RobZ's Cozy Theater Room - Page 6 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

Old 06-11-2013, 05:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Here's a pic of the sconce

My Theater Room JVC RS4910, Panamorph UH480, 148 in. 2.40:1 Dalite HD Pro 1.3, Klipsch THX Ultra II's x 7, Quad JTR Captivator S1 subs
My Previous Non-Dedicated space
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2013, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

This evening I pulled out the lamp on my RS20 (original lamp with less than 800 hours) and cleaned the prism with a Lenspen and lens wipes. There was a fine coat of film covering the prism. I fired up the projector and instantly noticed the increase in light. Its always great when you can do an easy tweak and see results.

My Theater Room JVC RS4910, Panamorph UH480, 148 in. 2.40:1 Dalite HD Pro 1.3, Klipsch THX Ultra II's x 7, Quad JTR Captivator S1 subs
Old 06-19-2013, 03:29 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Beautiful space Rob - love the ceiling and grey color scheme. I plan on a similar palette.

Just how bad is the pincushioning, and what screen are you using? I'll be doing a 115" wide 2.35 through a Panamorph from approximately 10' back and expect a similar result. To partially compensate, I decided to go with a curved screen, but also know that its standard 40' radius will be insufficient to completely eliminate the problem.

Theater for Hobbits 1.0 - One of the smallest-ever (13' x 8' x 6'8") AVS builds!

Theater for Hobbits 2.0 - AVS HT of the Month - This time it's 2.35 CIH in a 10' x 10' alcove!

Old 06-19-2013, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowkarver View Post

Beautiful space Rob - love the ceiling and grey color scheme. I plan on a similar palette.

Just how bad is the pincushioning, and what screen are you using? I'll be doing a 115" wide 2.35 through a Panamorph from approximately 10' back and expect a similar result. To partially compensate, I decided to go with a curved screen, but also know that its standard 40' radius will be insufficient to completely eliminate the problem.

Thanks. I have the image zoomed out slightly to minimize the pincushioning but once the film is on I don't think twice about it. I'm not even considering a curved screen. For me, the visible pixels from being so close is more of a concern but I plan to upgrade soon. My lens to screen is barely more than yours and this is a 136" wide screen. I wouldn't decrease the size of my screen to reduce the pincushioning if given an option. The image is completely immersive.

On the subject of pixel visibility, I took the Darbee out of the chain because it started developing sync issues. Pixel visibility has decreased along with the perceived sharpness. I have an earlier version of the Darblet so it will go in for firmware upgrade under warranty.

Old 07-09-2013, 10:34 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 27
RobZ,

Can you let me know what model/brand carpet that is?
Old 07-09-2013, 11:17 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 36
You know you could pull those seals off your door and spray paint them and the screw heads dark brown so they don't stick out as much visually, right? Just an idea. I realize it would be additional work.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScAndal View Post

RobZ,

Can you let me know what model/brand carpet that is?

Its Martha Stewart Winterthur in black from Home Depot

Old 07-22-2013, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djkest View Post

You know you could pull those seals off your door and spray paint them and the screw heads dark brown so they don't stick out as much visually, right? Just an idea. I realize it would be additional work.

One of these days I'll get to the darkening of the details of the room. They don't stand out but I'll eventually get to them. I also need to paint the registers and return grill.

Old 03-03-2015, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I haven't done much to the theater but recently added more Soundsuede panels (ATS Acoustics). I also placed an order for a JVC RS4910 to replace my RS20. Now I'm on the hunt for a screen to replace the damaged 2.8 HP. I'm undecided whether to go standard 2.35:1 Stewart ST130 or something curved.

Old 03-24-2015, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Screen replacement on the way. I ordered a custom sized 2.40:1 (recommended by Panamorph: http://www.panamorph.com/wp-content/...YS_Manual1.pdf) screen:
Da-Lite 56.9 x 136.5 2.40:1 aspect HD Progressive 1.3 Gain Cinema Contour (basically a custom cut from the 148 in diagonal 2.35:1). So I will keep the 1:1 viewing distance:screen width.

The BASH amp on my Ultra gave out so I ordered a replacement 1000 watt DSP controlled Sledge along with a second SVS PB13 Ultra in piano black. Because SVS has a very good 45 day in-home trial I'm going to run this combo in a couple configurations (two beneath the screen and other will be one in front and one in back). I also have dual MBM-12's from Hsu but I'm probably going to get enough mid bass output from whichever dual sub system I opt for so these will likely go after all. If I decide I want "more" (than dual Ultras) I'm looking at the following options:

1.Dual JTR Captivator S2 (4 x 18's sealed)
2.Dual JTR Captivator 2400 (2 x 18's ported)
3.Dual Seaton Submersive HP master/slave (4 x 15's sealed)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Subwoofer SubM.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	205.4 KB
ID:	623065   Click image for larger version

Name:	subwoofer Captivator-S2-angle-mod.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	353.7 KB
ID:	623073   Click image for larger version

Name:	Subwoofer _2011Captivator2.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	623081  

Last edited by RobZ; 03-24-2015 at 06:53 PM.
Old 03-25-2015, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Always liked your room. Glad to see an update. Did the new JVC come in?
Wanting more than dual Ultras in a 14'X15' room with your seats up against the wall?
Isn't that like "wanting" organ damage?
Old 03-25-2015, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidK442 View Post
Always liked your room. Glad to see an update. Did the new JVC come in?
Wanting more than dual Ultras in a 14'X15' room with your seats up against the wall?
Isn't that like "wanting" organ damage?

