
FWIW, I installed the JDownloader just to download the demo discs and I got some pretty nasty malware/adware that attacked my Chrome browser. Didn't take too long to get rid of it, but it was annoying none the less.

This may have been all my fault though as I didn't go into the "Custom Install", I just hit "Automatic"....lesson learned...again.
Oh my, so JDownloader is mentioned here and right away that it has adware in it, and onyxbfly even said to step through it to avoid adware and you still chose to install and then hit "automatic."

FYI that I got it all via Firefox and the Mega plugin right from the website. No adware, no spyware, no viruses... Quick(ish) downloads at about 2.5Mbs, uninstalled the plugin, even ran a computer scan and clean as can be...

Last edited by nickbuol; 01-15-2015 at 09:20 PM.
Old 01-15-2015, 08:37 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 24

Last edited by onyxbfly; 01-15-2015 at 08:54 PM.
Old 01-16-2015, 09:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbuol View Post
but I think that the "Guru's" at your local Apple store have been smokin' too much wacky-tabaccy and are trying to fool you into being paranoid about Flash and have you brainwashed about "PCs."
I'm a software professional who has been using computers of all flavors since 1977. I'm not a fanboy, I use tools that work best for me, from all vendors, some you will have only seen in the footnotes of history (if only the world had supported SGI's Irix better!). You have seen evidence IN THIS THREAD of unintended consequences of dealing with plugin vendors who put their profits over the security of their users. Why in the world would you use ANYTHING these asshats create? I'm not a neckbeard. I'm not paranoid. I refuse to use things that put my systems at risk or slow them down significantly (flash). YMMV. But if the only way to get these files is by using a ****** plugin I'll pass.

And yes, I realize the irony/hypocrisy of saying that I'd use a torrent over that. At least I can get a clean torrent app that doesn't monkey around with my browser.

Buncha savages in this town....

Sam Posten
Old 01-16-2015, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jindrak View Post
The reason I split them into 5GB chunks is because not everyone can handle a single download of a 47GB file. If their internet got interrupted sometime in the download, they'd be out quite a bit of bandwidth, whereas with the 5GB chunks, they're only out 5GB at the most. Mega has no file size limit, so I could have uploaded the entire folder as one, but I chose not to. Also finished uploading Volume 2 to mega, so that completes the upload of all 3 volumes to mega. Updated the first post with the links.
Hey Jindrak,

Do volume 1 & 2 on Mega now have clip names (instead of just clip numbers for filenames like with the ISO)? If so, I may re-download just for that.

Getting Started with REW
Audyssey 101
Audyssey FAQ
Old 01-16-2015, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Do volume 1 & 2 on Mega now have clip names (instead of just clip numbers for filenames like with the ISO)? If so, I may re-download just for that.
No need to re-download though... Attached below are listing of my directories in which you can see the name of the scenes linked to the appropriate file inside the BDMV/STREAM folder. Ok I admit that changing all the names by hand would be time consuming (making the links in the first place was!) but perhaps if you know someone who knows how to hack a .bat file or another quick script this could be automated.
Attached Files
File Type: txt listing_vol1.txt (6.7 KB, 28 views)
File Type: txt listing_v2.txt (5.2 KB, 22 views)

Old 01-16-2015, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm halfway through the download already...thanks anyway!

Getting Started with REW
Audyssey 101
Audyssey FAQ
Old 01-17-2015, 11:21 PM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
I'm halfway through the download already...thanks anyway!
I also had no problems with the download. Thanks for vol. 3 :-) No problem playing from the decoded files. I did get a 64Gb USB drive and the files also play fine from there. Further tests, putting the files on a 50 Gb BD data drive also worked ok. As a lark, I checked into burning the files as a 50GB blu ray disk but Toast 12 (on my Mac) has a limit of 98 video segments on a disk, slightly less than the number of files in Vol. 3. I don't know if this is a Toast 12 limitation or a Blu-Ray disk format limitation.

It's not a big deal as I said, as I said I have alternates. Over my local net from one of my computers, via USB, or via a B-R data disc. If I really wanted them on B-R disc I could just spit the files onto two discs.

But it did raise my interest, a Toast limit or a format limit?

Thanks for any further information.

