Lina acoustic vs owen corning oc 703 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 07-17-2012, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Anybody has any comments on Linaacoustic vs owen corning oc 703 for bass traps and as absorption? I want to compare 2 inch of Linaacoustic since it is available only in 1 inch.

Is it easy to do job for panels using Linaacoustic vs oc 703?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 07-17-2012, 08:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Johns Manfield IS300 Linaccoustic is virtually the same thing as OC703. Around here we can't get Owens Corning but there is a Johns Manfield plant within an hour from my town. When I was pricing the IS300 and looking at the options, The 2" version WAS available, but for the price difference I decided to glue one layer on top of the other! I have to save money somewhere!!!

Here is a link to Bob Gold's absorbtion table. You can see the results on each product for yourself.

http://www.bobgolds.com/AbsorptionCoefficients.htm

Oh, and BTW...after researching bass traps, I decided to NOT use rigid insulation (superchunk) and instead spanned the corners with standard faced insulation (r13). Supposedly that provides better bass trapping.
post #3 of 17 Old 07-17-2012, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoSport View Post

Johns Manfield IS300 Linaccoustic is virtually the same thing as OC703. Around here we can't get Owens Corning but there is a Johns Manfield plant within an hour from my town. When I was pricing the IS300 and looking at the options, The 2" version WAS available, but for the price difference I decided to glue one layer on top of the other! I have to save money somewhere!!!
Here is a link to Bob Gold's absorbtion table. You can see the results on each product for yourself.
http://www.bobgolds.com/AbsorptionCoefficients.htm
Oh, and BTW...after researching bass traps, I decided to NOT use rigid insulation (superchunk) and instead spanned the corners with standard faced insulation (r13). Supposedly that provides better bass trapping.

Thanks for the reply. Is R13 available in any stores? I am assuming this is same as pink material that people talk about with GFR 5000. I think it is hard to build bass traps with these material since it is pluffy. Did you follow any web site or link?
post #4 of 17 Old 07-17-2012, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 104
JM IS300 is essentially the same as OC703. Both are 3pcf rigid insulation boards and will have similar absorption coefficients. However, JM Linacoustic is a different product that comes in rolls and is usually used as a duct liner. I believe it is only 1.5pcf so the absorption coefficients are different than the other products. I don't think I've ever seen it used for bass trapping like the rigid insulation board or the pink fluffy stuff. It's commonly used on front and side walls for absorption.
post #5 of 17 Old 07-17-2012, 02:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukumar View Post

Thanks for the reply. Is R13 available in any stores? I am assuming this is same as pink material that people talk about with GFR 5000. I think it is hard to build bass traps with these material since it is pluffy. Did you follow any web site or link?

R13 is standard pink (or yellow) faced insulation batts. I bought 24" wide pieces to span my front corners and front ceiling to wall angle. CHEAP stuff. What I did was attach a furring strip (wood), vertically, to the appropriete place on my front wall on both sides. I wanna say they were about 15" out from the corners, but not 100% on that. Next, I stapled the sides of the insulation facing to that board the the back side of my front false wall, basically covering the corner at a 45 degree angle. And lastly, even though my wife yelled at me for the fumes, I spray painted the facing with cheap flat black paint. Worked great and was one of the easier things to do in the theater!
post #6 of 17 Old 07-17-2012, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

R13 is standard pink (or yellow) faced insulation batts. I bought 24" wide pieces to span my front corners and front ceiling to wall angle. CHEAP stuff. What I did was attach a furring strip (wood), vertically, to the appropriete place on my front wall on both sides. I wanna say they were about 15" out from the corners, but not 100% on that. Next, I stapled the sides of the insulation facing to that board the the back side of my front false wall, basically covering the corner at a 45 degree angle. And lastly, even though my wife yelled at me for the fumes, I spray painted the facing with cheap flat black paint. Worked great and was one of the easier things to do in the theater!

Thanks for sharing. It is interesting on how you build it. I am taking my friend's help for building bass traps. He is able to do using oc 703. I will evaluate R13 as well.
post #7 of 17 Old 07-17-2012, 09:17 PM
Advanced Member

FYI, according to several here, the fluffy insulation has better bass absorbtion than rigid fiberglass (OC703 or IS300) and it's a heck of a lot cheaper! You can make superchunk style traps by building support shelves every couple feet (it can't support its own weight) or span the corners like I (and others) did.

Good luck on your project.
post #8 of 17 Old 07-18-2012, 07:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

FYI, according to several here, the fluffy insulation has better bass absorbtion than rigid fiberglass (OC703 or IS300) and it's a heck of a lot cheaper! You can make superchunk style traps by building support shelves every couple feet (it can't support its own weight) or span the corners like I (and others) did.
Good luck on your project.

I also read about it. GFR (how easy bass enters) is good for pink vs oc 703. However, people said if you have more space go for pink stuff. I wonder if I have space for 17x17x24 or 24x24x34, still pink stuff R13 useful or not. I am assuming that this is available from any Home depot.
post #9 of 17 Old 07-18-2012, 03:11 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I called a few insulation places around my town and found one that carries just about everything. I was able to get some un-faced JM 814 duct liner boards (2'x4'x1") for about $6.50 each. Going to use them behind my screen wall.

Talking with one of the people on the phone she told me about the 814 since it was a bit cheaper and still a 3lb pcf density. Plus I could buy exactly what I needed and not be stuck with a huge roll.

