Projector choices with a 27' throw distance and a 120-130" CIH image - Help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 07-09-2012, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I had posted this in the projector sub-forum, but since it's also a build question I was wondering if anyone in here knew of a projector choice for me. I am in the process of building out my second HT as part of a full basement build in our new home (prior was 7yrs ago and I am feeling my age this time wink.gif ) and am cabling right now. Ideally I would like to locate the PJ in the rear soffit (with correct ventilation of course).

This leads me to the concern over projector choice. The rear soffit will be 27' back from what will be my AT screen wall (likely a Seymour), obviously I could wire closer to the screen but since this is my second time around I want to create an amazing experience all around.

What good projectors under 5k exist that will get me this distance and a solid visual experience?

I wont be buying for another 6mths, but am I really limiting miself with this requirement? Should I just bite the bullet and wire for a ceiling mount in addition to the rear soffit?

Really appreciate people's input since this is a really critical time for the design, not to mention drywall is scheduled for 4weeks (feels like I have been working 2 FT jobs for the last 8weeks, but come this winter it will all be worthwhile) from now.

Thanks, Brett
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-09-2012, 06:30 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 508
27 ft for a 130 wide 2.35:1 screen CIH setup is a challenge. Let's do some math assuming you are going to use the zoom method (no additional lens) . at a 130 inch wide image you are at a throw ratio (distance divided by width) of 2.49, To narrow down the image to do 16:9 you will have to hit 98.3 inches. That is a throw ratio of 3.3. Check out some of the top sellers it is going to be hard to find. You will probably need to use a higher end model with a long throw lens option.

Here are some of the current offerings

Panny 1.35 to 2.7
JVC 1.4 to 2.8
Epson 1.34 to 2.87
Sony 1.39 to 2.11

Nothing over 3 and you need 3.3, you would probably need to look at projectors targeted for the commercial market like those set up in the back of a large conference room rather than those targeted for the home.

I'd wire for the ceiling option.
post #3 of 5 Old 07-09-2012, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Great reply Big, thank you. Your advice is well taken, and I shall adjust accordingly since my shortlist of three projectors all appeared in your list of four and I do not want to spend my speaker budget on a commercial projector. I finished the soffit framing tonight, so low voltage and electric starts in earnest tomorrow before business travel takes a bite out of my availability.

Thanks again!
post #4 of 5 Old 07-09-2012, 08:00 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Think along the lines of a Runco LS-HB. smile.gif

Shawn Byrne
Erskine Group
HAA Design Certified -THX Certified Professional

Design-Video & Audio Calibration Information

The original Pro Theater Layout
post #5 of 5 Old 07-10-2012, 04:33 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 508
Shawn the product sheet lists only the standard lens and an optional short throw lens. Is there something else either lens or another projector that will hit a throw ratio of 3.3? That one is certainly bright and I have it's cousin the LS-5 (actually the planar 8150).
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page