Swizzle Stick Theater - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #31 of 78 Old 06-12-2012, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 19
One of the remaining items to complete the theater has been to install a new door "knob" for the much thicker door. The original 1.5" thick door has been augmented by a 1" thick framed fabric panel on the theater side of the door. When the door is closed, this permits the "Swizzle Stick" GOM fabric pattern from the wall to also extend across the door, making the closed door "disappear."

Since all the other doors in the house uses stainless steel levers instead of knobs (IMHO, levers are much more practical), it made sense to have a matching lever on the door to the home theater.

I ordered a "thick door" kit to try and extend the Schlage Elan lever originally installed in the door, but it didn't work -- the Schlage kit only extends a maximum of 2 1/4 inches, while my door w/fabric panel is now 2 1/2 inches thick.

So I was forced to order an entirely new lever set from Emtek -- a Poseidon model lever, built specifically for a 2 1/2 inch door.

After it arrived I discovered a problem. Emtek assumed the latch bolt assembly would be installed equidistant from each side of the thick door. However for my home theater door, the latch bolt needed to be installed off-set to the outside of the door, away from the 1" thick fabric-covered panel and centered in the original latch bolt hole. The internal shaft/spindle attached to one of the handles was too long.

Fortunately it was possible to hack-saw a 1/2" length off of one of the spindles to make the the new lever set fit:

073da1f9.jpg
64d6fb88.jpg

Now the only remaining issue is that the privacy feature -- which makes it possible to lock the door to keep people out of the theater -- doesn't work since the threaded locking pin provided with the lever set is at least 1/2" too short. It needs to be longer to extend through the framed fabric panel side of the door. However, I think I can create my own solution (after a next trip to the hardware store) by cutting a long 6-32 bolt to size. This became an issue only because the latch bolt assembly is off-set rather than centered in the 2 1/2 inch wide door.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 78 Old 06-12-2012, 11:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked: 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by uberanalyst View Post

Now the only remaining issue is that the privacy feature -- which makes it possible to lock the door to keep people out of the theater.................

I think this is the first time I've seen someone concerned about keeping people OUT of the theater. Everyone else is trying to get people INTO the theater biggrin.gif

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!
The Plains Theater Has Begun
Pro Designed Room - Measurements Before/During/After Treatments.
post #33 of 78 Old 06-12-2012, 11:48 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
UberA,

First of all very nice work. Your HT looks great! I enjoyed reading this thread and seeing the photos. Second I wish Big lived with in four mile of me. My theater would have been that much better off had I been as fortunate as you!biggrin.gif I like the light pattern of the sconces. It really draws my eyes towards it. Also the room has a nice clean look to it...
I see we have similar taste in equipment, mine being D2V, Oppo 83, and I have 4 B&K amps in which I am now only using two of them to power the speakers through out the home the other two are in the closet collecting dust for now....

Cheers,

Jim biggrin.gif

post #34 of 78 Old 06-14-2012, 07:26 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3899 Post(s)
Liked: 3333
Some more of the construction details:

DOOR

As UberA has mentioned We decided to cover the inside of the door with the wall fabric.

So we built a frame:

IMG_8062.jpg

Filled it in with Insulshield

IMG_8067.jpg

Wrapped it in the fabric stapling on the back. Then mounted it to the door with 23 ga finish nails and some construction adhesive

IMG_8082.jpg

BASEBOARDS

UberA wanted a minimalist contemporary feel so we found some 1/4 x 2 1/2 inch pine strips and simply painted and mounted on top of the bottom furring strip which we had secured with the top edge 2 1/2 inches from the floor.

Then there was those darn stairs which already had the carpet installed so I couldn't hide any slop behind the carpet edge. I made a cardboard template by directly transferring the dimensions to the cardboard. Then used that to cut out a piece of 1/4 inch thick MDF to fit. Luckily the template worked on both sides of the room.

IMG_8003.jpg

774b1316.jpg
post #35 of 78 Old 06-14-2012, 09:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Sweet!

Ted

The Soundproofing Company
post #36 of 78 Old 06-17-2012, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

Some more of the construction details:
DOOR
As UberA has mentioned We decided to cover the inside of the door with the wall fabric.
So we built a frame:
IMG_8062.jpg

After BIG built this frame, I told him I always wanted to have the first home theater with a screen door. wink.gif
post #37 of 78 Old 06-17-2012, 07:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I don't think Ted makes Green Glue for screen doors wink.gif

post #38 of 78 Old 06-18-2012, 06:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Uber -

Finally catching up with this thread. GREAT looking theater! Glad you're finally getting to finish it.
Quote:
the house uses stainless steel levers instead of knobs (IMHO, levers are much more practical)

Unless you have a dog that can figure out how to pull the lever down!
Quote:
I'm so old that my childhood home phone had a rotary dial. And our phone number was listed with letters and numbers. Ours was West 8 2560.

