The Lakeway Gothic Theater Build - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 22 Old 06-10-2012, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hello Everyone, my name is Brady, my wife and I just finished building our first house in Weatherford TX and the ability of incorporating a DIY dedicated theater was a dream come true! I've gained all of my HT knowledge from AVS over hundreds of hours of research so I thought I'd try to document this build and hopefully provide some benefit back to the community. I will try to keep this first post up to date and may add additional detail to it as time progresses.

Most Recent Theater State: (10/10/2012)

HT Equipment:
  • Screen: 125" Wide 2.07 CIA Seymour AV with CIH and CIW Fidelio velvet masking panels
  • Projector: JVC X-30 (RS45)
  • Subwoofer: JTR Captivator S2 up front and Velodyne DD-15 in the back
  • L/C/R: JTR Triple 12HT
  • Surrounds:4 X JTR Slant 8's with MiniDSP controlling delays and levels
  • Surround Backs: 2X JTR Slant 8's
  • Receiver: Onyko 805
  • Amp: Outlaw 7125
  • Bass Management: Anti Mode Dual Core 2.0
  • Sources: PS3/XA2/Apple TV/Xbox 360/Uverse box
  • Room Treatments: GIK Soffit Bass Traps X 4. GIK 242 and 244 wall treatments (21 total) 2" Roxul insulation for front wall.
  • Rack: Atlantic Technologies Slim 5 37U
  • Room Design: AVS Pro Theater Layout by Shawn from the Erskine Group

HT Design:
Floor Layout:

Side View:

Isometric View:

Isometric from inside:

Screen Wall from 1st Row:

HT Construction:

Empty Lot: 2.01 Acres just off Lake Weatherford with city water and sewer.

Custom Floor Plan: Theater is labeled "Game Room" is is 26' X 16' 3" X 10; before stage/riser/and ceiling soffit. Finished room is ~ 3850 cubic feet. House is 3300sqft on one level.

Foundation being poured:

Framed with Windows:

Stage and Ceiling Soffit: Window only exists in case we have to sell the house, room is pitch black with the lights off after covering the widow with blackout material, filling the inside with foam insulation, and 2" of Roxul over the top.

Seating Riser Framed:

Stage in Foreground, riser and equipment cubby in the back, Drywalled:

Finished House Just after Completion:

Shortly after finishing the house and before we could do any work on the theater life interjected by the birth of our first child on 04/05, Colton. After just a few short weeks I can't imagine life without him! He grew up in the womb with explosions and gun shots at -10db and putting on a movie now actually puts him to sleep. Here he is about 45min after birth.

Once we got moved in the first few things we noticed with the theater were that it was too hot and that it had terrible echo being sealed with 5 hard bare walls. We had the A/C company adjust the damper to the room and installed a hugger ceiling fan (painted flat black of course). The room is now perfect and stays cool enough, with three people at least, in the TX heat. The first step in taming the acoustics was installing 2" of Roxul RHT60 on the front and side walls behind where the false wall will be positioned. I attached the insulation with 3" screws with washers around the heads to increase pinch surface area. While the room was still too live after this first step we did notice a improvement in dialog clarity and the LCR's all required some boost to balance the system. This picture is purposely overexposed, the ceiling is the darkest shade of black PPG makes, don't remember the name, and the walls are a dark grey, they come off almost blueish grey in real life.

After insulating the front wall I contacted GIK acoustics about room treatments. My goal was to get the room functionally (but not aesthetically) finished before installing the projector. Bryan at GIK was very helpful and I ended up with a setup very similar to my Erskine spec but with a couple modifications. We put full length soffit base traps in the front corner and went with 4" thick panels on the back wall. Hanging the panels was very easy but I'm not sure I'll use the picture hanger wire method permanently; I think I'd like to go to a more secure method that is a bit more child proof. Right now I have the panels at spec'd height which works very well with my current speaker heights. Eventually I plan on having the tweeters of the LCR speakers at mid screen height so as of now the plan is to move all the panels up ~10" when that change is made. The acoustic treatments made a big difference in this room. There is still a bit of liveliness to the room, it's not completely dead, but it very controlled and sounds very good. In fact when the baby is having a melt down we typically take him to the theater because it's easier on the ears than our still barren walls in the main living areas. Treatments allowed me to actually hear my sound system for the first time; I can now tell the voicing difference between the RSC200 and the RS1000's and it's driving me nuts. The treatments were a huge improvement to the room but they are also a curse that has spawned some serious upgrade-itus! In this picture we just finished hanging a $53 120" wide 2.35 DIY temporary screen made from 1X3's and blackout material from a fabric store. It's far from perfect, the top and bottom bow and it's hung from the ceiling by zip ties, but it is smooth and throws a great picture. It will definitely do the job for a couple months before we get our permeant screen installed. This shot also shows probably the only two row, but only 3 person HT out there! (Seating comes last)

