Screen/Riser Height Issue - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 06-19-2012, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
FINALLY I'm joining the projector crowd. I've been reading and lurking for many, many, months researching to prepare for the projector install. Now that the install is only about a week away. I have a couple of questions that I can't seem to find an answer on...

First off let me provide some details so that you guys can help:

my room is a 20'x22 (I know, I know)
Projector is an Epson 8350 with 120" screen
Ceiling is 8ft
front row eyes will be approx 11ft
second row will be about 6 ft farther back

My current dilemma is that I'm wanting to have two rows of seating. Using the riser calculator, the required riser height when the bottom of the screen is 30" from the floor is 12". Now there isn't an issue with making a 12" riser, but with the front viewer's eye height at 36", the front viewers will be well below the 1/3 mark at the screen with the screen at that height. (the 1/3 point at the screen with the bottom 30" from the floor is 50"). Addressing this by lowering the screen adds the proportional height back into the riser. Since my ceiling is 8ft, I don't think a 20"+ riser is reasonable, much less a valid solution.

I don't want to move the second row back much further because I don't want to have to mount the projector farther than 18'(projector calculator suggests that would not give me the recommended brightness for the room with that screen size).

Now its completely possible that I have used the calculator wrong, but I haven't been able to find my error at this point.

Looking for suggestions to address this. I won't be able to do any layouts for another week, but I want to have a plan of attack so I can hit the ground running next week.

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 06-21-2012, 06:16 AM - Thread Starter

BUMP...
post #3 of 13 Old 06-21-2012, 06:55 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 620
1/3 is a guideline, my front row is below the 1/3 mark.

On riser height don't overlook the option of putting a 2-3 inch booster riser just under the base of the seats. That gives you the added seated height without taking away standing headroom.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PROJECTS:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 13 Old 06-21-2012, 07:07 AM
Advanced Member

My 2 cents...

You're going to have to compromise on something with 2 rows of seating, there's no way around it. Perfect setup would be 1 row of seating with the viewer's eyes at a height of 1/3 of the screen, but adding the second row requires adjustment for the best overall experience.

For that, I would keep the screen at 30" from the floor, and use the 12" riser. If you drop the screen lower so you have the ratio you want for the front row, your back row will most likely be looking down at the screen, making it uncomfortable to watch for extended periods. Looking slightly up from the front row (in my experience) is not an issue, especially if you have reclining seats that will slightly tilt your viewing angle when you sit back anyways.

I made a very similar compromise in my own theater with 2 rows. the screen is slightly higher than recommended, so front row viewer's eyes are also below the 1/3 mark. This puts my back row viewer's eyes almost directly center with the screen, which is perfectly comfortable (for me at least, to each his own).

Also, don't forget your speaker placement. You never mentioned what type of screen you have or speakers you're using, but going with a back row will require moving your LCRs higher than normal as well (and a center channel below the screen with 2 rows of seating is normally considered a no-no since you'll basically get no dialogue to the back row).

EDIT: I second what Big said about the booster for the rear row. I actually added different feet to my rear row recliners, which only added an inch or 2 of height, but it made just enough difference for my vertically challenged fiancé. wink.gif

post #5 of 13 Old 06-21-2012, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDvids4all View Post

My 2 cents...
You're going to have to compromise on something with 2 rows of seating, there's no way around it. Perfect setup would be 1 row of seating with the viewer's eyes at a height of 1/3 of the screen, but adding the second row requires adjustment for the best overall experience.
For that, I would keep the screen at 30" from the floor, and use the 12" riser. If you drop the screen lower so you have the ratio you want for the front row, your back row will most likely be looking down at the screen, making it uncomfortable to watch for extended periods. Looking slightly up from the front row (in my experience) is not an issue, especially if you have reclining seats that will slightly tilt your viewing angle when you sit back anyways.
I made a very similar compromise in my own theater with 2 rows. the screen is slightly higher than recommended, so front row viewer's eyes are also below the 1/3 mark. This puts my back row viewer's eyes almost directly center with the screen, which is perfectly comfortable (for me at least, to each his own).
Also, don't forget your speaker placement. You never mentioned what type of screen you have or speakers you're using, but going with a back row will require moving your LCRs higher than normal as well (and a center channel below the screen with 2 rows of seating is normally considered a no-no since you'll basically get no dialogue to the back row).
EDIT: I second what Big said about the booster for the rear row. I actually added different feet to my rear row recliners, which only added an inch or 2 of height, but it made just enough difference for my vertically challenged fiancé. wink.gif

The screen is from visual apex. Originally I was planning on mounting the center speaker above the screen to combat the issue you brought up, but I've read that isn't the best idea either. It would appear the "ideal" thing would be to put it behind, but obviously with the screen I have, I can't do that. Also, I don't think I would have the room in the wall to do so if the screen is flush with the wall.

