Screen size & projector mount help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 07-13-2012, 06:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a 14'x15' Home theater room that I will be using a Epson 3010 Projector What size screen would be best for this projector & room dimensions as well as what ceiling mount would you guys recommend? I believe the ceiling to be 12'-15' high ( I know big difference ) I haven't moved in to my new house yet so I haven't got an exact height yet.

Also I plan on having a riser located at the back of the room that's going to be 4"-6" high (depending recommendation on height) with a couch that is 7' long & 4' wide (6ft when reclined) plus two recliners in front that are 3' tall.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-13-2012, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 55
That's going to be pretty tight for two rows of seating - the couch will almost have to be all the way up against the back wall, which is not great from an acoustics point of view - but if the couch is mostly for overflow seating, and most of the time you'll be using the row of recliners in the front row, you might be fine with that.

With that high a ceiling, I wouldn't do a ceiling mount, as you'd need a super long extension pole, would look nasty. I'd put it on a high rear shelf in the back (assuming there's a wall there, and its not part of an open concept).

If the couch was up against the wall, figure at least 4' deep riser, maybe more - gives you 10'-11' distance from front seats to the screen. There are guidelines for how far to sit (http://myhometheater.homestead.com/viewingdistancecalculator.html), so you can start with those - but a lot of it comes down to preference. I would get the projector, mount it, and watch some movies on the wall (or a sheet) initially, to determine what size you like. My preference is very immersive, so I sit a lot closer than the guidelines would recommend (12' from 136" wide for cinemascope; 114" wide for 16:9).
EpicVegas likes this.
post #3 of 5 Old 07-13-2012, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
You may want to consider a space saving row of chairs (single row). You can fit five across easily if you do the chair,loveseat, chair configuration. This will allow you to fit the same number of people as the sofa and pair of chairs.

Example: http://www.laaudiofile.com/images/palliser_pepper_41942.jpg
post #4 of 5 Old 07-14-2012, 08:44 AM

Liked: 11
Here is my input fwiw. My room is a bit smaller at 11.5' x 14.75'. Originally I had a 120" screen which when almost from one wall to the other, and sat as far back in the room as possible. Although it was nice and big, I personally found it too big. A friend of mine actually got motion sickness playing some games on it... I am redoing the room and now I have a 92" screen. The nice thing is, now I can put my sofa a bit closer to the screen which makes placement of rear/side speakers possible. It also leaves room for my towers beside the screen (your room is wider so you wouldn't have this problem I don't think).

If I was only watching movies I would have done a 110" or so, but games I actually like the screen a tad smaller. Really you need to do what Brad suggested and wait on getting the screen until you have tried a few screen sizes in the room, otherwise you may regret your decision based on what other people like. I ordered a screen based on the max size that would fit on the wall and ended up regretting it, and getting a new one a year later.
EpicVegas likes this.
post #5 of 5 Old 07-14-2012, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thanks! I will be doing a lot of gaming as well in my theater room. I'll try a few sizes and find the best size for the layout of the room.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page