Place I bought it from is called E.J. Bartells and they have about 10 locations scattered around. They do sell to the general public, where the first couple of places I tried only sold to contractors.

Here's info on the JM 814

http://www.jm.com/insulation/performance_materials/products/ci9_800series_spin-glas.pdf

Beware of the OC Pink R13/19/R30. I insulated my attic last fall with their un-faced R30 pink insulation and the stuff smelled something awful. The smell as finally just about faded away just this month.. The white JM faced R13 I used around the basement had no odor at all.
post #10 of 17 Old 07-19-2012, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:

I also read about it. GFR (how easy bass enters) is good for pink vs oc 703. However, people said if you have more space go for pink stuff. I wonder if I have space for 17x17x24 or 24x24x34, still pink stuff R13 useful or not. I am assuming that this is available from any Home depot.

34" faced minimum for low GFR material.

porous insulation is a velocity-based absorber; thus, the insulation needs to be placed (spaced away from rigid boundary) into areas of high particle velocity to be most effective. as you build thicker and thicker porous-only LF absorbers (to space the insulation further from the boundary into areas of higher particle velocity for the longer (lower) wavelengths), you'll want to use a material with lower flow-resistivity. if doing this approach, take care that the fluffy insulation is NOT compressed and LOOSELY filled. if stacking vertical chunks in the corner, utilize horizontal supports every few ft to minimize compression of the lower layers. or, more ideally, hang strips of pink fluffy from the ceiling down (using gravity to your advantage),- with wider and wider strips as the layers increase and protrude out/away from the corner (creating a corner chunk of vertically 'hung' strips of insulation).
post #11 of 17 Old 07-19-2012, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by localhost127 View Post

34" faced minimum for low GFR material.
porous insulation is a velocity-based absorber; thus, the insulation needs to be placed (spaced away from rigid boundary) into areas of high particle velocity to be most effective. as you build thicker and thicker porous-only LF absorbers (to space the insulation further from the boundary into areas of higher particle velocity for the longer (lower) wavelengths), you'll want to use a material with lower flow-resistivity. if doing this approach, take care that the fluffy insulation is NOT compressed and LOOSELY filled. if stacking vertical chunks in the corner, utilize horizontal supports every few ft to minimize compression of the lower layers. or, more ideally, hang strips of pink fluffy from the ceiling down (using gravity to your advantage),- with wider and wider strips as the layers increase and protrude out/away from the corner (creating a corner chunk of vertically 'hung' strips of insulation).
Thanks localhost. I enjoy reading your posts.

Unfortunately, I settled to OC 703 and just bought six boxes of them. I only have 1 and 1/2 feet on each side of the screen. So, only 17x17x24 will work for me.I never knew anything about speaker placement, acoustics when I set up my home theater.

I am planning to put them in four corners from floor to the ceiling and also left to right on screen wall and on the back. I will also try to add more absorption panels and will see how it improves performance. I don't like smell of OC 703. Hopefully, it will wear down.
post #12 of 17 Old 07-19-2012, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:

Hopefully, it will wear down.

It does
post #13 of 17 Old 07-19-2012, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte View Post

It does
Thanks. I was little upset when I did smell. Good to know that with time, it will get better.
post #14 of 17 Old 07-19-2012, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:

Thanks localhost. I enjoy reading your posts.
Unfortunately, I settled to OC 703 and just bought six boxes of them. I only have 1 and 1/2 feet on each side of the screen. So, only 17x17x24 will work for me.I never knew anything about speaker placement, acoustics when I set up my home theater.
I am planning to put them in four corners from floor to the ceiling and also left to right on screen wall and on the back. I will also try to add more absorption panels and will see how it improves performance. I don't like smell of OC 703. Hopefully, it will wear down.

cool.gifcool.gif
have fun!
post #15 of 17 Old 07-19-2012, 09:05 PM
Scott Horton, techht.com

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 60
FYI, I insulated my personal theater with 2 layers of OC R30 in the 20" trusses that make up the ceiling structure. The smell was so bad I complained to OC. They came out inspected, agreed, and paid me for the cost to replace it with a different brand. Very good of them really. I can't say enough good about their customer service. But 'd be careful using OC pink inside. Their new binder has an odor, I don't think they are expecting people like us to put it inside living spaces. I replaced it with Knauff.

Cheers,
Scott
post #16 of 17 Old 07-20-2012, 03:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetGray View Post

FYI, I insulated my personal theater with 2 layers of OC R30 in the 20" trusses that make up the ceiling structure. The smell was so bad I complained to OC. They came out inspected, agreed, and paid me for the cost to replace it with a different brand. Very good of them really. I can't say enough good about their customer service. But 'd be careful using OC pink inside. Their new binder has an odor, I don't think they are expecting people like us to put it inside living spaces. I replaced it with Knauff.
Cheers,
Scott
Thanks for sharing. Hopefully OC 703 will wear down quickly for smell. All the boxes are lying in my garage. They smell like dried Fish in Asian markets;-). I wonder if there is anyway like putting them in sun etc that I can do now to loose smell quickly.
post #17 of 17 Old 07-20-2012, 08:55 AM
Scott Horton, techht.com

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 60
The one I dealt with was the pink stuff. The new binder they use is "green" and that''s where the smell came from. It wasn't the familiar dead fish smell. I think the 703 uses the commercial (itchy) binder that has the edad fish smell. My Linacoustic had that smell when new.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction