Fabric Samples box of fun - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 06-08-2012, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Spaceman and I went back and forth a bit in his build thread about fabrics for wall coverings / acoustic panels - how acoustically transparent different fabrics are, different fabric companies, etc. I had a thought, that since many of us who already have our wall coverings up have accumulated a lot of fabric samples during our build planning, they could be useful to others who are just getting to the selection stage. So here's my thought - sort of a "pay it forward" for fabric samples. I box up all the fabric samples I have and send it to Spaceman (I'll pay for the shipping); next in line who needs it replies to this thread to say they want to get the box of fun next (for a while - hopefully it doesn't stall at one place for 6 months) - Spaceman pays the shipping to the next person in line (adding any new samples that he's done with). Etc.

Anyone interested? Maybe first reply gets "next" - unless someone's needs are more time sensitive, and they can do an order swap.

Here are the samples that are going in the box (to start - others may want to add additional samples, and post pics):

Dazian samples:

Fabric%2520Samples%2520001.jpg

Acoustimac DMD samples:

Fabric%2520Samples%2520002.jpg

Black masking fabric samples from Rose Brand:

Fabric%2520Samples%2520003.jpg

GoM FR701 sample card (tiny color swatches, but many colors):

Fabric%2520Samples%2520004.jpg

Poly Suede samples from Scenic Source:

Fabric%2520Samples%2520005.jpg

sample cards from Rose Brand:

Fabric%2520Samples%2520006.jpg

GoM samples from the FR701 line:

Fabric%2520Samples%2520007.jpg

GoM samples from the Framework and Broadcast lines (I used the top right one for my main wall panel fabric):

Fabric%2520Samples%2520008.jpg

marine vinyl samples from All Vinyl Fabrics (I used the first one on my columns):

Fabric%2520Samples%2520009.jpg

a few samples from DistinctiveFabrics.com:

Fabric%2520Samples%2520010.jpg

triple velvet from syfabrics.com:

Fabric%2520Samples%2520011.jpg

some upholstery fabric samples from newtoto.com:

Fabric%2520Samples%2520012.jpg

1. Spaceman
2. toofast68 (PMed me, mentioned he's a little behind Spaceman in his build, so I assume Spaceman gets first dibs)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
| Xbox Live: Atomic Hamper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-08-2012, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 96
I also have 12"x12" samples of other stuff, like JM Linacoustic and Knauf Sonic XP Duct Liner, if we are really talking about a "Box-o-fun". Of course, if this complicates things and we want to keep this limited to just fabrics, that's fine with me.

Spaceman Theater Build

post #3 of 9 Old 06-08-2012, 11:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
As we PM'd...this makes total sense - so if Spaceman takes your first batch...I would love to be next in line after Spaceman.

I think I just need the fabric...so perhaps a mini box o fun.

post #4 of 9 Old 06-08-2012, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 71
I have a stack of samples - grays and reds and a few patterns...i think 30 in total. I'm not 100% decided on fabric yet, but when I do I'll certainly forward along...

The Esquire Theater Construction Thread:

post #5 of 9 Old 06-12-2012, 08:02 PM
Advanced Member

So if anyone has any dark samples of FR701's I could use them. Only looking at dark colors...but if you want to send all I will review and send along to the next person.

Thanks in advance!

post #6 of 9 Old 06-12-2012, 09:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 57
I added pictures of what I have that will go in the first shipment to Spaceman tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirBenji View Post

I have a stack of samples - grays and reds and a few patterns...i think 30 in total. I'm not 100% decided on fabric yet, but when I do I'll certainly forward along...

Sounds cool - but if you don't actually need the samples to go to you, how can we merge your pile into the roaming box, per the description above? Unless you want to send to Spaceman separately, and he merges into one box, and sends that on its way when he's done? Or it could get sent to you, and you add yours, and send it to the next person on the list?

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofast68 View Post

So if anyone has any dark samples of FR701's I could use them. Only looking at dark colors...but if you want to send all I will review and send along to the next person.
Thanks in advance!

A few dark color samples (see pictures in the first post), plus the color card that has tiny swatches of a broad range of colors for FR701. Let me know if what I have is useful to you or not - if so, I'll add you to the list.

|
|
|
|
| Xbox Live: Atomic Hamper
post #7 of 9 Old 06-13-2012, 05:21 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 608
Quote:

Thanks in advance!

Is there a reason you aren't just ordering the FREE samples from the Guilford of Maine web site?

PROJECTS:

post #8 of 9 Old 06-13-2012, 07:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

Is there a reason you aren't just ordering the FREE samples from the Guilford of Maine web site?

hehe, yep...because I was not aware I could do that.

I was working with the fabrimate track guys and saw they charged for every sample. Trying to see if that is a cheaper/faster options vs building a bunch of frames.

I will check out GOM directly.

Thanks as always!

post #9 of 9 Old 06-13-2012, 07:55 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 608
Quote:

Trying to see if that is a cheaper/faster options vs building a bunch of frames.

IMHO the quickest, cheapest and simplest way to attach fabric is the old school furring strips on the wall, You just need to plan your columns and molding to hide the staples.

PROJECTS:

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page