Beam 2" Below Ceiling - Need Suggestions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 06-08-2012, 09:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 267
The space for my theater has an LVL that hangs down 2" past the rest of the ceiling framing (see the picture and Sketchup below). I'm trying to figure out the best way to deal with it. I'm planning to use clips, channel, DD + GG, but the clips and channel only make up about 1-3/8". So I need another 3/4" to clear the bottom of my beam, and leave a little gap between the first layer of drywall and the LVL. Here's what I've considered so far.

1) I've considered adding some 3/4" ply to the bottom of my ceiling joists, but I wonder about the overall strength of attaching the clips to the ply that's attached to the joists.
2) I could add some 2x4's at 16" centers, but then I'd be giving up another 3/4" that's not necessary. I've got 9' ceilings, so it's not a huge deal, but I hate to give up the space if I don't need to.
3) I could just mount my clips to the other joists, and frame around the LVL. Then I'll need to do a coffered ceiling, which I've considered anyway. Unfortunately the beam is not really centered or at a good multiple to divide up the ceiling.

So, any other suggestions? Am I making too big a deal? Adding the 2x's seems like the easiest option. I could also get creative with my ductwork, and then I could make the soffits just big enough for bass traps and running wires.

LVL001.jpg

TheaterOnly_IncludesFraming.jpg

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

The Plains Theater Has Begun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-08-2012, 10:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Now that is some crazy looking blocking/header for the lvls!

Put up some dimensions of the room with where it is located. I have a semi coffered ceiling in the theater which isnt perfectly centered on the length dimension (same case as yours but dont know how close it is to front or back wall).

Using strips would be fine as long as you use longer screws. That would be the easiest and take up less space. But, there could be more creative ways of dealing with it if know the exact location.
post #3 of 8 Old 06-09-2012, 06:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yeah, that blocking is a bit much. They took out a 24" LVL and replaced it with the 18" you see in the picture. The concrete foundation wall is notched for the thing as well.

I'll try to post some dimensioned plans later today, but the beam is about 13' from the rough framing of the front wall. I'd like to add a false wall up there too, So that will take another 2'-3' off. The room is about 32'-10" to the longest point, and about 30'-3" at the other side.

post #4 of 8 Old 06-09-2012, 09:23 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 574 Post(s)
Liked: 735
make lemonade out of that lemon. google search images

coffered-ceiling.jpg
2.jpg
post #5 of 8 Old 06-09-2012, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

make lemonade out of that lemon. google search images
coffered-ceiling.jpg
2.jpg

Yeah, thats where I was going too. I have a full coffered ceiling in the bar and a half coffered in the theater. There should be some creative ways of coming up with a design.

Once he verifies the exact dimensions I'll throw up a couple ceiling plans.
post #6 of 8 Old 06-09-2012, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the feedback guys! I really appreciate it. Here are a couple of Sketchup models to help with dimensions. The first shows the overall theater layout. False wall, two rows of seating plus a bar. 15" riser, and a stage. The next image gives dimensions to seating, riser, and screen wall (all tentative at this point). Following that is a model of the framing, that it pretty accurate with regard to where studs and joists are. And lastly, a model showing the major ceiling dimensions including the distance to the beam. That LVL is 8" wide and hangs down below the other joists by 2" (all the other ceiling joists are 16", and that LVL is 18". It's worth noting that the spacing of those joists varies as there are several LVL's and several joists that are doubled. So it's not a consistent 16" center to center spacing.

TheaterWithFurnishings.jpg

TheaterFurnishedWithDim.jpg

TheaterFramingSideView.jpg

TheaterCeilingDimensions.jpg

Let me know if the dimensions don't show up well, and I can try to correct that.

post #7 of 8 Old 06-11-2012, 12:48 AM
AVS Special Member

What are your soffit dimensions as of now for the room, and how much of a soffit do you want in front of the screen. Like are you putting any lights in the part in front of the screen or blacking it out or what?
post #8 of 8 Old 06-11-2012, 08:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

None of this is set in stone, but here is one idea I've had. Around the perimeter, the soffit is 10" deep by 19" wide. There's an area at the back that's wider due to the shape of the room. The soffit at the front is the same as the stage as is almost 4' past the screen at the furthest point. I haven't decided on colors, so I may end up making the soffit at the front black to minimize reflections. I'm also toying with the idea of making the soffit 8" deep if I can figure a way to route my ventilation without using the soffit.

SoffitDimensions.jpg

I've toyed around with some soffit ideas (models are in my build thread), but I just couldn't find anything that I really liked. I think part of it was I couldn't get it symmetric because of where the beam is, and I was afraid it would need to hang down too far. I would welcome any ideas!

Thanks again!

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page