Centered Shot with Flash:

I got a JVC X30 from Lee Weber here on AVS for a great price and once it arrived I couldn't stand looking at it in the box. I was still waiting on my ceiling mount to come in so I did the stupid thing that had to be done. I put it on a $30 camping table where the 2nd row will be and ran the cords at perfect tripping height back to the component closet. (spoiler..no damage ever occurred, projector never hit the ground) The projector throws a amazing image right out of the box and is plenty bright for the 137" equivalent 2.35 setup with a 1.0 at most gain screen. We watch all our movies in complete darkness and if anything I probably need to stop down the iris on the projector at this point. Watching a 10' wide image was the first time I've ever felt that I was watching a movie in my home and not just watching a movie on a TV, its hard to explain but I am much more immersed now and after a few days the size just feels right, not too big like my wife was worried about. Here is a shot showing the temporary projector table and my temporary 2.5 degree angle up center stand made from 2X4's. I used Acoustimac's DMD fabric to cover the insulation on the back wall in preparation for the AT screen. I'm impressed with the fabric and intend to use it on the false wall as well.

Finally got the projector mounted. The chief mount attaches to a set of 2X4's that cross two joists in the ceiling. In the room all you see is the extension pole come out of the ceiling. I like the setup so far and haven't noticed any base shaking. I have the projector mounted about as close as it can be for the required image size and about as high as it can be with the JVC's 80 degree vertical shift. I'm impressed by the projectors quietness and enjoying having it well above head height when standing on the ceiling riser. The fan causes no light interfere and is essentially silent, like the JVC. I also took left over AT fabric and made a skirt for the temporary screen, I really like not being able to see the center channel and the subwoofer, i can only imagine how good it's going to be with the center behind the screen and the false wall hiding the mains! The projector table is much more at home as in tables! This is the current state of the theater, next project is building the false wall for the mains, I won't be building the screen portion of the false wall until the permeant screen arrives.

Lots and lots of work to do before "finishing"! It's been a great process so far and a very enjoyable weekends project.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 06-10-2012, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter

Reserved.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 22 Old 09-05-2012, 08:57 AM
FOH
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Nice room, room size and relative dimensions.

Thanks for sharing, I'll keep checking in.

Good luck

------------------------------------
Flat, Deep, Clean, Linear, and Loud
------------------------------------
Active 16.8kw, 7.3 system
(3)Seaton Cat12C up front, (4)QSC K8 sides/rears
(2)Seaton SubM-HP, (4)18" IB
post #4 of 22 Old 09-05-2012, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Very clean lines and look. Very nice.

I have a home in the design phase to be built early next year. The plan calls for a 26X16 theater build. Unfortunately, I am limited to an 8' basement (thanks, FEMA). I have done several renders; I still have a hard time visualizing that size space. Your photos really help. Thanks for posting them.

If it's not a hassle, could you post a pic of the rear wall taken from the stage? That would be awesome. Also, how far back are you mounting the JVC for the 125" Seymour?

Thanks,

Willie
post #5 of 22 Old 09-27-2012, 07:53 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi Brady,
Just clicked on the link to your HT/Home build. That looks fantastic. My dream is to one day build a dedicated HT room from the foundation up. I have the architectural plans for a new home, just need to find a suitable plot of land or a tear down in the Dallas area. At the moment I have adapted an oversized 2nd bedroom on the ground floor into a media room. Not ideal but it will suffice for the time being.
Can't wait to hear the new JTR's in that space and talk about some of the special treatments you designed into the build.
Look forward to meeting you.
Haydn
post #6 of 22 Old 09-28-2012, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie View Post

Very clean lines and look. Very nice.
I have a home in the design phase to be built early next year. The plan calls for a 26X16 theater build. Unfortunately, I am limited to an 8' basement (thanks, FEMA). I have done several renders; I still have a hard time visualizing that size space. Your photos really help. Thanks for posting them.
If it's not a hassle, could you post a pic of the rear wall taken from the stage? That would be awesome. Also, how far back are you mounting the JVC for the 125" Seymour?
Thanks,
Willie

