What sub to build for small TV room? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 06-14-2012, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
New guy here,

Show me the plans, parts, and where to get them and I can build it. I’m clueless about all the technical jargon—I just want a great sounding subwoofer for both movies and music that's suitable for my small basement room.

Existing Space:

This is the only viable area to locate a TV room in my basement. You’ll notice I’m not calling it a Theater or Cinema room. It’s barely bigger than a walk-in closet.

All walls are 2x4 framed and covered with drywall. "A" walls are framed against poured concrete walls. I don’t know if they have been insulated. "B" walls abut unfinished areas and don’t have insulation.

The room has a drop-ceiling and the area above is not insulated.

The floor is concrete and covered with commercial carpet with very little padding. It’s hard.

I’m considering installing a door and wall by the stairs to seal off the room.

I’d like to duplicate Brad Horstkotte’s GoM wall panels and possibly the speaker columns too.

I’ll be using some vintage Definitive Technology speakers I bought back in '92. I hope they still work. They haven’t been used in quite a while.
(2) BP 20
(2) BP 2
(1) C 1

I’ll run these speakers with a Yamaha RX-V773WA.

So the question is:

What subwoofer configuration will complement my room and existing sound system? I want the best bang for my buck without too much overkill.

The space beneath the TV for subwoofer placement is: 10' wide, 13" tall and 22" deep.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 06-14-2012, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter

Why aren't my pictures being displayed?
post #3 of 12 Old 06-14-2012, 03:02 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
BEcause you attached them. Use the "Image" Icon instead of "Attach" Icon. As for subs; I would recommend "Epik Legend" for $499 but I think they charge around $80 for shipping; dimensions 18 H x 15 W x 20 D, or "SVS SB-12 NSD" for $649 with free shipping; dimensions 15 H x 14 W x 14 D. Those subs are mid class subs; excellent for what you want. If you want cheaper subs then sometimes Newegg put a Klipsh 12" subs for $299.
post #4 of 12 Old 06-14-2012, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by javygonx View Post

BEcause you attached them. Use the "Image" Icon instead of "Attach" Icon. .

Oops. Thanks Javygonx. Problem corrected.

I mentioned that plans are needed because I intend to build the sub and want to place it under the TV and main speakers. To fit in that area it must be 13" or less in height.

I'm thinking a smaller THT LP would work.
post #5 of 12 Old 06-14-2012, 03:51 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Here is where you can look for ideas: http://usa.denon.com/US/Product/Pages/ProductDetail.aspx?PCatId=AVSolutions(DenonNA)&catalog=DenonNA_US&CatId=AVReceivers(DenonNA)&Pid=AVR2113CI(DenonNA)
The box shape does not make a whole lot of difference. it comes down to volume and port tuning (if ported). If you use a sealed design, you will not have to worry about high passing the LFE sent to the sub, but you would want an amp that has some low end bass boost. If you build a ported sub, then you will not need the low end bass boost, but you would need to protect the driver from frequencies below its tuning point, so that the driver does not exceed its x-mech. Subs are easy to build and the nice thing, is that you can build to fit the area that you have. If you need help with equipment selection, contact us.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #6 of 12 Old 06-14-2012, 03:53 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

Here is where you can look for ideas: http://usa.denon.com/US/Product/Pages/ProductDetail.aspx?PCatId=AVSolutions(DenonNA)&catalog=DenonNA_US&CatId=AVReceivers(DenonNA)&Pid=AVR2113CI(DenonNA)
The box shape does not make a whole lot of difference. it comes down to volume and port tuning (if ported). If you use a sealed design, you will not have to worry about high passing the LFE sent to the sub, but you would want an amp that has some low end bass boost. If you build a ported sub, then you will not need the low end bass boost, but you would need to protect the driver from frequencies below its tuning point, so that the driver does not exceed its x-mech. Subs are easy to build and the nice thing, is that you can build to fit the area that you have. If you need help with equipment selection, contact us.
You can get something like a Behringer MIC2200 to provide bass boost or cut for either type of sub. You can find these used, for reasonable prices. http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-BEHRINGER-MIC2200-2CH-TUBE-MIC-PRE-0514-107663541-i2518652.gc?&source=4WWRWXGB&cagpspn=pla&=

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #7 of 12 Old 06-14-2012, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mike,

Thanks for the links. I haven’t shopped for audio equipment in over twenty years.

If all else fails--I'll make one of these

And turn it into a coffee table.

post #8 of 12 Old 06-15-2012, 04:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Being a small room, I'd suggest two smaller subs for smoother bass.

Have you considered a projector and DIY acoustically transparent screen (and leave the tv upstairs)?

How many seats are you after?
post #9 of 12 Old 06-15-2012, 05:01 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 531
Pan head, if you haven't checked it out there is a section of the forum for DIY speakers, Also there are other forums on speaker building.

Anyway a forum member has organized a process to have flat pack cabinets cut for various sub drivers and sold at bargain prices this one may be of interest:

http://www.diysoundgroup.com/anarchy-th.html
post #10 of 12 Old 06-15-2012, 07:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mr. Big,

I was hoping you’d offer some suggestions.

I’ve looked at so many DIY forums that my head is spinning.

That “flat pack cabinets” idea is spot on but it occurred to me last night that I need to think “out of the box”. I have the option of moving the sub outside my little room. There’s no reason it can’t be located in another room as long as the port feeds into the listening area.

I’m talking about Bill Fizmaurice’s Tuba HT.

What do you think?

If that’s feasible, I’ll need to find an amp to run the Parts Express Dayton RSS390 HF4 driver that Bill Fizmaurice recommends for that enclosure.

I’ll be running a Yamaha RX-V773WA to drive my Definitive antiques and feed the new sub amp. The Yamaha is 7.2 channels.

I know the THT is massive overkill but since I already have three sheets of ¾" cabinet grade plywood that need to be put to good use—why not?
post #11 of 12 Old 06-15-2012, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 57
One issue with placing the THT outside the room as you mentioned is that subs can be fickle as far as placement - if you have a spare sub, or can borrow one, it would be a good idea to test the proposed location, just to make sure it doesn't happen to be the worst place in the room from a modal interaction (peaks, nulls) perspective. What is on the other side of that wall?

I have two THT LPs, behind my screen, and am very happy with them. And they were fun to build. Not as fun to move though. tongue.gif

Edit: oh, and looking forward to seeing your panels and columns, if you decide to go that direction.
post #12 of 12 Old 06-15-2012, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter

Hey Brad,

Kudos to the Master!

I guess it's going to happen. I just paid my buddy so he can order the TV and AV receiver.

Since I really have only two options for a concealed placement of the sub, I was hoping the massive output of the THT would compensate for inadequate room acoustics. Rattle my brain such that it won't matter where the sub is placed.eek.gif

You're right. The room is obviously an acoustic nightmare. I need to test the room with a sub before making one. Maybe I can get a loaner from a dealer. rolleyes.gif

The other side of the wall is a utility room with a free-standing shelf that I'll modify or move. Also, If I go with the THT I'd have to assemble it in the basement. A three-foot cube won't fit through doorways.

Tedd's suggestion for two subs makes more sense if I can find cabinet plans to accommodate 10 or 12" drivers. I'd still like to conceal one under the TV area and another built-in under the equipment cabinet due to my limited floor space.

I like the look of your panels but it looks like the room layout will only permit one column. I'll probably do some mockups to get a feel for what looks best.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page