Construction Photos of Theater Entrance and Game Room Remodel - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 06-10-2012, 03:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Alright last year was the home theater remodel this year it is the game room and HT entrance. Three weeks ago we added stained wood ceiling and stained wood floors. Now we are adding box panel molding on all of the walls that will be painted an off white. Also columns that flank the entrance with a marquee over the door with the name Galaxy Theater. Two light boxes will go to the right of the entrance in the areas that are framed with small F molding.

The first two shots are the before construction:

Entrance with new columns that are not finished with the trim work. That will be completed on Monday. The two light boxes go to the right of the doors.

Columns will get more trim work on Monday.

50" TV goes between the two windows.

The light box on the right is the one I bought. Two of these will go to the right of the door.

I was thinking that I would do my letters like Big did below in the brushed silver. The header and columns will be in a off white and I might paint the inside of the
box black to make the letters pop out. Or I could attach the silver letters to a board painted black and insert that into the box. There will be a rope light just under the letters to light them up. If silver does not work I can spray paint the letters in black.
I order the letters on Monday any suggestions on what would look best would be appreciated.wink.gif The light boxes are black and silver so the letters for the marquee could go either way.

Thanks,

Jim biggrin.gif

P.S. The doors swing in towards the game room and have to be change so that they swing in towards the theater. The carpenter is going to have to remove the door frame take it out side and sand it down and flip it. One side is stained and the other is white. This will be one pain in the back side. Any suggestions on an easier way feel free to chime in...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 06-10-2012, 08:02 AM

Liked: 10
The architectural details are great. I really like the overall look.
post #3 of 14 Old 06-10-2012, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcs2000 View Post

The architectural details are great. I really like the overall look.

Thanks jcs2000, we like the wood panel look...

Any one have any comments on my question regarding the color of font in the marquee, or the door swing issue, or ideas on lighting the marquee?
post #4 of 14 Old 06-10-2012, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by trek737 View Post

P.S. The doors swing in towards the game room and have to be change so that they swing in towards the theater. The carpenter is going to have to remove the door frame take it out side and sand it down and flip it. One side is stained and the other is white. This will be one pain in the back side. Any suggestions on an easier way feel free to chime in...

Wow Jim that looks great!

As for the door - remember what my painter was able to do with a paint grade door to make it match the stain! May be easier to faux paint it than trying to strip it off and staining that side...

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #5 of 14 Old 06-10-2012, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

Wow Jim that looks great!
As for the door - remember what my painter was able to do with a paint grade door to make it match the stain! May be easier to faux paint it than trying to strip it off and staining that side...
Jeff

Thanks Jeff,

Quick question for Jeff and anyone else who wants to chime in... Which way do your HT doors open, into the theater or away from the HT? Or does it matter that the doors open into the game room, they would be able to go a full 90 degrees from the wall with out hitting the two columns...
post #6 of 14 Old 06-10-2012, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Which way do your HT doors open, into the theater or away from the HT? Or does it matter that the doors open into the game room, they would be able to go a full 90 degrees from the wall with out hitting the two columns...

Mine swings into the room, but out of the way (in the alcove, it covers the attic door when open). Don't know if there's any code issues about direction since it's not a bedroom. As long as the entry doesn't feel crowded with both door open, I'd probably leave them that way. Get some rubber stops at the bottom so they don't hit the columns, but get maximum travel. How far out do the doors protrude from the columns when open?

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 

post #7 of 14 Old 06-11-2012, 06:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Mine swings into the room, but out of the way (in the alcove, it covers the attic door when open). Don't know if there's any code issues about direction since it's not a bedroom. As long as the entry doesn't feel crowded with both door open, I'd probably leave them that way. Get some rubber stops at the bottom so they don't hit the columns, but get maximum travel. How far out do the doors protrude from the columns when open?
Jeff

Hey Jeff,

The doors when open are about 10" past the columns. My step dad is a retired architect and I asked him which way the doors should swing and he says they should open into the game room. I asked several other people all with the same answer. I was the only one who thought maybe in towards the theater because when they are open it blocks your view a little bit of the column. So the doors stay they way they are and my carpenter will be very happy to hear this today. biggrin.gif

Jeff when the room is finished we would love to have you over for a cold one and check it out...wink.gif

Thanks for your input,

Jim
post #8 of 14 Old 06-11-2012, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
The ceiling turned out nicely, is that wood planking or panels?
post #9 of 14 Old 06-11-2012, 06:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by phisch View Post

The ceiling turned out nicely, is that wood planking or panels?

Thanks phisch,

Wood planks that are tongue and groove and nailed to the ceiling then stained once installed...
post #10 of 14 Old 06-11-2012, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Jeff when the room is finished we would love to have you over for a cold one and check it out...wink.gif

Your definition of finished or mine? biggrin.gif

post #11 of 14 Old 06-11-2012, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Your definition of finished or mine? biggrin.gif

Good question! As you know I and many others here on AVS will never be officially done....biggrin.gif But in a few weeks when all of the dust settles on this project the offer still stands if you want to drop by... just let us know!wink.gif
post #12 of 14 Old 06-12-2012, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter

Carpenters were here last night until 11:00 pm. I hung out in the game room after and admired the nice wood work they did with a cold beer as it was a long day. Painters showed up today at 8:30 and they are prepping the four areas that are going to get painted today and tomorrow ie; game room, foyer, master bed room and hall way up and down stairs.

post #13 of 14 Old 06-26-2012, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Just wanted to give kudos to Jim for a great writeup in Electronic House!

http://www.electronichouse.com/article/diy_dream_theater_come_true/

post #14 of 14 Old 06-26-2012, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Just wanted to give kudos to Jim for a great writeup in Electronic House!
http://www.electronichouse.com/article/diy_dream_theater_come_true/

Jeff,

Thanks... Lisa Montgomery did a nice write up on our HT. biggrin.gif

Cheers,

Jim
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page