We not only had a rotary phone, we had a party line! And our number was Sterling 3 6937. My Mother was 6 months pregnant with me when they moved in to this brand new development in the mid 50s. They had to beg to get phone service. The guy across the street was a salesman and needed the phone for work, so they were the other party on the line. I must have been 6 or 7 when we finally got a private line because I clearly remember the party line.

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends
Need motivation? Get LOGANED
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1014847

The Yellow Dog Cinema and Draft House
post #39 of 78 Old 06-26-2012, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I'm old enough that our phone number growing up was UNiversity 4 6028, and yes, it was also a party line so my parents could save money.

Years ago when I came home on break from college and secretly hooked up an "illegal" extension to the line (remember, the phone company used to charge extra each month for each extension) it apparently screwed up operation of the party line so that long distance calls accidentally got charged to the other party. biggrin.gif

Of course we wouldn't admit that we had an extension when the phone company called us on it, so they parked one of their trucks out front of the house as a form of intimidation.eek.gif My parents relented and ripped out the extension right after I went back to college.
post #40 of 78 Old 06-26-2012, 02:12 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 88
I can top that -- I am so old that our phone number when I was a kid was 325. When you picked up the phone, the operator said "Number, please" This was in Visalia, CA, about 10,000 people at that time.
Later (about 1950) we got rotary dial phones, and the number was 44485. Then that became REdwood 4-4485.
post #41 of 78 Old 06-26-2012, 08:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm so old I can't remember my first phone number wink.gif

post #42 of 78 Old 07-06-2012, 08:55 AM - Thread Starter

After waiting 5 weeks, the four custom Nailor grilles to cover the HVAC supply (x2) and return (x2) openings in the theater soffit finally arrived!

The good news is the linear bar grilles are exactly what I ordered, in the 6 by 36 inch size that actually fits the soffit openings. The bad news is that the 1 inch flanges surrounding the grilles don't quite cover many of the staples we used to secure the GOM black fabric to the wood frame surrounding the soffit openings -- some staples are located too far away from the opening.

So I'm going to see if my wimpy electric stapler will work with the relatively soft wood around the ducts (not MDF) to put in some new staples, and then remove some of the offending original staples BIG and I put in using his pneumatic stapler. Otherwise I may have to get BIG to come back with his air compressor and industrial-strength staple gun.

778d2e9b.jpg
49a9159c.jpg
0a104e8c.jpg
post #43 of 78 Old 07-06-2012, 09:02 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Oh no, let me know if you need me to bring my 5in1 tool and convince some staples to come out.
post #44 of 78 Old 07-06-2012, 10:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Black paint?

Tom Logan

post #45 of 78 Old 07-06-2012, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlogan6797 View Post

Black paint?

Yes, the aluminum grilles have a flat black finish (I lightened up the pictures) to match the black GOM fabric on the underside of the soffits, and to reduce the potential for light reflection back to the screen.

When ordering the grilles, I had the option of getting them in standard white or aluminum color -- and then personally applying black spray paint to try and cover all sides of the louvers without drips or runs, or paying a bit more for Nailor to paint the grilles black. I chose the latter.
post #46 of 78 Old 07-06-2012, 12:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 75
About how far back from the screen are your grills? Looks to be about 3 feet.

Visit the Lipszyc Home Theater! 1.0
2.0 done and finally posted! - Theater 2.0

And now...The Queen City Theater (3.0)
post #47 of 78 Old 07-06-2012, 01:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I meant applying black paint to the staples so they don't show.

Tom Logan

post #48 of 78 Old 07-06-2012, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blipszyc View Post

About how far back from the screen are your grills? Looks to be about 3 feet.

For the soffit openings near the front of the theater, yes, the grilles will be about 3-4 feet from the screen.
post #49 of 78 Old 07-06-2012, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlogan6797 View Post

I meant applying black paint to the staples so they don't show.

Thought of that, but the installation will be neater with the staples hiding under the grille flanges. Jeff (BIG) did such a nice job with the fabric that I need to maintain his high standards. smile.gif
post #50 of 78 Old 07-07-2012, 08:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Where are your return's/supply's located?

-----------------------------------------------
Chase "Fetch"

Old Theater Build

New House Build
post #51 of 78 Old 07-07-2012, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdika17 View Post

Where are your return's/supply's located?