Thanks. Yes the 4910 is up and doing well. No more visible pixels, better contrast, but my calibrated RS20 had better skin tones. I have about 3 ft of space from back of the seat to the wall but who knows, I may eventually fill that back space with subs

The world of HT bass is pretty intense these days and new better performing subs popping up. So far I'm really looking at sealed subs.

Possibly a pair of T-18's: 6 x 18's and 8000 watts vs. the Ultras: 2x 13.5 and 2000 watts. Yeah this hobby is crazy.

Old 03-27-2015, 07:20 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobZ View Post
Thanks. Yes the 4910 is up and doing well. No more visible pixels, better contrast, but my calibrated RS20 had better skin tones. I have about 3 ft of space from back of the seat to the wall but who knows, I may eventually fill that back space with subs

The world of HT bass is pretty intense these days and new better performing subs popping up. So far I'm really looking at sealed subs.

Possibly a pair of T-18's: 6 x 18's and 8000 watts vs. the Ultras: 2x 13.5 and 2000 watts. Yeah this hobby is crazy.
was there a big different going from RS20 to 4910?
Old 04-12-2015, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by femi View Post
was there a big different going from RS20 to 4910?

Now that I've put 100 hours on it I would say definitely YES for my screen size and 1x screen width viewing. If it were a smaller screen I'd probably wait for true 4k. I needed the additional lumens and faux 4k for my viewing distance. Very good material looks outstanding on it and poor material stands out even more now. The colors on my RS20 were nicer because it was calibrated. The 4910 is not calibrated yet. The RS20 was also quieter in high lamp, though the RS4910 is brighter in low lamp (even with the aparature clamped down a bit) than my RS20 in high after 1k hours.

Old 04-13-2015, 01:53 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Did you decide on subs? All your choices are great and there's not a bad one there.
Old 04-13-2015, 05:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7channelfreak View Post
Did you decide on subs? All your choices are great and there's not a bad one there.
I'm really leaning towards a pair of S2's to allow me to place one at the screen wall and one nearfield behind the seating on the riser to take advantage of the additional tactile experience like you did. Though it looks like you have yours on a second level. The second option is a pair of the new 1400 Caps which are substantially less though near equal above tune. I've also put some thought into a pair of Submersives but considering they would be equal to a single S2 it's unlikely I'd go that route.

Yesterday I was watching The Purge Anarchy at -5 below reference but the pair of Ultras (one which will be going to a family member and SVS taking back the second) running 5db hot and I started questioning why I was wanting a swap at all considering how well they were performing. But you know how it goes, always wanting either better or the best.

Back when I bought the first Ultra (I believe 2008) it was a simple choice. Now there's so many options. With Reaction coming out with the 218 it's an even tougher choice but I think I really prefer ultimate performance over bang for the buck. The Ultras will outperform the 218's around tune so that would be barely above a lateral move.

The S2's seem to have everything, especially for a space (2100 cu ft) that isn't too hard to fill.

BTW, your audio setup is excellent. I can only imagine how it sounds AND feels!

Last edited by RobZ; 04-13-2015 at 05:14 PM.
Old 04-13-2015, 05:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I'm really leaning towards a pair of S2's to allow me to place one at the screen wall and one nearfield behind the seating on the riser to take advantage of the additional tactile experience like you did. Though it looks like you have yours on a second level. The second option is a pair of the new 1400 Caps which are substantially less though near equal above tune. I've also put some thought into a pair of Submersives but considering they would be equal to a single S2 it's unlikely I'd go that route.

Yesterday I was watching The Purge Anarchy at -5 below reference but the pair of Ultras (one which will be going to a family member and SVS taking back the second) running 5db hot and I started questioning why I was wanting a swap at all considering how well they were performing. But you know how it goes, always wanting either better or the best.

Back when I bought the first Ultra (I believe 2008) it was a simple choice. Now there's so many options. With Reaction coming out with the 218 it's an even tougher choice but I think I really prefer ultimate performance over bang for the buck. The Ultras will outperform the 218's around tune so that would be barely above a lateral move.
Haha. You're traveling the same path as I have. I had dual svs PB13 Ultras in my last house. And when I moved over here in October '13, I started the upgrade path. They are a pretty big kick in the pants. I have zero regrets! Let us know what you decide.

We have home theater meets in Houston every few months, not sure where you are but you're welcome to join in if you can get away for a day.
RobZ likes this.

