French Door Choices and Acoustical Seals - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 07-13-2012, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I need interior french doors with glass for my living/HT room. My house is under constuction... just started. I can get double paned metal (foam filled) glass french doors for $455... or double paned wood interior french doors for about $1,200 and buy a weather stripping kit. For either choice, I would like to get acoustical seals, but wondered what kind I needed. Do they just come in 36"? (I need 30".) I could use help with the door choice and the sealant. smile.gif I would very much appreciate any help. Thanks.

P.S. I could also get a nice Pella exerior door with an STC rating of 35 put on the inside, but it's $2,500 and would need to put in a jamb on the floor... which is not really in keeping with an interior look.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2012, 08:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Tell us a little more about the space (pictures help). Why do you "need" french doors? If it is a combo living/HT room, is it open to other rooms or closed off? Have the plans been finalized, or is there room to make modifications?
Old 07-13-2012, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter

Here's a drawing of a 19' X 15' Living Room. Ceilings are 10'... probably a boxed beam ceilling. The pocket doors are now French Doors. I've already engaged in a fair amount of "discussion" with my wife on the layout.
Old 07-13-2012, 09:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Then I guess it comes down to what your goals are for the room. Open multi-use area or HT. Nothing wrong with either choice, it's just better to figure out the room usage and goals first. With 3 doorways and a window, sound containment may prove to be quite a challenge. How far along is the construction? Is there an option for your wife to have the living room off the kitchen to her tastes, and perhaps a room of similar size in the basement (if you have one) that could become a dedicated theater room?
Old 07-13-2012, 09:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWCR View Post

Then I guess it comes down to what your goals are for the room. Open multi-use area or HT. Nothing wrong with either choice, it's just better to figure out the room usage and goals first. With 3 doorways and a window, sound containment may prove to be quite a challenge. How far along is the construction? Is there an option for your wife to have the living room off the kitchen to her tastes, and perhaps a room of similar size in the basement (if you have one) that could become a dedicated theater room?

I will have a dedicated HT in the basement... no restrictions. However, I want something pretty decent upstairs... I view it as a challenge with parameters. The basement has just been poured, For the LIving Room, I ordered exterior French doors with an STC rating of 35 and the window has an STC of 32. I will have DD GG walls and ceiling. I have Paradigm Studio speakers and a Panasonic P65VT50. if I can figure out a way to keep from losing too much from the two French doors, I'm hoping to have a blended room that will be used quite often. I may be hoping for too much.
Old 07-14-2012, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Check out this thread for inspiration:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1259917/richs-variable-image-size-system

Rich has done a fabulous job with a mixed use room.
Anhydro likes this.

High Desert Theater - work in progress
Building Bass - Subs

Surrounds - Easy as Pi

Storage - unRAID unDELL

Old 07-15-2012, 08:18 PM - Thread Starter

I'm still looking for some help on the interior french door selection for my Living/HT room. I would appreciate any thougts or recommendations. Thanks!
Old 07-16-2012, 06:05 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked: 738
just some items

http://www.soundproofwindows.com/soundproofing_panels.html#

http://www.soundproofingcompany.com/soundproofing-products/door-bottom-jamb-stop/

http://absupply.net/weatherstripping-perimeter-seal-adjustable.aspx

there are a number of companies making automatic door bottoms, Yes they come in various lengths. Some get mortised into the bottom of the door and are hidden, some mount to the face of the door. Zero is a top brand.

this is an example of a mortised version

364A%20Door%20%28open%29%20%28HR%29-web.jpg

The last item is the crack between the doors, I know they make something I just don't know where to find it.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:11 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked: 738
Found it, Just Google soundproof astragal

328D%20full%20Door%20%28LR%29%20-2.jpg
Old 07-16-2012, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

just some items
http://www.soundproofwindows.com/soundproofing_panels.html#
http://www.soundproofingcompany.com/soundproofing-products/door-bottom-jamb-stop/
http://absupply.net/weatherstripping-perimeter-seal-adjustable.aspx
there are a number of companies making automatic door bottoms, Yes they come in various lengths. Some get mortised into the bottom of the door and are hidden, some mount to the face of the door. Zero is a top brand.
this is an example of a mortised version
364A%20Door%20%28open%29%20%28HR%29-web.jpg
The last item is the crack between the doors, I know they make something I just don't know where to find it.

Thanks! I saw this item on a website, but pictured it in my head on the outside of the door... your pic is very helpful... and a lot cleaner looking. I suppose I can call some of the companies in the links to find out what is between the two doors.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

Found it, Just Google soundproof astragal
328D%20full%20Door%20%28LR%29%20-2.jpg

Thanks Big. I've been looking for something like this.

-

Is it solipsistic in here, or is it just me?