Screen does not sit flush with wall - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 07-03-2012, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
IMAG0270.jpg 388k .jpg file

Mounted my projector screen last night. I noticed that in the bottom right corner, the screen is probably an inch off the wall. I'm not sure if the screen is pulling itself off the wall or if the wall isn't plumb. I've had several posters in the room prior that didn't sit flush on the walls, but obviously the consequences of this were not relevant. What would be the best way to address this? Cut a single 2x4 for the one corner? secure the bottom of the screen to the wall somehow? Its harder to tell its off when standing in front, but the shadow from the light in the room gives it away. I haven't had a chance to fire up the projector, but I would imagine this would have some effect on the screen. The screen came from Visual Apex and I was only given brackets for the top of the screen to mount to.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0270.jpg (387.6 KB, 30 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2012, 10:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
If the screen doesn't end up being flat, you will get distortion in the projected image. If the wall is crooked and you pull the screen tight against the wall, the screen will be crooked and the image will be distorted. So the first thing to figure out is whether the screen is flat and the wall is crooked, or the wall is flat and the screen is crooked.

Pull the screen down and try holding it against other walls in the house. If you try two or three different placements and the screen doesn't lie flat in any of them, it's a pretty good sign that the screen is crooked.

If you want to check the wall directly, you could use a plumb line. Hang the line from the ceiling close to the wall at one end of the screen. When the line comes to rest, measure the distance from the wall to the line at the top and again at the bottom. Move the plumb line to the other end of the screen and repeat the measurements. If the wall is flat, the measurements should be more-or-less the same from one end of the screen to the other.

If the wall is crooked, you could remove some drywall and shim out the offending studs, then patch the drywall and repaint. A lot of work, but it would be fixed. If you don't want to tear into the drywall and you don't want to live with the shadow, you could try putting some black velvet on the wall around the screen. Chances are that would hide the shadow.

If the screen is crooked, you might be able to fix it by removing and retensioning the screen fabric.

Maker of the finest saw dust since 1980, give or take

MY Custom AV Cabinet with DIY Pull-Out and Rotate Rack
Old 07-03-2012, 11:17 AM

I have this problem with my home made BOC screen, the wood I used was bowed by pulling the BOC tight - since I didn't want to redo the whole thing, I use a small bracket/screw to pull the bottom right corner (funny it's the same corner as you) tight to the wall. Covered with felt you can't see the small bracket as it blends in with the wall.
Old 07-03-2012, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter

A friend and I took a closer look at it today at lunch. It appears that the wall in the center on the right side had some patch work done right in the center. we rolled the tubing that the screen came in along the wall, and you can clearly see where the wall bulges in the middle. At this point, I think a good possible solution would be to run a board at the top and the bottom of the wall. That should allow the screen to clear the hump in the middle of the wall, while keeping the screen "flush" and parallel to the projector lens.