Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 06-12-2012, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hey guys,

How can I check that I do have an indep., 20amp circuit installed for my "equipment closet" ? That is what I had specified for the electrical work in my basement, not sure the exact terms, I would have to look at the paperwork, whcih I don't have with me.

I think the electrician screwed it up because (a) he messed up a bunch of other things (he's a real idiot poor guy) and (b) when burner, a/c stuff starts it creates a sound/hum on my system, very weird. On the latter it looks like (but careful I am no electrician) the electrical draws caused by the heat system has a sudden, brief impact on the audio of the system ...

Also, if I use an amp with my Denon 3810, it introduces a hum. I suspect this might be due to the receiver. The receiver using only its own amps is absolutely silent. The amp is a Cinemax 5.

(btw, I was never able to tell a diff in SQ between with and w/o the external amp, stupidiest money ever spent !)

Any hints pls ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-12-2012, 04:33 PM

Liked: 14
Buy a plug-in tester (or just use a lamp), kill the breaker for the dedicated run, and start plugging your tester/lamp into all the outlets. If you find a dead one not in the closet (but it works when you kick the breaker back on), it's not a dedicated line.

If your HVAC/microwave/hot tub/whatever loses power when you throw the breaker then you've got some serious issues. biggrin.gif

I believe hums are usually related to bad grounds but I've never had the experience and therefore the need to troubleshoot that one.
post #3 of 4 Old 10-09-2012, 01:33 PM

Liked: 10
Humming is almost always caused by a grounding problem. It could either be on that particular circuit or it could be the main ground. Using a plug in circuit tester may help identify the problem. If that doesn't help you may have to check for an improper or unbalanced ground problem, that would best addressed by a good licensed electrician. Let us know what you find.
post #4 of 4 Old 10-09-2012, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 254
+1 to all above.

Also, if your electrician is as bad as you say, I'd turn on all of my lights before I turned the breaker in question off.

Also, it's not uncommon to have a voltage dip when your HVAC or some other large appliance turns on. You might notice your lights flicker for a brief moment or something similar.

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

The Plains Theater Has Begun
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page