Last edited by 7channelfreak; 04-13-2015 at 05:19 PM.
Old 04-15-2015, 05:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked: 318
So you are leaning towards a pair of S2's. Very nice choice and you will definitely will not be disappointed!
RobZ likes this.
Old 04-15-2015, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction View Post
So you are leaning towards a pair of S2's. Very nice choice and you will definitely will not be disappointed!
Either a pair of S2's, an S2 and a S1 behind seating or, just a single S2 to start. From everything I've reviewed it seems like one of these combos will keep me away from the subwoofer section of AVS for a very long time. I gave Jeff a call today but I'm sure he's busy taking today's Cap 1400 orders.

As funny as it sounds, I'm actually worried about any superficial damage that the S2's may cause with the ULF. The room is next to our great room with a 20 ft tall limestone tiled fireplace about 12 ft from the room. I'll post a pic in a bit. After hearing about falling lightbulbs and cracked grout at sub GTG's it's got me thinking a bit. Then again, if people are doing it in second level rooms it can't be that bad.
Pain Infliction likes this.

Last edited by RobZ; 04-15-2015 at 03:34 PM.
Old 04-16-2015, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Haha. You're traveling the same path as I have. I had dual svs PB13 Ultras in my last house. And when I moved over here in October '13, I started the upgrade path. They are a pretty big kick in the pants. I have zero regrets! Let us know what you decide.

We have home theater meets in Houston every few months, not sure where you are but you're welcome to join in if you can get away for a day.

Quote:

I ended up placing an order with Jeff that will probably be a first of several to continue the upgrade path. Instead of an S2 ended up going with dual S1's, one passive and the other active with the S2's 4000 watt amp (master/slave). I think the next step will possibly be adding a second pair for a quad set in my room. The S1's will be a better fit and allow for better configuration possibilities. Four of these massive 18's and 8000 watts in a 2100 cu foot sealed room will probably top the Ultras.

Last edited by RobZ; 04-16-2015 at 02:41 PM.
Old 04-16-2015, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I ended up placing an order with Jeff that will probably be a first of several to continue the upgrade path. Instead of an S2 ended up going with dual S1's, one passive and the other active with the S2's 4000 watt amp (master/slave). I think the next step will possibly be adding a second pair for a quad set in my room. The S1's will be a better fit and allow for better configuration possibilities. Four of these massive 18's and 8000 watts in a 2100 cu foot sealed room will probably top the Ultras.

As long as you have a pair at the front as master/slave and a pair at the rear as master/slave, you should be fine. However, having a master up front and slave behind your seats will cause delay issues resulting in sub par performance. The master/slave set can be eq'ed and time aligned collectively and not individually. Eq is not that big of a deal because you can eq them as a group once they have the proper delays added, but time aligning them definitely is a big deal.
RobZ likes this.
Old 04-16-2015, 02:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Very nice!! I look forward to getting your impressions.
Old 04-16-2015, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
As long as you have a pair at the front as master/slave and a pair at the rear as master/slave, you should be fine. However, having a master up front and slave behind your seats will cause delay issues resulting in sub par performance. The master/slave set can be eq'ed and time aligned collectively and not individually. Eq is not that big of a deal because you can eq them as a group once they have the proper delays added, but time aligning them definitely is a big deal.
Good point. I was taking that in to consideration when think of opting for Submersives. Yeah the pair will be placed at the front, equidistant from the MLP, where my ultras currently are. A second set would be behind the seating, also equidistant. I guess an alternative would be a pair in the front corners and a pair in the rear corners. I've been reading through Toole's book and the chapter on subs has some recommendations on placement of quad subs that has me thinking about placement possibilities.

Last edited by RobZ; 04-16-2015 at 03:01 PM.
Old 04-17-2015, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Very nice!! I look forward to getting your impressions.

I'm pretty excited about the four S1's vs two S2's. I have limited space and this allows me to try a couple of different placement configurations. If I wouldn't have went this route I would have jumped on the sale Seaton's having on their demo Submersives.

Old 04-17-2015, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I finalized the order for two more of the S1's from Jeff. There will be two sets of S1's and two 4000 watt amps.

Another system that I really want to start on is a two channel audio in the library. Acoustics may be a bit tough in this room because it has high ceilings (just over 16 ft), hard floors, etc. The windows are now covered with a dark brown velvet like drapes and the shelves are full of books top to bottom. Here are a couple of cell pics from the room when empty. I'd like a pair of Legacy Focus SE's powered by a pair of monoblocks and seating for two.

Last edited by RobZ; 04-17-2015 at 04:27 PM.
Old 04-17-2015, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Shelves full of books is like a giant diffuser.

Looks great!
Old 04-17-2015, 04:31 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Wicked library room! Maybe you could stagger the books to act like diffusers... Lol. Nice room. Love the old school - turn of the century look.
Old 04-17-2015, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Shelves full of books is like a giant diffuser.

Looks great!
Thanks. Definitely plenty of diffusion. I'm thinking of adding ATS Acoustics photo acoustic panels to the opposite wall for absorption. The floor will have a wool rug & carpet pad under it.

http://www.atsacoustics.com/art-acoustic-panels.html

Sponsored Links
Advertisement