Five to ten soundproofing tricks for a stand alone room... Help!? Please!!! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 21 Old 06-23-2012, 12:37 AM - Thread Starter

Location: Based in Salt Lake City, UT... but most of my work is done all over the USA and Canada. I cover all areas.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I have decided to move my indoor home office to a soon-to-be-built building where I hope to have less distractions from interruptions and noise.

Now, from what I have read on this forum... you are all soundproofing rooms within your homes. Is there much of a difference in trying to cut down sound getting into a stand alone room from the outside?

My contractor is great and willing to try some new things (and I keep telling him that with home theaters going into new homes.... he might want to read up on some of the techniques. But, he is great at what he does and slow to change things.

So, my questions for this group would be...

- What are 5 to 10 things that I could have this contractor do to cut out sound?
- Does anyone have leftover product (that might be suggested I use) that I could buy (at a great price)?
- I will have an AC unit in the room. SInce it needs to vent outside, what is the best way to soundproof that?

A little about the office.
* It will be roughly 11' deep by 17' long.
* There will be a 5' x 11' separate room (within the 11' x 17'). So, basically an 11' x 12' and an 11' x 5' room. The larger for the office and the smaller for a painting/testing room.
* It will be on a concrete slab.
* The back of the building will have concrete up about 4 feet (the area it will be built in is on a slope and the concrete will come up about 8" above the ground) at the back.
* There will be concrete on the sides, but it will step down with the slope of the hill and will end up at about 8" high in the front.
* He will then use 2" x 6" planks for the wall frames. I was thinking of having him use the staggered 2 x 4's on the frames. Good idea?
* I will have no windows in this building. I get distracted so easily that I want no sound or anything outside of a window to distract me. (Squirrel!!!!!)
* Solid entry door. Since I don't need as much soundproofing as a theater room, I will do just the one door, not double door.

OK, I hope that is enough information. I will continue to search the threads for ideas. I was just hoping to get 5 to 10 really important ideas in one place that I could show my contractor before he gets too far into the project. He is digging out the hole for the foundation tomorrow and also for the walkout basement door for my fathers apartment. So, anything I can get right away would be very appreciated.

Thanks you guys!!!!

Jeff
Night Sky Murals

Night Sky Murals

FaceBook
Hairs On Neck... Please Stand!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 06-23-2012, 01:16 AM - Thread Starter

Location: Based in Salt Lake City, UT... but most of my work is done all over the USA and Canada. I cover all areas.
OK.... something else that I just thought about, which may (probably will) show my ignorance on soundproofing. The sound that most of this forum is trying to stop from leaving the room is bass sound as well as other sound frequencies.

I am basically trying to keep kid sounds from getting in. And, at times, the sounds that the kids make in the back yard might reach the levels as a home theater on full blast. But, it won't be too often that sounds reach those levels. There might also be an occasional dog bark as well.

With that said, will I need those special clips to decouple the studs, or will staggered studs with insulation, plus double drywall and green glue be sufficient? How about really mean chickens in the back yard to that the kids won't want to play back there? I'd say a mean dog, but at least I might get eggs from the chickens.

Thoughts?

Jeff
Night Sky Murals

Night Sky Murals

FaceBook

post #3 of 21 Old 06-23-2012, 08:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Check out soundproofingcompany.com
post #4 of 21 Old 06-23-2012, 08:58 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 535
As you describe build the walls with 2x6 top and bottom plates. Then use 2x4s in a staggered stud configuration, Insulate the walls, Get the cheap clips from Ted and put clips and hat channel on the walls and ceiling. Hang a double layer of 5/8 drywall with Green Glue sandwich. Do three layers if you want overkill. If you are installing outlets or any other wall penetrations (recessed lights) build backer boxes or butter the backs with putty pads. You might be able to leave off the exterior sheathing and do this from the outside, may be tricky. Buy a solid core door and add perimeter seals on all four edges. Get the automatic door bottom seal from Ted. Add as many soft surfaces inside the room as possible.

What are you planning for HVAC?
post #5 of 21 Old 06-23-2012, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks... I'll read through that site too. The digging is going on even as I type. The backhoe is digging the footprint now. I'll need to read fast. Thanks again!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_B View Post

Night Sky Murals

FaceBook

post #6 of 21 Old 06-23-2012, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. I was thinking about most of what you mentioned... but am wondering if the clips and things are as important in the home office as they are in a theater? Will the sandwiched sheetrock not keep out enough of the normal outside sounds (and kids from time to time)?

Would the sandwiched sheetrock be as good on the outside walls, as on the inside? Or, what about sandwiched sheetrock on both sides?

Also, if I do multiple layers of sandwiched sheetrock, will I need a larger foundation than the 2 x 6 I am putting down now?

I'll look into the clips just in case the room won't be very soundproof without them.

Thanks for your answers. I need to get as much info as possible before he starts to build.

Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

As you describe build the walls with 2x6 top and bottom plates. Then use 2x4s in a staggered stud configuration, Insulate the walls, Get the cheap clips from Ted and put clips and hat channel on the walls and ceiling. Hang a double layer of 5/8 drywall with Green Glue sandwich. Do three layers if you want overkill. If you are installing outlets or any other wall penetrations (recessed lights) build backer boxes or butter the backs with putty pads. You might be able to leave off the exterior sheathing and do this from the outside, may be tricky. Buy a solid core door and add perimeter seals on all four edges. Get the automatic door bottom seal from Ted. Add as many soft surfaces inside the room as possible.
What are you planning for HVAC?

Night Sky Murals

FaceBook

post #7 of 21 Old 06-23-2012, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter

After looking everywhere for everywhere for where to get clips and things from TED.... I noticed that this was a link to his site. Thanks!

Jeff
Night Sky Murals
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_B View Post

Night Sky Murals

FaceBook

post #8 of 21 Old 06-23-2012, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 343
You should definitely look at your choice of windows - those will be a much weaker spot than the walls, even before you start adding mass/damping...

(I assume there's windows in this office? Or is this the night sky studio? smile.gif )

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #9 of 21 Old 06-23-2012, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter

No windows going in the office. Its going to be the eternal night sky office, unless I decide to turn on the lights. Besides really having a night sky in there to relax under when I need to... the no windows in it is mainly because I get distracted easily (ADD) and I want to be able to focus, focus, focus. I'm also considering an electric fence around it to keep my kids and wife from bugging me. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

You should definitely look at your choice of windows - those will be a much weaker spot than the walls, even before you start adding mass/damping...
(I assume there's windows in this office? Or is this the night sky studio? smile.gif )
Jeff

Night Sky Murals

FaceBook

post #10 of 21 Old 06-24-2012, 05:34 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

I would use two layers of OSB sheathing for the exterior side of the walls with green glue, I've been doing that on stage and risers and it works well.
post #11 of 21 Old 06-25-2012, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks "Big",,,

What size would you suggest.... 1/2, 5/8, or 3/4 for each piece?

Also, since we get snow out here.... is there anything secial we should wrap it in, or just whatever is normally done to exterior walls?

I also found a local supplier for Ted's clips and glue... and plan on dropping in today or tomorrow. We're doing the foundation today.

I may just have to add a projector and screen into this office. I'm thinking it could be a write-off. :-)

Jeff
Night Sky Murals

Quote:

I would use two layers of OSB sheathing for the exterior side of the walls with green glue, I've been doing that on stage and risers and it works well.

Night Sky Murals

FaceBook

post #12 of 21 Old 06-25-2012, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
We don't have a local supplier, FYI. I mention this because there are places that tell people they're an distributor for us, etc and are not, in fact.

Ted

The Soundproofing Company
post #13 of 21 Old 06-25-2012, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

I'm glad you said something. I thought I saw a local distributor on your site. OK, I'll call you in a little while.

Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted White View Post

We don't have a local supplier, FYI. I mention this because there are places that tell people they're an distributor for us, etc and are not, in fact.

Night Sky Murals

FaceBook

post #14 of 21 Old 06-25-2012, 12:59 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightSkyMurals View Post

Thanks "Big",,,
What size would you suggest.... 1/2, 5/8, or 3/4 for each piece?
Also, since we get snow out here.... is there anything secial we should wrap it in, or just whatever is normally done to exterior walls?
I also found a local supplier for Ted's clips and glue... and plan on dropping in today or tomorrow. We're doing the foundation today.
I may just have to add a projector and screen into this office. I'm thinking it could be a write-off. :-)
Jeff
Night Sky Murals

5/8. Yes on the building wrap of choice what ever is common in your region. I imagine if you paint the ceiling dark and paint a couple of white dots it becomes either a "showroom" or a test facility and is a Tax Write off.
post #15 of 21 Old 06-30-2012, 02:03 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks "Big"... you, and the others have helped. I called Ted the other day and he was super helpful. I can't say enough about our short conversation. He gave me great ideas (some of what you guys gave), but also told me that I really didn't need any of his products (after asking questions about my needs). That may seem not so important, but it was a big thing to me because it showed me that he was more interested in me getting what I really needed for my project, and not just pushing product.

I think that I have seen a lot of that on his forum. So again... thanks to those who have helped me with answers, and who are always willing to help others.

Now, back to figuring out all that can be written off in this home office. Maybe I should test home theater equipment since I paint so many theaters. A nice projector and sound system might be important. I think I should know just how the equipment reacts to the murals. Hmmmmm.....

Quote:

5/8. Yes on the building wrap of choice what ever is common in your region. I imagine if you paint the ceiling dark and paint a couple of white dots it becomes either a "showroom" or a test facility and is a Tax Write off.

Night Sky Murals

FaceBook

post #16 of 21 Old 06-30-2012, 03:21 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 45
Where exactly in SLC (you can PM the address). I am very familiar with SLC.

Dennis Erskine CFI, CFII, MEI
Architectural Acoustics
Subject Matter Expert
Certified Home Theater Designer
CEDIA Board of Directors
www.erskine-group.com
www.CinemaForte.net
post #17 of 21 Old 06-30-2012, 04:47 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 45
Thanks. I was born in Utah and lived in SLC for many years ... East High/UofU. In any case, I was interested from the aspect of your issues with outside distractions. There are areas within the SLC area where there are "excessive" traffic (bus), aircraft, train, and industrial noise. We've grown so used to them, we mentally ignore them. At least we ignore them until we are in a quiet space and those once ignored background noises become intrusive due to a lack of competition from the sounds you've eliminated through your isolation efforts.

****** is not on the primary approach and departure routes in/out of SLC international airport; however, you have South Salt Lake Airport (now South Valley Regional, formerly Salt Lake No 2) nearby. You may find that traffic overhead as well as being near one of the practice areas for flight students. If you stand outside and listen for those noises, we may need to think about dealing with them. (Once you get the local noise out of your office, you'll starting hearing stuff you've never heard before.) The rail lines to the West, may, or may not be an issue depending on your proximity to them.

Big, suggested using Green Glue between two layers of OSB for the outside sheathing of your office. Good idea ... I would also highly suggest you do that on your roof sheathing as well.

Good luck on your project.

EDIT: I had a chance to overlay FAA routes over a topo map, and you do have major air traffic corridors near you. If they are bothersome now, they will be more so later.

Dennis Erskine CFI, CFII, MEI
Architectural Acoustics
Subject Matter Expert
Certified Home Theater Designer
CEDIA Board of Directors
www.erskine-group.com
www.CinemaForte.net
post #18 of 21 Old 07-28-2012, 12:51 AM - Thread Starter

Hi everyone... I just wanted to update you all and give everyone a big Thank You for your suggestions on this home office build. I should be about a week away from completion (finger's crossed) but this thing is a beast!

After taking all of your suggestions, and those from Ted (who was very helpful)... I decided to go with 2" x 8" staggered stud walls with insulation in both sets of 2 x 4's. One sheet of OSB on the outside, with one sheet of OSB plus a sheet of 5/8" sheetrock on the inside. What we did for the roof (and there was some give and take with the contractor who is new to this) was to do a similar staggered stud ceiling (the flat section), stuff it with two sets of insulation and then put the roof joists on top of the ceiling, cover it with OSB (obviously) and then stuff the inside with as much insulation as we could stuff in there.

Oh, and the floor is concrete with 8 inch thick walls that come up about 15 inches on the inside.

Every seam has been caulked and so have the electrical boxes and the sheetrock has mud and tape on it.

Now, we just need to put in the soffit (Come on, if anyone needs a soffit, it me) for the black lights and LED rope lights, plus can lights. That should happen on Monday, then we will hang the solid, fiberglass, external door on it, then he'll texture and leave it for me to paint. Oh, and we need to put in a dead vent on the outside before he throws up concrete siding.

I didn't go all out with the clips and double outside walls, or green glue because, though I have noise here (and Dennis, you are correct... we are directly under a flight path).... what I have now should keep out all of the noise that I need kept out. I just need to put up an electric fence to keep the kids (and wife) out so that I can work... and answer emails, which I am months behind on.

Anyway, I have already tested the room out a little. I've had the kids go around the back of the building and yell at me, and I have at them. The only thing that we can hear is the sound that is leaving the door opening in the front and going around. So, for what I need, this is perfect. Actually, more than perfect. I appreciate everyones help!!!!!

Jeff

Night Sky Murals

FaceBook

post #19 of 21 Old 08-08-2012, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter

I just wanted to thank all of you who posted in this thread,.. and Ted for taking a good amount of time to talk me through some things on the phone. I'm heading to Wisconsin, then Los Angles to paint... and am hoping that by the time I return next week, the dead vent and primer will be completed.

My contractor, who fought me on staggered studs, loads of insulation and Sheetrock on top of OSB on the interior walls is now on board after seeing the results. First of all is how cool that room is (even though it gets the sun pounding it from sun up to sun down. But, even without the door hung... you can lready tell how much sound is kept out (and I didn't even use clips, chanels or green glue). Yesterday, we had my kids go around the back of he building (after the door was roughed in) and had them yell at us, right up against the wall. Nothing. Well, we actually did hear them slightly, but through the gaps that are still around the door. That's it! I can't wait to start working in there!

What's funny, is this contractor who kind of blew me off in the beginning is now talking about building similar walls around a room that he's building off his master bedroom. I've been trying to get him to Ted's site since we began, and onto this forum.... and he just asked me for the web addresses the other day on his own. I smiled inside. Hopefully, another contractor who I'll actually take the time to learn real techniques, instead of what he thought he learned in the past.

Thanks you guys!

I've tried uploading some pics, but they won't load

Night Sky Murals

FaceBook

post #20 of 21 Old 08-08-2012, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Sounds good!

Ted

The Soundproofing Company
post #21 of 21 Old 08-29-2012, 01:52 AM - Thread Starter

Again... thanks to everyone who gave me suggestions in my office build. It worked out great and I am in it right now typing this... and can't hear a thing outside. Of course, there isn't much noise at 3 AM in the morning, but even at 3 PM in the afternoon it is just as quiet.

Here is a link to the thread with pictures of the build...

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1426767/night-sky-murals-new-stand-alone-office-build-inspired-by-all-your-builds-thanks

Night Sky Murals

FaceBook

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page