Swizzle Stick Theater - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #61 of 69 Old 10-05-2012, 08:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I got sidetracked working on our Lutron whole-house lighting control system (which also controls the home theater). Bought a used ($4K if new) processor on eBay for $599, to replace our 11-year-old processor which was only controllable via RS-232. The one bought used off eBay includes an Ethernet TCP/IP networking interface, which now lets me reconfigure everything via WiFi from my laptop, as well as lets family members control all lighting remotely via Lutron apps running on iPhones and iPads.

Also had to upgrade Lutron software on the laptop from older Homeworks Interactive to newer Homeworks Illuminations, while preserving all the programming and configurations.

Unfortunately found out that 4 of the the circuits (controlling about a dozen lights) on the D48 board of the Lutron processor bought off eBay don't work, so some of the VAREO switches in the house are no longer remotely controllable by the processor. Am currently trying to determine if I can substitute the D48 board from our original older processor for the malfunctioning D48 board in the newer processor.

So the bottom line is that I hope to get back to finishing the theater as soon as I fix the whole-house lighting system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 69 Old 03-04-2013, 06:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
A bit after the last post, but wondering how you obtained the nailor grilles...wentto their website but didn't see any online ordering tool, do you email and they sell direct, or is there a chain store that carries them. Re-doing my room and want to turn a floor return into two Nailor grilles in a soffit for returns...my room really heats up from the PJ and a floor return. Thanks in advance
post #63 of 69 Old 03-04-2013, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter

You have to buy Nailor grilles from one of their "local" distributors/representatives. I purchased mine from an HVAC supplier, Metropolitan Equipment Group in Greenbelt, MD, since northern VA is located within their territory. I just called them up on the phone, told them what I wanted from the catalog, and provided a credit card number. The grilles were direct shipped to my home.

You can look up the distributor for your location/territory by going to www.nailor.com and clicking on "REP LOCATOR."
post #64 of 69 Old 03-04-2013, 09:11 AM
Advanced Member

thanks!
post #65 of 69 Old 03-04-2013, 11:47 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 580
I recently found an alternative on line source for linear grills in made to order custom sizes, Haven't tried them yet but I have purchased other items from the site without issue.

http://www.hvacquick.com/products/residential/Grilles-Registers/Bar-Linear-Grilles/Dayus-Bar-Linear-Grilles
post #66 of 69 Old 03-04-2013, 01:17 PM
Advanced Member

What a great site! They have lots of things I could use (dryer vent booster fans, crawl space fans, etc. Linear grilles look good!
post #67 of 69 Old 03-18-2013, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Fantastic theater! Very refreshing to see fabric used with a pattern. I feel for Big though having had to keep the pattern straight when wrapping the fabric. Sounds maddening!eek.gif

My favorite thing about your theater is the riser height and how the front seats are recessed between the stairs. Great job!!

JBL Pro Cinema
post #68 of 69 Old 06-12-2014, 12:14 PM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by uberanalyst View Post
Here's a another element of the theater that's different from what I've seen on the forum.

5 years ago after I had hired a contractor to build the basic theater, including columns, riser, soffit, etc., I then had to figure out how to hang my SMX acoustically-transparent screen.

Since I had few woodworking tools (or skills -- I'm an EE/computer science grad), and I didn't trust a screenwall constructed of 2x4s to stay straight over time, I decided to order and construct a screen wall built of T-slot aluminum extrusions (http://www.automation4less.com/tslots1.htm).

I figured out exactly which pieces were needed (in which lengths), and ordered them to size. After they arrived it was like building with a giant erector set, bolting everything together. The resulting frame is complete overkill from a structural perspective, but it worked very nicely -- the Z-clip that came with my SMX screen bolted perfectly into slots of one of the upper cross-beams, making it easy to hang and remove the screen. (Pardon the curves in the photos caused by the wide-angle lens; the aluminum beams are perfectly straight

Does your Screen Material attach to a Screen Frame, and the Screen Frame to this Aluminum Screen wall...

OR are you attaching Screen Fabric directly to the Aluminum screen wall and the screen wall also serves as the frame?

Thanks,

Kevin
post #69 of 69 Old 06-12-2014, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmhvball View Post
Does your Screen Material attach to a Screen Frame, and the Screen Frame to this Aluminum Screen wall...

OR are you attaching Screen Fabric directly to the Aluminum screen wall and the screen wall also serves as the frame?

Thanks,

Kevin
The screen material attaches to (i.e., stretched across) a screen frame (SMX screen product, now out of business), and the screen frame attaches to the aluminum screen wall hanging from a z-clip across the top of the opening.
kmhvball likes this.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page