The projector is ~ 15.5ft back from the screen. The largest zoom size I use is 125" wide 2.40 image which is about all the zoom the projector has at that distance. Running the projector as close as possible was important for maximum light output on such a large 1.78 equivalent image. I've really enjoyed the image so far and is plenty bright in film mode (low lamp) at least so far (~50-75hrs on the projector)

Here is a picture of the back of the theater, pardon the mess! The acoustic panels are not in their final locations yet, they will be 11" higher later this week, and the panels in the back left of this picture are not attached to the wall yet.

post #7 of 22 Old 09-28-2012, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter

Last week was like Christmas in September! My 125" wide 2.07 Seymour AV screen, Middle Atlantic AV rack, extra Fidelio velvet and extra black DMD fabric all showed up. Here is a shot of the room in "so torn apart we can't watch movies anymore" mode. The screen is still boxed near the stage and the rack is still in 13 boxes on the far left side.

For the screen wall I used all 2X4 construction and even going as minimalistic as possible I still ended up with a pretty bomb proof wall. Only two main vertical supports were used. I used 2X4's to frame the screen so that the outside edge of the screen is hitting the middle of each board, I'll post more on the reason for that after this weekend. Here is a photo of the main screen wall.

And a Photo of the jerry rig center speaker setup. The main stand is a $19 work table (spray painted black) from Northern Tool that's rated for 1000lbs. The LCR as well as the S2 will all be on these stands behind the false wall. This photo also shows the one panel I moved to the final height (+11in). The reason for the change is that the original speakers, RS1000's, are standing on the stage and the new speakers, Triple 12HT's will be positioned so that the coaxial CD will be exactly half way up the screen vertically. This makes the CD's of the 12's higher than the top of the panels in their original configuration. The assembled screen is in the foreground.

Screen review next and AV rack build report to follow that...

post #8 of 22 Old 09-30-2012, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter

When I got the Seymour screen I liked the incredible blackness of the Fidelio velvet so much that I ordered 20 linear feet of it from Chris to finish out the screen wall and the "side walls" around the L/R speakers. I have quite a few different "black" items in my theater and the Fidelio makes them all look grey! Here is a shot of a Fidelio CIW panel on top of a G.I.K. sound panel, also in black, at close range with a flash.

When the lights are off and the movie is playing the velvet is a black hole, there is absolutely no sense of space to anything that it is attached to. Here is another photo of the beginning of the process of covering the screen wall. Flat black paint ceiling, GIK bass traps and acoustimac black DMD fabric on the back wall for light absorption comparisons.

I originally built a frame on the wall for the screen to rest on. The outer edge of the screen was designed to hit exactly half way across a flat 2X4. With that setup I was able to take 2X2's and wrap the velvet across two sides, screw the 2X2's into the ceiling/stage and then just staple to the screen 2X4 framing. This allows the velvet to be seamless to the ceiling and to the carpet and naturally flow underneath the frame of the screen.

In the photo below you are looking from behind the screen wall up at the upper left corner of the wall. You can see the standard wall construction as well as the flat 2X4 screen frame that is attached to the wall across the bottom left hand side of the picture. The 2X2 is unpainted and had the velvet pre-stapled to the top edge before attaching to the ceiling. Since the 2X2 and the 2X4 are the same width I was able to just staple the velvet to the 2X4 screen frame for a nice flat finish.

Here is a photo of the wall before hanging the screen with the flash on. Without a camera flash you cannot tell the difference in fabric nap between the horizontal and vertical strips. The AT walls that will hide the L/R will come into the center of the wall a few inches from the outsides of this picture, that will hide the imperfections on the bottom corners that the flash really seems to show off.

Here is a shot of the finished wall with the screen re-hung. I had to bend the hangman's brackets out a bit to work with the new velvet frame backing. When sitting in the room you cannot tell where the frame ends and the wall begins, it is a true floating screen and I'm extremely pleased with the way it turned out!

I like the "looking into space" effect the velvet creates in the room but it is so dark that my flat black ceiling is now a distraction with light reflection.