Another question I have is if I did use a 12" rise plus the booster riser as BIG suggest, would it be ok to have the projector directly over the second row? I used the calculator at projector central (I think), and it recommends not mounting my projector any further back than 17' 11".
post #6 of 13 Old 06-21-2012, 11:38 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

You can't bang your head when the projector is over the seat due to the sitting motion. You will however be closer and may hear it.

PROJECTS:

post #7 of 13 Old 06-21-2012, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks BIG. BTW I've read through your HT thread. It's a masterpiece. I envy your skills.

Any suggestions regarding the center channel placement??
post #8 of 13 Old 06-21-2012, 05:13 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

as close to the bottom of the screen as possible. FYI I switched from a below screen to a behind screen configuration and I'm not going back.

PROJECTS:

post #9 of 13 Old 01-18-2013, 07:16 AM - Thread Starter

Revising my own thread, but with a new question....

Recently I completed building a riser for my second row of seating. Everything has worked out well. Now a friend of mine wants to purchase my screen from me. This would allow me to go up to a larger screen if I would like. However, the increase in size would require me to increase the riser height an additional 8". Has anyone built a riser booster that tall? This option would be far more effective if I could do it vs buying new seats with the height built in. I haven't carpeted the riser yet, so cosmetically I'm not worried about it.
post #10 of 13 Old 01-18-2013, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 100
I'm in the process of building a booster under the footprint of my back row. I originally thought I'd do a 2x4 frame on edge topped with 2 layers of 3/4" osb, giving me a total boost of 5". After mocking it up under 1 seat, I realized that was going to be too high. I'm 6'-5" and my legs dangled off the front of the seat without my feet touching the floor. I can only imagine how awkward it would be for regular size folks to get in and out of the chairs. I've decided on a 2x4 frame, but laid flat, and will still be topping it with 2 layers of 3/4" osb. This will give me a boost of 3".

For an additional 8" rise, you are really talking about a 3rd full-blown tier, not a booster. You would probably have to extend that 8" height in front of the seats and either live with a big step up off your existing riser or add an intermediate step to get up there. You won't be able to just add an 8" boost under the seats. People would have to leap up into them.

How did you end up losing 8" off your viewing angle. Are you going from 2.35 to 16:9?

Spaceman Theater Build

post #11 of 13 Old 01-18-2013, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman View Post

I'm in the process of building a booster under the footprint of my back row. I originally thought I'd do a 2x4 frame on edge topped with 2 layers of 3/4" osb, giving me a total boost of 5". After mocking it up under 1 seat, I,, realized that was going to be too high. I'm 6'-5" and my legs dangled off the front of the seat without my feet touching the floor. I can only imagine how awkward it would be for regular size folks to get in and out of the chairs. I've decided on a 2x4 frame, but laid flat, and will still be topping it with 2 layers of 3/4" osb. This will give me a boost of 3".

For an additional 8" rise, you are really talking about a 3rd full-blown tier, not a booster. You would probably have to extend that 8" height in front of the seats and either live with a big step up off your existing riser or add an intermediate step to get up there. You won't be able to just add an 8" boost under the seats. People would have to leap up into them.

How did you end up losing 8" off your viewing angle. Are you going from 2.35 to 16:9?

I was considering adding an additional 10 inches to the screen size ( in the diagonal). I might be able to bring the screen up slightly on the wall, but I will probably still need a 4" riser at best
post #12 of 13 Old 01-18-2013, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Do you have your seats yet? If so, it's easy to mock something up.

Spaceman Theater Build

post #13 of 13 Old 01-18-2013, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

I have the front row. I have actually taken one from the front and moved it behind the others to get some kind of idea, but I haven't tried putting anything under the seats yet.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page