Mike

Vizio M501D-A2r hdtv, Sony STR-DN1050 AVR, Oppo BDP-93 blu-ray, Samsung BD-UP5000 HD-DVD/Blu-ray combo, Roku 3, Apple TV
other older items of various types and vintages
Old 01-18-2015, 04:43 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anybody else having issues with the audio on Monsters University - Stop Being a Sullivan?
Old 01-18-2015, 08:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutro View Post
No need to re-download though... Attached below are listing of my directories in which you can see the name of the scenes linked to the appropriate file inside the BDMV/STREAM folder. Ok I admit that changing all the names by hand would be time consuming (making the links in the first place was!) but perhaps if you know someone who knows how to hack a .bat file or another quick script this could be automated.
Here's a batch file to rename vol.1 files. If this works well, I can create one for Vol.2.

Remove the .txt from filename.
Attached Files
File Type: txt vol1_rename.bat.txt (5.1 KB, 20 views)

Old 01-18-2015, 08:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by waxley View Post
Anybody else having issues with the audio on Monsters University - Stop Being a Sullivan?
Nope, plays fine on my end.

Here's the MD5 for it: a6dd4e3a221ef11d4e9167adafc308f5

Old 01-19-2015, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shpitz View Post
Here's a batch file to rename vol.1 files. If this works well, I can create one for Vol.2.

Remove the .txt from filename.
I couldn't get this BAT file to work, but I did notice something strange.

The very first entry (Avatar, Destruction of Hometree) doesn't exist on my Volume 1. Mine starts with 0000.mkv "Batman- Under the Red Hood - First Five Minutes". Any idea what's going on??

Getting Started with REW
Audyssey 101
Audyssey FAQ
Old 01-19-2015, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

I think you're looking at the files for volume 2.
Volume 1 does, indeed, start with Avatar.
Which is probably why the batch file doesn't work.

Old 01-19-2015, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Hmmm...nope, I'm looking at Volume 1 because all of the other clips are the same, just one number off.

Maybe I did something wrong when I copied them off of the ISO.

Getting Started with REW
Audyssey 101
Audyssey FAQ
Old 01-19-2015, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

I hope the listings don't have any errors -- I can't say I've double-checked every item...

Old 01-19-2015, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Avatar is not on any of the volumes. I had to remove it from the final version because of size constraints. Please see the updated first post for the most accurate list of scenes. I recall that I was quoted in the SVS owners thread, about me making folders with the files not just for volume 3, but for the others as well. I can re-upload the first 2 volumes with just the individual files if that would be preferred.

If one is going to make a simplistic assessment of the value of different alignments, it would be that sealed/IB goes the lowest, at the highest cost per dB; horns have the lowest cost per dB at the expense of size, and vented box characteristics lie in between the other two. None is inherently superior across the board, neither is any inherently inferior across the board. The one to use is the one that fits your response and output needs, available space and bank account. -BFM
Old 01-19-2015, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Hey Jindrak,

Thanks for all your hard work, it's very appreciated!

Yes, I would love to have the first two volumes with all the clips already named...that would be awesome!

Getting Started with REW
Audyssey 101
Audyssey FAQ
Old 01-19-2015, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jindrak View Post
Avatar is not on any of the volumes. I had to remove it from the final version because of size constraints.
Well... I just checked and the first file (00000.m2ts) on my version of Vol.1 is indeed the Destruction of the Hometree scene in Avatar (that was on the Vol.1 disc -- not sure if the folder is different). Did you change the content of the disc at some point?

Anyway, not a huge issue if you're going to release a named version of Vol.1-2 folders anyway

Thanks again -- those a really the go-to source for good demo material.

Old 01-19-2015, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 78
My bad. I'll update the first post.

If one is going to make a simplistic assessment of the value of different alignments, it would be that sealed/IB goes the lowest, at the highest cost per dB; horns have the lowest cost per dB at the expense of size, and vented box characteristics lie in between the other two. None is inherently superior across the board, neither is any inherently inferior across the board. The one to use is the one that fits your response and output needs, available space and bank account. -BFM
Old 01-20-2015, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 46
I believe it may have been this thread, although it's a monster to look through, that I found info on 2 different Blu-demo discs to download probably about 2 years ago. Before going through this entire thread again, does anyone know if any more recent discs have come out since and are available for download? Thanks a lot.

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Black Hawk Down Blu Ray , Inception Two Disc Edition Blu Ray , Master And Commander The Far Side Of The World Blu Ray , Iron Man Blu Ray , Irobot , Live Free Or Die Hard Blu Ray , Cloverfield Blu Ray , Avatar Three Disc Extended Collectors Edition Bd Live Blu Ray , Flight Of The Phoenix Blu Ray , Terminator Salvation Two Disc Directors Cut Blu Ray , The Incredible Hulk Blu Ray , Transformers Blu Ray , The Dark Knight Bd Live Blu Ray , Jurassic Park Ultimate Trilogy Blu Ray Digital Copy , Tron Legacy Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo