"Georgia Theater Build" (Help me build from the ground up!) - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

Old 07-27-2012, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Thanks for the response Mike, I really appreciate all the help from the AVS community. I have slowed down the building process while I work on the rest of the basement and work out some good plans for the room. I am definitely planning on toeing the corners of the stage and was going to have removable AT fabric panels on the front and sides facing the screen (borrowing heavily from Mario's Cinemar build) I would like the stage to be framed and drywalled or mdf with some acoustical treatments like lining it with linacoustic and maybe creating bass traps on the top half of both speaker columns ( advice welcomed biggrin.gif). I am definitely going with two rows as I have a large extended family that will be enjoying the theater with us and I have the length two fit two rows.. I am thinking at this point I will not use recliners on the backrow and go with some theater style seats or a long couch, as I want to make sure my front row is not to close to the screen. I will rework my design and speaker placement and am planning on using a bipole/dipole for my surround speakers so that I have some additional flexibility in the side column placement. Thanks again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2015, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter

Back for a lonngggg hiatus

So after 3 years, another child, career changes and many other life events I am finally getting back to my theater build!!

Full basement is framed out including the theater. Framed in the back wall and new theater door that will fit a nice solid core or exterior door. 24" soffits on both side walls run the full length of the theater.

Next step is electrical (full basement) and running all my AV cables. Going to run 2 HDMI and CAT6 fro the projector and the good MP speaker wire for 7.1 (even though I am changing setup to 5.1 for now).

Should be completely done with the whole basement and theater by May. More posts and questions to come, Glad to be back!!!
Old 04-14-2016, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter

Update:
- Double Insulated Walls and Ceiling (my attempt to sound dampen)
- Ran all cables
- 2 HDMI to Projector
- 1 Cat 6 to Projector
- 7.2 Speaker and woofer cables 16 for front stage 14 for surrounds
- I ended up adding 1- 1/2" PVC conduit to right above the low voltage box in the picture. Decided to do this the last night before drywall goes up today.

Drywall is going up today, I can't wait to see it I feel like a kid on xmas morning. is that weird?
I did not end up doing all the sound proofing that I originally planned. I decided it wasn't worth it due to budgeting and the fact that the basement theater is on the complete opposite side of my kids rooms. I did end up adding double R13 for the walls and R30 on ceilings, seems to deaden the sound inside and outside of the room. A/V room is next to the theater so I wont have any component sound to worry about.

Next Steps:
- Riser - Planning on a 5-1/2 to 6' depth and trying to decide if I should run it the full width of the theater or just have a floating riser with stairs on either side. I am only planning on having a couch on the riser so it may look funny if the riser is 14' wide and couch is only 7' in the middle.
- Stage- I would like to add columns and a middle run to house sub-woofer and center.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160412_220856.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	1379554   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160412_220850.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	1379562   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160412_220839.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	134.7 KB
ID:	1379570   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160412_220753.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	1379578  
Old 04-19-2016, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter

Drywall is up and it's got me rethinking my plans for the riser. My Room demonstrations are 16x18.5. I was planning on a 5/1/2 to 6'x16 riser where I will put a long leather couch for spillover seating. I am only going to go with 4 chairs and will use these on the floor. When I sit where the first row will be (12' away from screen) it seems like it maybe to close. I really want to be fully immersed but am wondering if sitting 12' away from a 120" screen is too close?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1b2ab9ab_Drawing4 (1).jpeg
Views:	23
Size:	260.3 KB
ID:	1391138  
Old 04-19-2016, 12:13 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by atolnay00 View Post
Drywall is up and it's got me rethinking my plans for the riser. My Room demonstrations are 16x18.5. I was planning on a 5/1/2 to 6'x16 riser where I will put a long leather couch for spillover seating. I am only going to go with 4 chairs and will use these on the floor. When I sit where the first row will be (12' away from screen) it seems like it maybe to close. I really want to be fully immersed but am wondering if sitting 12' away from a 120" screen is too close?
I'm going to be 9.5-10' away from a 125" 16:9 screen. I think you are fine. Someone will probably post the viewing angle diagram.
atolnay00 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement