Advertisement

post #32 of 38 Old 07-10-2012, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holiday121 View Post

Did you end up getting the 3009 avr? I was recommended that as well for my setup but dont know much about it.. My room wont be complete until winter so I still got some time

No I resisted the scope creep (dont want it to turn into Windows Vista) and ordered Onkyo 818 and cancelled the order for additional two speakers. I am going with Audyssey wides for a 7.1 setup. Audyssey heights should technically be on the front wall anyway, and I don't have space for that.

I thought I was completely done but now that the horizontal vs. vertical center channel curve ball is thrown, I am looking at many more hours of lost productivity smile.gif

- Z

Building a budget HT that will look and perform anything but budget.
post #33 of 38 Old 07-10-2012, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 63
wides in 10.5' wide room might be blazing new trails.... I have zero experience there.
post #34 of 38 Old 07-10-2012, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedd View Post

wides in 10.5' wide room might be blazing new trails.... I have zero experience there.

Hehe, ya. Audyssey FAQ saws the distance doesn't matter, MultiEQ should correct it. If not then I can always move it to the traditional location. I've prewired for both.

post #35 of 38 Old 07-10-2012, 09:23 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedd View Post

Don't even think about a center channel stood vertically! eek.gif
+1 I agree that a speaker designed to be used horizontally should not be turned upright. The best thing to do here would be to use a 3rd speaker identical to the L & R speakers for a center speaker. I'm faced with a similar decision as I work on the design for my planned theater #3 -- I probably should sell off my JBL Array 880 center, and find another used Array 1400 for the center. But the Array 1400 is so deep it will require moving the screen wall out to about 3 feet, so I have to give up some room depth to do that. Life is difficult and stressful....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #36 of 38 Old 07-11-2012, 11:12 AM

Liked: 11
I'm just throwing this out there but it really may not be in your scope at this point after picking a direction. Feel free to ignore.

Would it be possible to run the duct work across the floor and up both sides of the room? You could then build the riser over that without loosing any space.

Good luck, I'm jealous - I'm renting a house with a unfinished basement that I'm dying to build out.
post #37 of 38 Old 08-14-2012, 09:27 AM

I must say that is one forum I have neglected for so long. I was on the main page when it recommeded this reading if considering a ht build. There is so much info and perspectives put here to help aid anyone on their journey. I have been planning and building my ht theater room for 3 years(yeah I am a little slow plus I can only do what funds allow me to) . But I understand the compromises greatly, originally I was going to close off my ht so I could have the great inclosed ht feeling. Plus it would give me a seperate area for a little bar area, then my wife pointed out that I wouldn't be happy with the bar area. So being this will be a place of gatherings and not so much a dedicated ht I decided to open the whole area up. Which gives me a much larger area to work with and only dealing with the fact that my speakers are a little to big for the area. But I can downsize easier then up sizeing. So now I do have room for a riser and second row. I have a quick question on that were do I want my surround side speakers in between the first and second row or right at the second row. I was going to build a matching set of surround speakers and place them in the celling angled down about 15 degrees, so we can take that into consideration.
Thanks
Oh yea if anyone is wondering the total size of the room is 14' x 32+/- 2' I will be using a sectional for the front row that will go all the way to one wall and leave space on the other for a walk way and maybe 3 theater like seats for the rear row so they will not be wall to wall.
post #38 of 38 Old 08-14-2012, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter

- room == done
- painting == done
- riser == done
- stage == done
- speakers == installed
- screen == installed

Waiting for the carpet guy and waiting to find some time to make fabric frames for the wall. Then it's rock n roll. Will share pictures when I get there.

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page