I may build a "ceiling panel" of Fidelio velvet that will cover all of the soffit ceiling right in front of the screen. I also learned in this process that the left side of my screen is 0.5cm lower than the right. I noticed it with when resizing the projector image and now I'm comtiplating either just adjusting the projector mount or fixing the screen, I imagine the OCD will take over and I'll need to remount the hangman bracket for the left side...it's always something!

post #9 of 22 Old 10-04-2012, 02:59 AM - Thread Starter

One of the nagging issues we had with the theater was the AV nook/closet. We had our builder put in some MDF shelving and originally we fully intended on the shelving functioning as the permanent home for our AV equipment. A lifestyle of moving 10 times in 10 years across six different cities and two states had left my "give a crap" meeter dangerously low when it came to setting up the equipment and making the wiring look pretty. Believe it or not this was the actual working condition of our AV nook before I had a intervention with it a couple weeks back.

A quick viewing guide so that you don't miss the finer points of this catastrophe:
  • Three layers of equipment staked directly on top of each other
  • 2X4's make great leveling devices
  • The Xbox isn't actually connected to anything
  • I'm not sure what the weight limit is for MDF across that type of span but the Onkyo 805 is well well over it!
  • My interconnects didn't quite reach the Outlaw 7125 on the bottom so I just didn't hook it up (I don't truly "need" it till I get the 9.2 setup anyway right!?)
  • Network Modem/Router is just leaning against the amp, seemed like a good enough spot
  • ~382.326ft of in wall speaker wire loosely organized on the floor.
  • High end surround back speaker and stand consisting of a dvd rack leaned against the back wall.

The teardown. Ripped the shelving and segmented trim out of the nook. Painted the walls and installed new trim (not accomplished in this photo)

And the final result. We chose to go with a 37U Middle Atlantic slim 5 rack with two 4 point shelves for the receiver/amp and eight 2u shelves for the rest of the equipment. I'm quite happy with everything about the rack, the quality is great and assembly had no unexpected surprises. Some racks come pre assembled but going this route the rack showed up in 13 different boxes! Looked impressive in the garage at least. The empty shelf is for the Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0 that I am anxiously awaiting (4 weeks + delivery time currently). I think it turned out pretty decent though it took much longer to wire it "semi pretty" than I anticipated. Overall it took a area a shame in the theater and turned it into something I feel pride towards every time I see it as we are leaving the room.

The Front:

The Back:

Slight closer with no flash

post #10 of 22 Old 10-04-2012, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 45
That is a pretty significant improvement! Well done. Is that rack 20" deep?

post #11 of 22 Old 10-06-2012, 07:18 AM
Señor Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Very nice Brady. I made the mistake of building my equipment rack into the AV closet. Mine is functional but doesn't look as clean as yours. Are you getting HT seating? Powered reclining chairs is a must in that beautiful room.smile.gif

"Well, la di fricken da."!
post #12 of 22 Old 10-06-2012, 08:07 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Nice build. Are those platinum studio 3 speakers?
post #13 of 22 Old 10-06-2012, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the kind words guys.

Questions:
"Is that rack 20" deep?" Yes the Slim 5 is 20in deep, it fits my largest components, the Onkyo 805 and Outlaw 7125 with room to spare.

"Are you getting HT seating?" We have the front row on order. We are doing a extra wide loveseat with individual seats on both sides. Custom made to fit our width restrictions (124" max) on the first row. Decided to keep it local and went with United Leather which is manufactured in Dallas. We chose the Penthouse line, in black leather, which was our favorite combination of support and comfort. Seats Link The current plan is to keep the sofa where it is now on the second row and move the loveseat which is on the front row to the very back on riser blocks as an ad hoc 3rd row. We chose not to upgrade the second row at this time because we prefer the front row and 90% of the time it's just the two/three of us watching movies...so we are taking care of ourselves and the guests will just have to suffer through our abnormally comfortable worn out super lounge sofa's. After another kido or two I imagine we may migrate towards the second row as our primary seats and we may upgrade the couch to some type of super sectional lounger family monstrosity and do away with the 3rd row.

"Are those platinum studio 3 speakers?" No, those "were" AV123 Rocket RS1000's for L/R, RSC200 center and RSS300 surrounds. My JTR's arrived in town on Friday but the freight company wasn't going to deliver them until next week. I couldn't stand missing a weekend of physical labor so I went and picked them up myself.

Here is one teaser of the Triple 12HT center when I was aligning it with the center of the screen and a Captivator S2 next to it.

I'll post more pictures and impressions soon. The step up from super entry level to the AV123 speakers 6 years ago wasn't any more significant than the upgrade from AV123 to full JTR gear; both upgrades were significant enough to shift paradigms as to what is possible in the home environment.

