Tonight's issue I had to find a solution for. The two load bearing columns under the I-Beam in this picture
Now I could have just framed them and tied them into the soffit above, but i wanted to do a bit more. I didnt want any part of the framing to come in contact with the columns. I started by just putting up some blocking above and to the sides of the columns
I used angle brackets to attach the 2 2x4's to the blocking.
This enabled me to just let them hang from the soffit with about 1/8 gap at the bottom.
I then used 3/4 OSB to attach each side
I stuffed the cavity with fiberglass insulation, but made sure not to compact it.
And just sealed it up
This may all have been a bit of overkill, but I am not taking any chances with acoustics. With the column framing just hanging from the soffit there is no contact with the column itself. The insulation inside should keep it from making contact. Next I will hit the seams with some acoustic calk and also around the edges at the bottom.
And then it will get the full treatment of channel, OSB, DD, GG along with the rest of the room.