Retrofit existing cabinet for 65" flat screen? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 07-01-2012, 06:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Currently I have a custom built cabinet that houses both my Samsung DLP and AV equipment. I will be upgrading to a Samsung 65" ES8000 once they are released but I have an issue/dilemma. The cabinet was built to house my current tabletop DLP and now I would like to mount my future flat screen and of course if I place the new flat screen inside the cabinet, the flat screen will be recessed and not flush with the front of the cabinet. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to retrofit my existing cabinet to accommodate the new flat screen? Also, the cabinet is a standalone and not built up against the wall so I can't install a bracket at the rear and attach to the wall, I must mount the flat screen inside the existing cabinet.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-01-2012, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Can you post a picture or two?

High Desert Theater - work in progress
Building Bass - Subs

Surrounds - Easy as Pi

Storage - unRAID unDELL

post #3 of 10 Old 07-01-2012, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter

Attached....640

post #4 of 10 Old 07-02-2012, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

I'd suggest putting in a cross rail that attaches to either side of the cabinet to support the flat panel mount. You could build it out of plywood and attach it with screws to the sides. If you painted it black it wouldn't be to visible back there. I'm assuming the flat panel is about the same size as your RPTV.

Building Bass - Subs

Surrounds - Easy as Pi

Storage - unRAID unDELL

post #5 of 10 Old 07-02-2012, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 78
What is the current TV on top of? Can you just use the factory "stand" from the TV and set it in much the same manner as the current TV? Unless that deal underneath it takes up more space than it looks like.
post #6 of 10 Old 07-02-2012, 08:57 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
The low-impact solution would be to use the stand that comes with the TV and just set the new TV on the shelf where the old one was. This assumes that your new set will come with a stand (my 65" Panny plasma did). The drawback would be that the screen would be recessed a few inches in the cabinet.

If the screen needs to be flush with the opening, then as petew and Woolly suggested, you will need to modify the cabinet to use a wall mount. I have a couple of suggestions: (1) Your cabinet modifications aren't providing a spot to attach a wall mount, they are providing structure to support the weight of the TV. Think about how the new structure will transfer the weight of the TV to the existing cabinet. A couple of screws driven into the sides might not be enough to support the weight of a 65" plasma. (2) How you go about adding structure to the cabinet may depend on what the cabinet is made out of. If the cabinet sides are 3/4" plywood, for example, you can probably trust that screws driven into the plywood from the inside of the cabinet will hold. If the cabinet sides are MDF or particle board, I would be concerned that screws driven into the cabinet sides might eventually fail under the weight of the TV. In that case, you might want to drive the screws from the outside of the cabinet, through the MDF and into the new structure. Or maybe add some PL construction adhesive and screw from the inside of the cabinet. (3) A 65" plasma mounted flush in the opening will significantly change the cabinet's center of gravity. It's going to be front-heavy and may be prone to tipping over. You might need to run a strap from the top of the cabinet to the wall to keep it stable.

Maker of the finest saw dust since 1980, give or take

MY Custom AV Cabinet with DIY Pull-Out and Rotate Rack
post #7 of 10 Old 07-02-2012, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by petew View Post

I'd suggest putting in a cross rail that attaches to either side of the cabinet to support the flat panel mount. You could build it out of plywood and attach it with screws to the sides. If you painted it black it wouldn't be to visible back there. I'm assuming the flat panel is about the same size as your RPTV.

Pete could you provide some more detail specific to a cross rail please? I have my cabinet guy coming by Thursday and I am going to suggest a cross rail system. The cabinet is built out of solid mahogany and the TV will be the Samsung ES8000 65".

Thanks
post #8 of 10 Old 07-02-2012, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTheGreat View Post

What is the current TV on top of? Can you just use the factory "stand" from the TV and set it in much the same manner as the current TV? Unless that deal underneath it takes up more space than it looks like.

If I use the stand that comes with the TV, the TV will be recessed in the cabinet and not flush which is not ideal.
post #9 of 10 Old 07-03-2012, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Your cabinet guy should be able to visualize how to build it. Download some details on an articulating flat panel mount for him and show him this picture.

Sorry I don't have a scanner or decent computer here to upload a sketch at the moment.

The earlier suggestion about anchoring the cabinet to the wall is a good idea. I'd run that by the cabinet guy too.

Building Bass - Subs

Surrounds - Easy as Pi

Storage - unRAID unDELL

post #10 of 10 Old 07-03-2012, 09:25 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Your cabinet guy will need to know the depth of the TV and the mount.

Maker of the finest saw dust since 1980, give or take

MY Custom AV Cabinet with DIY Pull-Out and Rotate Rack
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page