I told my wife today after watching transformers (1st full movie on the JTR's) that after being around HT for 15yrs every previous screening was just watching a movie at home, but today it was watching a movie. The SQ improvement allows you to get lost in the movie, the JTR's have no sound of their own, all you hear is the movie. I feel like the gap between home theater and commercial theater has been significantly blurred now that dynamic reference quality audio graces the room and the 500 radial feet surrounding it! biggrin.gif

post #14 of 22 Old 10-10-2012, 06:02 AM - Thread Starter

JTR's in the house!

Old meet new. RS1000 next to a Triple 12HT

Triple 12HT's LCR with Captivator S2 Sub. It was "difficult" for my wife and I to get the S2 up on the stand but we managed with a good effort and I love having the bass coming from the same plane as the screen. I'll dig through my screen shots but elevating the sub also seems to have helped with a null I was having around 80hz in the front row.

Another shot of the front wall with scale perspective, I'm 5'10" for reference.

Side and Rear Surrounds with the DD-15. There are two rows of side surrounds with the rear set delayed by the distance between the rows and overall levels with both playing set to 75db. I've been happy with the result but haven't spent much time with the setup yet.

I built the speaker false walls with 2X2's using staples to hold the pieces in place before finalizing with wood screws.

False wall just before its coat of Valspar flat black spray paint...I must be on some type of national paint huffers database because I've gone through about 10 cans of the stuff the past few weeks!

Looking back at the surrounds and rear sub. We are going to try to make an ad hoc 3rd row out of the loveseat after our theater chairs show up so I may have to rearrange how the bass traps in the back are laid out based on space availability.

Front Wall Finished. It's now a "sleeper" wall since can't see the firepower that lies behind it!!! biggrin.gif

I haven't spent near enough time with the new speakers to give my full review yet, we've only watched 1.5 movies (yes decimals count when you have an infant!) and listened to some music so far but I am more than satisfied with the purchase and am extremely impressed.

The highest praise I can give the JTR's is that every home theater I've ever had demo'd to me, regardless of how good it sounded, always sounded like a home theater. I couldn't ever put a word on it before now but I think the term is "effort"; when you crank the knob on a standard HT it gets louder but you can tell there is effort behind it. With the full JTR setup my HT has gone from sounding like a HT with effort to sounding just like a commercial theater, only with much better bass and cleaner overall sound. The dynamics, swells in the sound tracks and just pure raw effortless energy they put into the room has increased the immersion and "being there" factor a 100%. You can't really describe what effort sounds like until you hear effortless; I give high fidelity, high sensitivity speakers my highest recommendation for anyone looking to build a HT. They are a total game changer.

Oh yeah the S2 can make soup out of your internal organs, can make you feel like a mule kicked you in chest and may cause damage to my house, will report back later after more "testing"!

post #15 of 22 Old 10-10-2012, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Great looking theatre, Brady! That wall color is SO close to the color in mine that I keep seeing my own space when I look at your photos. Weird.

Congratulations on the speaker upgrade. I bet that room ROCKS!

I was wondering if you had considered painting the rear door. I have a closet door in the back of my room that is white like yours and I'm not sure what to do with it.

post #16 of 22 Old 10-11-2012, 07:53 AM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brady84 View Post

JTR's in the house!
Old meet new. RS1000 next to a Triple 12HT

Triple 12HT's LCR with Captivator S2 Sub. It was "difficult" for my wife and I to get the S2 up on the stand but we managed with a good effort and I love having the bass coming from the same plane as the screen. I'll dig through my screen shots but elevating the sub also seems to have helped with a null I was having around 80hz in the front row.

Another shot of the front wall with scale perspective, I'm 5'10" for reference.

Side and Rear Surrounds with the DD-15. There are two rows of side surrounds with the rear set delayed by the distance between the rows and overall levels with both playing set to 75db. I've been happy with the result but haven't spent much time with the setup yet.

I built the speaker false walls with 2X2's using staples to hold the pieces in place before finalizing with wood screws.

False wall just before its coat of Valspar flat black spray paint...I must be on some type of national paint huffers database because I've gone through about 10 cans of the stuff the past few weeks!

Looking back at the surrounds and rear sub. We are going to try to make an ad hoc 3rd row out of the loveseat after our theater chairs show up so I may have to rearrange how the bass traps in the back are laid out based on space availability.

Front Wall Finished. It's now a "sleeper" wall since can't see the firepower that lies behind it!!! biggrin.gif

I haven't spent near enough time with the new speakers to give my full review yet, we've only watched 1.5 movies (yes decimals count when you have an infant!) and listened to some music so far but I am more than satisfied with the purchase and am extremely impressed.
The highest praise I can give the JTR's is that every home theater I've ever had demo'd to me, regardless of how good it sounded, always sounded like a home theater. I couldn't ever put a word on it before now but I think the term is "effort"; when you crank the knob on a standard HT it gets louder but you can tell there is effort behind it. With the full JTR setup my HT has gone from sounding like a HT with effort to sounding just like a commercial theater, only with much better bass and cleaner overall sound. The dynamics, swells in the sound tracks and just pure raw effortless energy they put into the room has increased the immersion and "being there" factor a 100%. You can't really describe what effort sounds like until you hear effortless; I give high fidelity, high sensitivity speakers my highest recommendation for anyone looking to build a HT. They are a total game changer.
Oh yeah the S2 can make soup out of your internal organs, can make you feel like a mule kicked you in chest and may cause damage to my house, will report back later after more "testing"!

That is a pretty darn good summation of the effect of a really good HT sound system. A satisfied ear to ear grin is the result. smile.gifcool.gif

post #17 of 22 Old 10-11-2012, 07:11 PM

Liked: 15
Very nice!

Those Triple12's are huge!

I suspect you are going to have some issues with your sub moving your screen if you keep it directly behind the screen as shown. Hope not if that is where you really want it.

I concur with your observations on the JTR's.

I have the Triple 8's for fronts and Triad Inwall Silver/4 Surrounds, and a Danley DTS-10 and am hearing content in movies I never knew was there before. Those JTR's are fantastic!

post #18 of 22 Old 10-12-2012, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter

I have not observed any screen movement during bass heavy movie scenes so far. (but I haven't tried Flight of the Phoenix yet either)

What the pictures don't show is that the sub is a solid 12" or so behind the screen, not right up next to it. If it was a vented captivator I think I would definitely have problems.

I downloaded "Bass, I love You" from iTunes and whatever frequency that song goes to definitely shakes the screen, however It may be shaking the entire screen wall and/or room as well, I haven't spent much time looking into it. In normal movie and music use so far I haven't noticed a problem.

post #19 of 22 Old 10-12-2012, 06:48 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:

I have not observed any screen movement during bass heavy movie scenes so far. (but I haven't tried Flight of the Phoenix yet either)
What the pictures don't show is that the sub is a solid 12" or so behind the screen, not right up next to it. If it was a vented captivator I think I would definitely have problems.
I downloaded "Bass, I love You" from iTunes and whatever frequency that song goes to definitely shakes the screen, however It may be shaking the entire screen wall and/or room as well, I haven't spent much time looking into it. In normal movie and music use so far I haven't noticed a problem.

Great!

You have a space to be proud of there.

Enjoy it!

post #20 of 22 Old 10-13-2012, 09:52 AM
Señor Member

Quote:

I wouldn't worry about it. One thing I noticed is that with the projector off and the screen side-lit with natural light, I could see the bass waves radiating across the screen (like throwing a rock into a still pond). This was most noticeable in the WOTW pod emerges scene. I have wanted to get a video of that and I may do it.

In general, when things start rockin in a movie the last thing you notice is screen shake ... biggrin.gif

post #21 of 22 Old 11-09-2012, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter

Not much new to report other than the arrival of our front row seating. We chose the Penthouse line from United Leather USA; they are a no nonsense styled seat that is still very comfortable, we sat in many styles from multiple mfg's and the Penthouse was love at first sit. They are hand built in Dallas and their quality is top notch. We went with a love-seat in the middle and chairs on either side. Due to our builder insisting the riser be built to code the stairs on either side are 3ft wide leaving only 124.5 inches of width for the front row. The Penthouse setup with the extra wide love-seat was slightly too wide but they were able to make it to a custom 122" wide configuration and it fits perfect!

Next items on the list are to move the acoustic panels up for the back half of the room and start making the arched columns to cover the speakers. I wasn't certain we were going to stay with the arched gothic theme but since my wife already ordered blankets with "Lakeway Gothic" monogramed on them it looks like that's the way we are going!

post #22 of 22 Old 02-04-2013, 10:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Damn this looks like a good build. With the Neosis out, have you had any ambitions to upgrade your T12s to them? It seems like a few, if not a lot, of T12 owners are going to the Neosis! Also hows the velodyne keeping up with the s2? Do you plan to stick with just 2 subs or eventually 4 down the road?

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page