Our two 6 by 36 HVAC supply openings are located in the side soffits near the front corners of the the room, well ahead of the first row of seating. Since cold air sinks, in the summer this keeps cold air from settling directly on anyone in the chairs.

The two identically-sized 6 by 36 inch return openings are located in the rear soffit, flanking the projector. This removes much of the projector exhaust before it can heat the room.

Supply and return openings are each serviced by 6" diameter flexible (and insulated for acoustics) ducts located entirely within the soffits. Up in the soffit these connect to rectangular ducts that penetrate the wall to the adjacent equipment room, which contains a geothermal heat pump as well as the rack containing all the home theater equipment. Because the double drywall is penetrated up in the soffit, sound leakage is minimized.

The home theater is one of two zones running off of that heat pump, so the theater has its own thermostat on the wall.
post #52 of 78 Old 07-07-2012, 04:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
If you can't get the staples out you could put the diffusors up and then make a nice wood frame to go around them to dress them up a bit and hide the staples.

DrifterStreetStudios

(A GPowers Inspired Fabric Framed Theater)

post #53 of 78 Old 07-15-2012, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter

For "service after the sale," you can rely on BIG. smile.gif

Jeff was nice enough to come back for a visit, bringing his industrial-strength stapler and air compressor. He spent about an hour putting in a new row of staples around each of the 4 HVAC openings -- much closer to the openings than the original staples we installed to hold the GOM black fabric to the underside of the soffits.

Since then I've (carefully, without ripping the black fabric) removed more than 100 of the original staples -- just the ones that were too far outside of the new HVAC grilles. After I installed the grilles you don't see any staples:

ea04a215.jpg
post #54 of 78 Old 07-15-2012, 01:30 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Now just one last item! looking good.
post #55 of 78 Old 07-24-2012, 11:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

Now just one last item! looking good.

OK, I'll bite. What is the one last item?

Or did you mean 'there is always one last item?"

Chris

"It hurts to admit when you make mistakes - but when they are big enough, the pain only lasts a second."
--Despair, Inc. "Regret"

My AviaTrix TM Build
post #56 of 78 Old 07-24-2012, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerParty View Post

OK, I'll bite. What is the one last item?
Or did you mean 'there is always one last item?"

I'm sure what BIG meant was the last item I need to totally finish the theater: At each corner of the theater on the bottom surface of the soffits, there are still staples showing where we had to join the pieces of black GOM cloth diagonally.

I haven't yet figured out the best way to hide these seams and staples -- although it will likely include strips of more black GOM cloth.

I've been having more fun lately automating the theater: I finally figured out how to connect an infrared emitter 100' to the opposite corner of the basement where the Lutron Homeworks whole-house lighting control system has a spare IR sensor mounted on a contact closure board. After reprogramming the Lutron system to define some more lighting "scenes" for the theater, combined with adding the appropriate additional commands to the Logitech Harmony remote, selecting various activities in the theater (e.g., "play Blu-ray", "watch Tivo") now turns on the appropriate lighting scene; turning off the system brings up the lights, etc.

Then to make it even more interesting, I installed the Roomie remote app on multiple iPhone/iPad devices. Combined with a IP2IR (IP network to infrared) repeater, and an infrared blaster mounted in front of a pre-existing IR sensor in my equipment rack, I can now also control everything via WiFi from a spare (obsolete) iPhone 3GS used as a remote control. Roomie is really slick and very intuitive to use -- even easier to setup than a Logitech Harmony remote. And with Roomie I can control my Tivo HD via IP/Ethernet rather than via infrared, resulting in much more positive and rapid control action when fast forwarding thru commercials, for example.
post #57 of 78 Old 07-25-2012, 04:59 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Exactly, remember that UberA watched movies for 5 years in a bare drywall and MDF theater. I'm going to stay on him to finish that last little detail . You can see that he is easily distracted by his electronic toys!
post #58 of 78 Old 07-25-2012, 11:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 64
post #59 of 78 Old 08-26-2012, 06:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by uberanalyst View Post

I'm sure what BIG meant was the last item I need to totally finish the theater: At each corner of the theater on the bottom surface of the soffits, there are still staples showing where we had to join the pieces of black GOM cloth diagonally.

This is your one month reminder... smile.gif

Chris

"It hurts to admit when you make mistakes - but when they are big enough, the pain only lasts a second."
--Despair, Inc. "Regret"

My AviaTrix TM Build
post #60 of 78 Old 10-05-2012, 06:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked: 709
Done yet? It has been almost 6 weeks since the last "reminder." smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction